XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New Wheels & TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 05:27 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New Wheels & TPMS

I just picked up a set of 20" Black Draco wheels for my XFR. The dealership told me the that I need 4 New TPMS sensors because chances are the old ones will break if they try to take them off my current wheels and install on the new ones. Is this true? They quoted $150.00 x 4 for the sensors. They also quoted $190 to program and calibrate the TPMS sensors on top of $180 to mount/balance/install. Any input on the TPMS and calibration would be greatly appreciated including where I can find them cheaper if needed?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

That sounds rich all around. They are a relatively standard ford branded TPMS sensor.

If they are the right sensor then the car should pick them up on its own as described in the manual. I had a second set purchased in my snow tires and rims that would not register. I had them send me a new set, they were picked up no problem just by driving the car.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

The cost per sensor is a little excessive. Sensors range from $30-$50 on most sites. Of course you need to fine one that will work for your car. I don't know if anyone has posted about the TPMS calibration sequence. Like cwood noted above, I'd expect the system to pick up the new sensors on it's own after a few miles.

Here they are listed on rockauto.com but I'm not sure which frequency will work. All of them should work since they are listed but it would be nice to here from someone that has tried a particular sensor on the XF with good results.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 03-13-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Check tirerack for the cost of TPMS sensors for your vehicle.
I did a new set of rims and tires with TPMS sensor for my 2011 XF SC to see and it came to:

Your system includes:
315MHz Tire Pressure Sensor
$232.00 for a quantity of 4

You might be able to find them cheaper but that is already less than half what your were quoted, plus shipping and taxes of course. Question is if the price quoted from your dealer includes installation and how much he would charge if you brought your own. That might wipe out any savings and with the dealer supplied part you have the warranty and complaining guarantee.

The cost for mounting/balance seems to be in ballpark what I paid for a new set mounted on my XF and my R500 each at an independent tire place in January. So I would go with your dealer for the warranty and complaining reason.

As for the reprogramming that maybe. I know Toyota has to be done by dealer and they will not be recognized by the system themselves. Here again from tirerack FAQ:

If I purchase new sensors as part of my Tire & Wheel Package, what else needs to be done before use?
Many vehicles require new TPMS sensors be activated or initialized at an authorized repair facility or dealership. This process normally involves connecting the vehicle to a service computer (via the ODB port under your dashboard) and having a technician load the new sensor's ID codes into the car's computer. Most cars will need to have this activation service performed each time wheels and tires are changed out (like when changing from dedicated winter wheels and tires back to your summer/all-season set). As always, consult your owner's manual or contact your dealer for more information.
- See more at: Frequently Asked Questions About Tire Pressure Sensors - Doc's advice on tires | Tire Rack

To me if you only save say $100 by sourcing yourself including the running around etc then I would go with the dealer. Don't forget that the dealer price at the very least already includes shipping. The prices I get quoted from my dealer are usually paid in full and installed, so no additional shipping, taxes and installation costs.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

There was an issue with some of the early TPMS sensors - the stem was fragile and they got brittle and would break. Hapenned to mine the first time the dealer changed on the snow tyres - so they replaced all 4x TPMS under warranty with the newer 'stronger' ones. There are some old threads on this that give details of the difference. But if you are in a 2012 I assume you prob have the newer ones already.

I didn't think you had to reprogram/calibrate in the XF - I thought as long as you have the right ones then the car detects them automatically. It can take a few journeys to do that (something about needing to be above 30 or 40 mph for a while then sitting still), but it should get there.

If I were you I would buy new sensors for them so you have a set for each wheel. But I'd prob just take it to a reputable tyre shop to change them on - I expect you'll get cheaper for the tyre swap, and for installing the sensors. But interested to see if anyone else thinks there is some formal 'reprogramming' needed.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had this issue on a previous non-jag car, where they wanted an insane amount from me at the dealership. I took it to Discount Tire, and they installed the TPMS for free, and programmed them for $40. You have to pay for the installation of the tires on the new rims, but it's cheaper than what you're being quoted there by a LOT.

I ended up paying $225 total for installation of the tires on all 4 wheels and programming of the TPMS. I think I paid $60 per for the TPMS on the Acura I was driving.

I really think you can do much better than what you're getting quoted there if you head to discount or another national chain tire shop.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Take some pic's or vids when you have them done. I would like to see how they look.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't need all four TPMS sensors replaced unless they get damaged or are brittle.
"If a new tire pressure sensor is fitted on any 'running' wheel, the CJB can learn the new sensor identification automatically through the tire learn and location process.

