Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Need oil filter wrench

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Oil Level / Temperature Sensor
The new ultrasonic sensor

Measuring frequency > 10 Hz

from where it sends an ultrasonic pulse

So it's definitely ultrasonic. It looks like the dealers head mechanic might have skipped a class.
I'm thinking there was a typo in here but don't want to start a bunch of back and forth, just wanted to point it out. 10Hz is actually SUBsonic. Anything from approx. 20Hz to 20kHz is withing the range of human hearing (just not everyone and over time you hear less) and over 20kHz is ultrasonic. Maybe they meant 10mHz? Or 40kHz?

At 10Hz it would be a really long wave so the wave wouldn't even be fully formed in the space of the oilpan. Not even close. So not sure of how it would measure it. My guess is they left off a higher frequency designation because if it was 10kHz you probably still wouldn't hear it because there wouldn't be enough amplification.

So now I conclude my layman's physics class (not the audience, but the teacher). But I at least know that number ain't right

Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I'm thinking there was a typo in here but don't want to start a bunch of back and forth, just wanted to point it out. 10Hz is actually SUBsonic. Anything from approx. 20Hz to 20kHz is withing the range of human hearing (just not everyone and over time you hear less) and over 20kHz is ultrasonic. Maybe they meant 10mHz? Or 40kHz?

At 10Hz it would be a really long wave so the wave wouldn't even be fully formed in the space of the oilpan. Not even close. So not sure of how it would measure it. My guess is they left off a higher frequency designation because if it was 10kHz you probably still wouldn't hear it because there wouldn't be enough amplification.

So now I conclude my layman's physics class (not the audience, but the teacher). But I at least know that number ain't right
Can I play please?

The notions of ultrasonic and subsonic address two different areas.

Ultrasonic is as you describe above the level of human hearing.

Subsonic relates to a speed below the speed of sound.

Carry on, I was just passing by

Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Absolutely false.

Of course DYI (sic) might mean something different than DIY.
Why do you say that?

The DIY typo was obvious, autocorrect is sometimes a nuisance, but you"ll find the warranty is clear.

Do you have some source that confirms that the buyer may sidestep the warranty?

Old 07-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR

10 Hz is the sample frequency - oil level and temperature are measured 10 times a second.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXFireblade:
DPK (07-18-2015), jagular (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member

Seems likely the frequency should be written as 10 MHz. If it refers to the sound wave frequency used as this level is used for ultrasound technology. Some sources suggest KHz is the range used.

Jaguar is using the same or similar sensors to other manufacturers like Audi. As for the accuracy of my information its at least as likely I didn't remember accurately since the discussion took place shortly after I bought my current XF.

These devices are extremely accurate and generate a fault signal when they fail to be so.

Still wonder if the sensor has to be calibrated after an oil change.

Last edited by jagular; 07-18-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Why do you say that?

The DIY typo was obvious, autocorrect is sometimes a nuisance, but you"ll find the warranty is clear.

Do you have some source that confirms that the buyer may sidestep the warranty?
Onus is on you to substantiate the claim that oil changes must be performed by the dealer to retain the car's warranty.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Seems likely the frequency should be written as 10 MHz. If it refers to the sound wave frequency used as this level is used for ultrasound technology. Some sources suggest KHz is the range used.

No need to interpret or change anything. The system samples at 10Hz. The frequency of the transmission signal is not specified and is irrelevant to the discussion. It is simply an ultrasonic signal which is transmitted and the reflection received, the value is then compared with a calibration signal from known distance. The frequency of the transmission and how it propagates through the oil is all that matters (I doubt the frequency even matters to be honest but whatever). This transmission is continuous, sampled 10 times a second to provide a reading.

The following users liked this post:
DPK (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Modern cars are very difficult to work on and you rarely save enough money to make it worthwhile.
I would strongly disagree with both of these statements. Unless you have access to a dealer with hourly rates the likes of which none of us have ever seen, the amount of money you save can vary, but you do always save money. (While we're there, let's not forget the dealer's mark-up on parts as well, which can vary from "a bit more than online" to "laughable".)

How much you value the money you save varies as well, of course, and I know people who will happily pay the extra money to have the dealer get their hands dirty rather than them. I'm not for one second calling into question this decision, but the key is that they're aware the money they're spending can often be sizeable (and therefore the savings they could reap by doing it themselves can be equally sizeable) but happy to pay it.

It's still incorrect to say you won't save money. You will. Whether you view it as "worth it" is entirely subjective.

DYI oil changes while the car is under warranty has to be right up close to the top bone headed attempt to save money. In Canada it would be plain crazy as the warranty would be void with no recourse.

Anyone who might learn something by changing the oil on his or her Jaguar doesn't know enough to do that job.
This may apply when solely talking about oil changes (and I appreciate that is the topic of this thread), but you clearly stated this applied to "all other maintenance", and that simply isn't true.

DPK (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yarpos
Can I play please?

The notions of ultrasonic and subsonic address two different areas.

Ultrasonic is as you describe above the level of human hearing.

Subsonic relates to a speed below the speed of sound.

Carry on, I was just passing by
The layman stands corrected! The correct term is infrasonic. So I learned something.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 361 Likes on 273 Posts

This thread was by ONE who lives to stir up BS! By quoting conjecture..LOL

Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Jeez ... all the guy wanted was a recommendation on an oil filter wrench.

Hope his oil is changed now.

For the oil level sensor, look up TDR. Time domain reflectometry.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Jeez ... all the guy wanted was a recommendation on an oil filter wrench.

Hope his oil is changed now.

