XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New (2013) owner - Need advice on various items!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New (2013) owner - Need advice on various items!

Hello everyone,

Soon to be new first time owner from Ohio here. Getting a 2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 (RWD) in just a couple of weeks. Very excited, been browsing the forums over the past couple of hours (days?) trying to soak up all the info i'll need in the coming years.

One of the questions I have is with the DVD/USB Video player. I've seen a couple of things tossed around on the forums with people asking questions if this can be "hacked" to allow video playback while driving. While i've seen many questions, haven't really seen anything in the form of a definitive answer, so thought it would be good to see if any of you forum veterans have any help for a newbie! (hopefully this question isn't taboo on the forums, if so, please forgive).

The one i'm getting should have the stock 18" Lyra alloy wheels. I've been considering powder coating these black, but I feel they are too small for the car (I even found another forum post where someone had powder coated their stock wheels, but not sure which ones they were, but they looked great). So my intention is to use the stock wheels for winter, and buy a new set of 20" or 21" (do they make 21"?) that are black. I hadn't really thought about the fitment being a problem, but i've seen a few posts that elude to some rims not being able to fit around the calipers/discs? Thought i'd see if you think I should have concerns about that? I'm hoping to leave the suspension stock, but get some bigger rims/tires with relatively few other modifications to the wheels/brake area. Hopefully you can shed some light here for me.

I've also been looking for info on subwoofers. The XF's i've driven so far just don't have enough bass. I want to add an aftermarket subwoofer(s). I don't want to ruin the classiness of the Jaguar image by making it into something childish, but still want a fair amount of bass (not all the time, just every now and then). I also value my trunk space (golf clubs, traveling, etc.). Has anyone seen or have any custom subwoofer advice? Advice on sound proofing the trunk, so it doesn't rattle? And other questions like these.. really just need advice from the experts.

I'd also be one to change out the inside lighting to LED, if relatively easy. Wonder if anyone has done this? This is another topic i've seen a few questions, but not a lot of definitive, here are some solutions, type of responses.

Other than that, i'm going to get some really nice premium dark tint all the way around (no windshield strip though). But I don't think I have any questions on that (you're off the hook this time).

I know this post is long, but its late and I have many questions and can't wait for some feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Welcome,

I'll try to shed some light on your wheels question. The problem with wheels fitting over brake calipers is on Supercharged and XFR cars due to larger brakes supplied with these models. You didn't say if you were looking for OEM or aftermarket wheels.

Jag OEM wheels larger than yours come in 19's, and 20's. Staggered (wider in back thanfront) and non-staggered (same width all around). Jag uses a 5 x 108, 4.25 bolt pattern. There are less choices in aftermarket wheels than say BMW sizes. As you are not planning on buying a SC or XFR, you shouldn't have a problem stepping up in size with regard to fit. You will need another set of TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensors). There is a running thread on the forum with regard to those you may want to read.

With regard to subwoofer. I have the B&W system in my '11 SC and it provides plenty of everything. Not sure if an upgrade option in the stereo is available in the 2013 model you are looking at, but you may want to look into it.

Hopefully others will chime in on the other issues you've posted.

Post photos when you close the deal!

Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Welcome,

I'll try to shed some light on your wheels question. The problem with wheels fitting over brake calipers is on Supercharged and XFR cars due to larger brakes supplied with these models. You didn't say if you were looking for OEM or aftermarket wheels.

Jag OEM wheels larger than yours come in 19's, and 20's. Staggered (wider in back thanfront) and non-staggered (same width all around). Jag uses a 5 x 108, 4.25 bolt pattern. There are less choices in aftermarket wheels than say BMW sizes. As you are not planning on buying a SC or XFR, you shouldn't have a problem stepping up in size with regard to fit. You will need another set of TPMS (tire pressure monitor sensors). There is a running thread on the forum with regard to those you may want to read.

With regard to subwoofer. I have the B&W system in my '11 SC and it provides plenty of everything. Not sure if an upgrade option in the stereo is available in the 2013 model you are looking at, but you may want to look into it.

Hopefully others will chime in on the other issues you've posted.

Post photos when you close the deal!
Awesome! Thank you for your tips! This will definitely prove handy.

I am probably going to go aftermarket, since the Jaguar rims are very expensive, not sure if there is any justification that can be made to buy the Jaguar over other options? Their prices just don't seem reasonable. And since I didn't order them with the car, they'll end up being more expensive than if I were to order the car with them on it (already checked with the local dealer on this).

Really appreciate your advice and info!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Buying Jag OEM rims from dealer new is expensive. You may be able to find new ones (recent take offs) on ebay, but beware of return polices on remanufactured rims. One or two have purchased wheels from Detroit Tire and Wheel, but not sure if they were OEM or knockoffs. I tried buying an aftermarket 19 inch wheel for winter for my SC. They were a guaranteed fit, but after two tries they have not fit. I may just stay with 20's. I do not trust remanufactured wheels and would buy new aftermarket or recent take offs, or from a member here, but that's me. Wheel shopping is more fun than buying.

Last edited by jaguny; 11-24-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookdorf
Hello everyone,

I'd also be one to change out the inside lighting to LED, if relatively easy. Wonder if anyone has done this? This is another topic i've seen a few questions, but not a lot of definitive, here are some solutions, type of responses.

Thank you in advance!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-thread-82098/

Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Well, its been a few weeks since I got her, but here is a pic. Left is before tint, right is after. 10% all the way around.

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I'm ready to start modding. Really need to get subs quickly, that is my #1 priority. Anyone know much about high to low converters for tapping into the rear speakers for the amplifier? Is something like this (CL-SSI - Car Audio - OEM Interface - OEM Integration - JL Audio) what I need? I'm planning on getting a JL setup, so was thinking about sticking with a JL brand, but I just don't know much about the high to low stuff. The only reason I know to ask is because I was chatting with the guy about it when I got tints done.

I was thinking one of these (CVS112RG-W6v2 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - ProWedge) and one of these (XD600/1 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio) to round out the audio system. Can anyone provide any feedback at all? I definitely want some thumpin bass for the weekends, but also want to turn it down when not rocking out, and just have a good sounding system for everyday use.

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails New (2013) owner - Need advice on various items!-16gkimo.jpg