The tire-learn and location process is ready to commence when the vehicle has been stationary or traveling at less than 12 mph (20 km/h) for 15 minutes. This is known as 'parking mode'. The learn/locate process requires the vehicle to be driven at speeds of more than 12 mph for 15 minutes. If the vehicle speed reduces to below 12 mph, the learn process timer is suspended until the vehicle speed increases to more than 12 mph, after which time the timer is resumed. If the vehicle speed remains below 12 mph for more than 15 minutes, the timer is set to zero and process starts again."

Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I called a few tire shops and they said there should be minimal issues if any with removing/reinstalling the TMPS sensors on the new wheels. Regardless the quotes from the tire shops were much less than the quote from the dealership. Will post pictures once I get the swap done.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Looking forward to the pictures.

By the way, what you have on the car now - Nevis wheels? Also, are you keeping them?

Old 03-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Executive
Looking forward to the pictures.

By the way, what you have on the car now - Nevis wheels? Also, are you keeping them?

I have Nevis and would be more than willing to sell once I do the swap.

Attached Thumbnails New Wheels & TPMS-p1530826256-3.jpg   New Wheels & TPMS-p2145206629-3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Executive (03-24-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

kiddhan,

Keep me posted on those wheels/tires when you do. I will most likely just get new tires for mine and keep them, but never know.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello did you finally get your situation figured out with your Tpm lights? I am staring down the same barrel of $ with all this crap, depressing the hell out of me

Old 11-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Your quote got my attention. Does your statement include all cars "including Jaguars"? Have the '11 XJL replaced new Tpms and still have the idiot lights on and wont go no matter what I do but have not done the over 12 mph for a sold 15 minutes without dipping under 12 at times which might be starting the clock over.. Dealership wants massive money for OEM Tpms they say Must be Oem's, says they have to be coded to the computer individually yada yada yada... Any truth to that?? Ty

Old 11-26-2019, 08:53 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

There are many who have had issues with non OE TPMS. (Original Equipment = OE) OEM units are SUPPSOED ot be able to work on these cars but ofthen there are issues.

Seimens VDO is the OE manufacturer that supplies Jaguar.

You can get them at RockAuto for $20

SE53001

Old 11-27-2019, 01:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, I've dealt with a variety if Jaguar wheels/rims as I get a lot of them (taken off from New XJ and F-Pace) and been able to remove the TPMS absent issue...they do NOT break when taken off, in my case I use needle nose plier to undo the threaded aluminum stem on the face side of the rim, and they come off easily.

Your XF will work on Ford's TPMS. Keep in mind that I've seen both Jaguar Land Rover labeled TPMS and Fomoco (Ford motor company) labeled TPMS and they look identical with same part numbers (Not Jaguar or Ford specific part number, but the actual manufacturers part number). Look out for frequency, all 2015 and pre 2015 Jaguars like the XF, XJ, XK, F type use 315 mhz frequency; whereas, all vehicles like the face lifted xk, f pace, new xf, xe use 415/435? Mhz frequency. The frequency is also labeled on the tpms and look identical.

TPMS

TPMS rubberized sticky surface

Notice Jaguar Land rover branding and 315 mhz frequency label. Have the same exact pair that came off of an f-pace from the dealership with Fomoco label instead of Jaguar and landrover

As it appears on OEM XJ rims, the hex stem "bolt" can be undone easily once the tire is off and there is no pressure from the inner side.

Old 11-27-2019, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Hey, I've dealt with a variety if Jaguar wheels/rims as I get a lot of them (taken off from New XJ and F-Pace) and been able to remove the TPMS absent issue...they do NOT break when taken off, in my case I use needle nose plier to undo the threaded aluminum stem on the face side of the rim, and they come off easily.

Your XF will work on Ford's TPMS. Keep in mind that I've seen both Jaguar Land Rover labeled TPMS and Fomoco (Ford motor company) labeled TPMS and they look identical with same part numbers (Not Jaguar or Ford specific part number, but the actual manufacturers part number). Look out for frequency, all 2015 and pre 2015 Jaguars like the XF, XJ, XK, F type use 315 mhz frequency; whereas, all vehicles like the face lifted xk, f pace, new xf, xe use 415/435? Mhz frequency. The frequency is also labeled on the tpms and look identical.