For the oil level sensor, look up TDR. Time domain reflectometry.
It seems Jaguar uses the sonar based system (ultrasonic type) and not radio wave type.

The unanswered question which may be of some importance to DIY types is whether the oil level sensor needs to be reset or recalibrated when the oil change is completed.

As for whether DIY saves you enough money to be worthwhile on a modern luxury car that is an objective measure fairly easy to calculate. For work such as brake repair, exhaust renewal, minor suspension work, oil changes or spark plug changes (the work that used to save you some money) it would be unusual if anyone saved enough to make it worthwhile.

It might be worthwhile changing a headlight bulb, if you don't have bi xenons. Tailight bulbs are now LED so you shouldn't need to change them.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:21 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I think this is turning into a strength of "I'm always correct even when I'm wrong and I'll NEVER admit when I am" (which is a lot) or in other words, it's like

Old 07-19-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

AKA 'troll'.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,802 Likes on 7,120 Posts

You might possibly save $50 doing your own oil change, once per year, maybe. For me that would cost me around $400 in lost time.

Sure, if *all* of your time each day is dedicated to generating income. Is it? All 24 hours?

If inclined, you could take some of your non-income generating time (the time you'd spend watching a sports game on TV, let's say) and change your oil. You'd be saving a few dollars .....with no loss of income.

Cheers
DD

DPK (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi all,
I don't have a dog in this fight, but figured I'd toss in some definitions in case they would be of service to anyone.

pe·dan·tic (pe-dăn′tĭk)

Characterized by a narrow concern for book learning and formal rules, without knowledge or experience of practical matters:

Narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned

Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for academic knowledge and formal rules

Overly concerned with minute details or formalisms, esp. in teaching.

Marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects

ALSO SEE:
Hairsplitting, particular, formal, precise, fussy, picky, nit-picking,
punctilious, priggish, pedagogic, **** retentive, academic, pompous,
schoolmasterly, stilted, erudite, scholastic, didactic, bookish, abstruse,
donnish, sententious.

Rock on, y'all ......!

Last edited by retromotors; 07-19-2015 at 10:19 AM.
DPK (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by retromotors
Hi all,
I don't have a dog in this fight, but figured I'd toss in some definitions in case they would be of service to anyone.

peĀ·danĀ·tic (pe-dăn′tĭk)

Characterized by a narrow concern for book learning and formal rules, without knowledge or experience of practical matters:

Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for academic knowledge and formal rules

Marked by a narrow focus on or display of learning especially its trivial aspects

ALSO SEE:
donnish, sententious.

Rock on, y'all ......!
This reminds me very much of my education by professors in the UC system. They knew much from books, but little by doing. I worked in a small business before and after graduating. And little I was taught did anything to prepare me for that environment. What it did do is teach me to think.

It seems that Jagular likes to teach others as my professors did. He has mechanics to defer to and books to read from, but when it comes to how the world really works for the common man, he has no perspective. And he is inflexible in the face of facts that contradict his own opinions.

So everyone on the forum should realize, he does not argue with you completely for ego or to be right. He truly believes what he is telling you, however misguided. But also know that he argues from the same place as my professors, with good in mind and lots of "knowledge", but little context.

And Jagular, please do not take this as a personal attack. It's your perspective, and many times you are right, but only in the vacuum of academia. In the over two years I've been on this forum I've seen numerous exchanges such as this.

You need to make a decision...be right (but sometimes wrong as we all are) and be disliked...or be less stubborn and be a resource. You often have good information, but you won't allow people to to digest it on their own. And you do it in a pompous way and always have to have the last word which really turns people off.

Again to all, this is just me trying to bring everyone together to make the forum more productive, fun and less contentious.

Now let's all sing Kumbaya

DPK (07-19-2015)
Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Coincidently, my DIC's 'Service Reminder' just started to pop up again (it's been almost a year now since the last oil change)..I'll be taking it in next month for it's oil change (it's free)...(try saying all that in mixed company)

While I'm there I will inquire about this so-called Recalibration event, if and when it's needed, if ever...
Also, I'm going to have the brake fluid purged and changed, along with the coolant. I'm taking in distilled water for them to mix with concentrate..cuz they told me they use just tap water..a no-no in my book...Wonder how much extra that will all be? (Brutal?)

Last edited by DPK; 07-19-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow, arrogance knows no bounds! Bone headed? now there's a mature remark. Well, I asked a simple question and got a simple(minded) answer. As per Jaguar, service does NOT need to performed by a dealership to remain under warranty.

Jagular, you confuse facts with opinions and you're wrong on both counts. I found your remarks to be rude and offensive and I think the thread would have been better off without them, certainly shorter. I'm sure there will be more but I won't waste my time on them.

For the benefit of anyone whose interested I did change the oil and... I didn't have to use the drain plug. A simple $6.00 vacuum pump sucked the oil out just like the dealer. Service reset and oil level verified via dashboard readout. I like this method! No dirt and no jacks. I also like the cartridge filter up high.

Thanks for all the useful replies and I'm glad to see that the majority of posters feel like I do about DIY. It was my first visit to this forum and I was able to get the job done based on what I learned here. Good luck with Old Crusty up north, eh!

The following 3 users liked this post by raschwar:
DPK (07-20-2015), Norri (07-20-2015), panels (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by retromotors
Hi all,

pe·dan·tic (pe-dăn′tĭk)

ALSO SEE:
donnish, sententious.

Rock on, y'all ......!
Trouble is, the pedantic label is often also dished out by people who dont make an effort to get anything right. When confonted with the outcome of that choice, well thats just being pedantic.

Bigg Will (07-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Need oil filter wrench