Paint chrome decoration black?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint chrome decoration black?

Is it something you would consider?

From this:

To this:

And how is it done? Just deliver the car to a retailer and let them do it? Chrome is not easy to paint? Perhaps foil wrapping might do the trick?

Old 06-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Honestly, to me, a touch of brightwork is part of the difference between a premium luxury car and an economy car (although today, even Kia's come with leather, wood and brightwork on their high spec models). But personal taste is subjective and you should be able to have what you want.

Not familiar with the XF trim specifically (I restore classic cars including doing so plating myself), but the whole point of chrome plating is that it doesn't scratch or etch easily thus to protect the shiny nickel brightwork. It doesn't take paint well at all. In which case, you can take it to a chrome plating shop where they can electrochemically "remove" the chrome plating after which it can be painted, powdercoated or refinished in any suitable manner (even something called "black chrome"). On some cars, the brightwork is not chrome, but rather polished stainless, in which case it can be sanded and coated with a self-etching primer prior to being painted. Less often, the brightwork is clear anodized polished aluminum. Somewhat like chrome, the hard anodizing needs to be chemically removed before sanding and refinishing. Often too in modern cars (and even many vintage cars like I have restored), there is some sort of weatherstripping or felt backing permanently bonded to the brightwork around the windows and it can't be subjected to heat or chemicals in the restoration or refinishing process without damaging the weatherstrip. That makes it difficult or sometimes impossible to refinish. You'll need to inspect your parts to see how they are made unless someone posts that information. But what about the one in the picture? Can you order the black trim parts from Jaguar?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've successfully painted chrome trim on multiple cars of mine in the past. I usually just remove the trim, wet sand it, apply a couple coats of etching primer, 3 layers of base coat and follow it up with a layer of clear coat. No issues with flaking.

I've also used this:
Trimbrite T9005 BLACK-OUT TAPE | eBay

Old 06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

i had mine vinyl wrapped.... inexpensive, they didnt have to take it apart...looks great and you can simply peel it of if you ever wanna go back to stock....
and the whole bright work thing.....go into a jag dealership and look for some " bright work" on the new models hardly any...Hyundai's have a lot of bright work though..

Old 06-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for your respons! I will take the XF to a dealership and ask them if they can do a vinyl wrap.

I might be able to order the trim from Jaguar. Not sure what will be best. New black ones or just wrap, and then be able to take it off when I want.