TPMS

TPMS rubberized sticky surface

Notice Jaguar Land rover branding and 315 mhz frequency label. Have the same exact pair that came off of an f-pace from the dealership with Fomoco label instead of Jaguar and landrover

As it appears on OEM XJ rims, the hex stem "bolt" can be undone easily once the tire is off and there is no pressure from the inner side.
Yes but do you know much about the Tpms relearn process on the '11 XJL. I put new Tpms in all 315 mhz and my dash lights are not going off even after putting 20 miles on the car. I hear tires have to be broken down again to look, they have to be re coded and relearned individually and married back to the cars computer at the dealership only. Is this hogwash and can another mechanic shop do it or does this process even need to be done at all.... Ty

Old 11-28-2019, 01:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Yes but do you know much about the Tpms relearn process on the '11 XJL. I put new Tpms in all 315 mhz and my dash lights are not going off even after putting 20 miles on the car. I hear tires have to be broken down again to look, they have to be re coded and relearned individually and married back to the cars computer at the dealership only. Is this hogwash and can another mechanic shop do it or does this process even need to be done at all.... Ty
As far as I know, if the TPMS were purchased new either online or via JLR dealership, they're sold in "Shipping mode", this is in attempt to keep the battery from activating since it has a lifespan of 5 years. If that is the case, they need to be activated via an activation tool (Which isn't a JLR specific tool, but not common enough to be activated from a random store like Canadian tire). After that, the TPMS should learn the onboard system in your XJ and work right away. Once TPMS Is out of shipping mode/activated, it should work absent additional pairing.

In your case, if the TPMS dash light is still on, it's most likely due to the fact that they have not yet been activated. I'd look around for decent European tuner/independant mechanic shops if they are able to read the TPMS and trigger a reset. Compare price (usually they dont charge any, unless it's a JLR dealership) to what your dealership is charging and go from there. 315 MHZ is the correct frequency and I'm guessing they are JLR TPMS or Ford ones that look identical to the ones shown above.

Please note that all the information shared above may NOT be accurate, it's based off of what I've heard from shops, read on forums and experienced personally. I installed new TPMS in my 2015 XF that has the same 315 MHZ sensors, took it to a Lincon dealership, and they couldnt read the sensors but were willing to do it for free so I gave it a shot. I then took it to an Independent Audi/VW mechanic shop and they simply activated it, and it worked. If for example, the sensors were already activated and on a vehicle other than an XJ, then they might need to be reset to work on your vehicle.

Summary:
TPMS are either in "Shipping Mode" - Require tool to activate
TPMS were previously paired to a vehicle other than an XJ - Requires a reset, also done through a tool
TPMS are not OEM (despite same frequency, they may still not work)
TPMS are old and have reached the end of battery life
Ruling out low tire pressure as that would be a different warning altogether.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Zereldo; 11-28-2019 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jssaab
There are many who have had issues with non OE TPMS. (Original Equipment = OE) OEM units are SUPPSOED ot be able to work on these cars but ofthen there are issues.

Seimens VDO is the OE manufacturer that supplies Jaguar.

You can get them at RockAuto for $20

SE53001

Are these from rockauto any good and reliable? I've read after market sensors are not good.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:26 AM

Yes but I believe the VDO SE52029 is for the '11 XJL though from my earlier post. I have gone through most of these forums on this subject whether Oem or Aftermarket is better for Jaguars Tpms and its always a mixed review on both even whether the aftermarkets will even work. I spoke with the main manager at Ted Weins a full service garage and he said it doesn't matter if their Oem or aftermarket Tpms the aftermarkets work just fine as he's put them in Merccedes, land Rover etc... I'm still smack in the middle of trying to get my issue fixed trying to get the dash lights off. For my new Oem rims and tires I just put on from another XJL, takeoffs, I have 2 new Oem Tpms in the back I just installed and 2 aftermarket ones new in my hand in the box for the front, not installed yet though,. Ted Wiens will have to code from scratch the 2 ones in the back and the 2 fronts in my hand so they will marry to the car to get lights off. Apparantly everything has to be done from scratch now, will be attempting this early next week, fingers crossed. I did the drive over 15mph for 10 minute thing already... All this crap is like black magic with different opinions flying everywhere and still don't know what the hell to believe anymore, I'd **** on a spark plug if I thought it would work at this point to get these damn Tpm dashboard warning lights off at this point..ZERELDO had some good information that I will try to entertain, thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: New Wheels & TPMS