XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Oil Pressure accumulator

Old 09-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Oil Pressure accumulator

I have been reading so many threads regarding oil pressure, and the devestaing effects the lack of oil pressure has on engines. Some people run the wrong viscocity, others simply don't check their oil levels. I fall into the later category. I was running about a liter low and didn't realize it until reading the disaster stories of others who ran their engines with low oil levels and trashed their engines.

With my tune/pulley combo and other planned upgrades, I am wondering if there are any thoughts as to fitting an accumulator to help keep presure in the system during hard cornering or hard acceleration? Especially knowing that we do NOT have an oil pressure warning light, this would definitely provide some measure of safety which we currently do not have in these cars. I know that the XF line does not have a low oil warning light and neither do the F types. Since we share the same engine, this would solve this issue. maybe one of the forum sponsosrs like EuroToys or Velocity AP can tinker around with this. I know I would be willing to buy one if it had installation instructions and the plumbing prepackaged.

Where would be a good place for it in the engine bay and ...more importantly, how would the plumbing be routed to intergrate it into the system?

This would be especially handy for those who track (either 1/4 mile times or twisty) and for those of us with tune/pulley combos and other performance mods.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-17-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I have been reading so many threads regarding oil pressure, and the devestaing effects the lack of oil pressure has on engines. Some people run the wrong viscocity, others simply don't check their oil levels. I fall into the later category. I was running about a liter low and didn't realize it until reading the disaster stories of others who ran their engines with low oil levels and trashed their engines.
I think some/all of the stories you've read have been exaggerated beyond any sort of credibility.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 AM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
I know that the XF line does not have a low oil warning light and neither do the F types.
According the manual the XF has an "Engine Oil Pressure Low" warning on the central display with a red triangle that activates when the oil pressure is below the minimum operating requirement.

There are also warnings for engine oil high, low, critically low, and oil level system fault accompanied by amber or red warning triangles, and chimes for some of the warnings.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

strange, there are so many threads stating that these are not triggered. I was running about a litre low and had no clue until I checked. Even if there are warnings that actually function when they should, an accumulator would keep oil pressure stable during hard cornering, hard acceleration, etc. I dont think the Jag OEM oil pans have baffles to prevent the pump from being left exposed at road racing conditions. I guess I am wondering where the best option for plumbing one of these would be? For me, this is an easy $200 upgrade that will provide tremendous benefits, even if its just priming the engine at start-up.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:23 PM

1L low will not induce LOP.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

so I am actually just wondering where the best plumbing connections would be if anyone can help out with that

Old 09-17-2017, 06:49 PM

Home Depot?

Old 09-17-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

haha. Thanks for the comments Mikey. I mean where the best place is to connect it to the oil pressure.

Also, since you say that our engines have oil warnings in place, can you please comment on the following thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...type-r-184780/

...specifically, the posts made on pages 10 and 11. Am I reading this wrong? English is not my first language, but I did manage to graduate kindergarten and I think from what I have read the statements are that there is no oil pressure sensor fitted, thereby no way for the ECU to send an alarm that your oil pressure is low. Of course that is differnet than oil level warnings, which aren't important in the context of this particular thread.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-17-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:40 PM

I'm not the one claiming that there is /is not an LOP sensor.

The car in that thread is an F-type. You have an XF. I saw no evidence to substantiate his claims of lubrication issues. All hearsay.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

ok. they have the same engine right? anyways, I am asking for help finding the correct fitment of an accumulator. Can you help with that? or do you only provide comic relief?

Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 AM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

All XF have an oil pressure sensor. Do the dashboard level check tegularly and if it says level okay leave it alone. Putting too much in is just as bad as not enough. Dont mess with the plumbing. Race cars have dry sump systems not accumulators. Your plans to mess with the plumbing are far more likely to wreck the engine than leaving it standard.

Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

As an analogy, aerobatic airplanes have inverted fuel and oil systems that allow them to fly at attitudes ranging from steep inclines, or totally upside down. Much like a dry sump in the race car.

In a road race condition, a car is placed under high load. This increases oil consumption (especially if the car is tuned....as I found out recently, I was a liter short after a few weeks with my crank pulley/tune combo). Once this car begins to take on long, sweeping corners the oil will collect on one side of the sump. leaving the traditional oil pump sucking air. Thus, SOME people choose to fit dry sumps (an extra oil pump inside a extra reservoir) in their race vehicles. Others choose to add an accumulator.

I understand the physics and the need for this. What I don't understand is why this is not a good idea to have. The system I am looking at is this Moroso 23900: Oil Accumulator Capacity: 3 quarts | JEGS ... paired with Moroso 23907: Electronic Pressure Control Valve 15-24 PSI Discharge & Refill | JEGS

I like to understand things. So can you explain a little bit how adding this system will be more likely to wreck the engine than leaving it as is.

I have increased boost, all my systems are working harder, including the oil system. If I have more oil than normal being pumped into the system, that does not necessarily mean that it is flowing back into the sump at an equal rate. It still has to go through oil cooler, and most importantly the windage screen which does not flow all that fast, and I would think some of it is atomized to a degree during high load conditions and just hangs out as mist in the crank until it is scavenged back into circulation. Coupled with the increased oil consumption, this creates a high probability of my oil pan running low enough at a given point that it will not have enough oil in the pan to reintroduce into the engine.
Am I mistaken in any of these assumptions?

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 09-18-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

The way I see it Just checking your oil on a weekly and before major events (Dyno runs, Tracking, Road trip etc..LOL) is enough to prevent catastrophe.
I change my oil every 3kmi. (Walmart 5w20 full synthetic $17.99 for 5qts. it's made by Ashland oil ) and the filter every 6kmi. This allows me to know how much oil is in the car at a minimum every 3kmi, outside of the oil level monitor. The oil level monitor to me is just a back up.
And if I have no leaks or excessive oil consumption both of which would be very noticeable if at the "catastrophe" causing level, I'm always good.
These are expensive HIGH PERFORMANCE cars people, and have to be treated as such.