XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive

Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 AM
Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

First, Mr. 2010 Kyanite XFR, you no longer have to feel old, my friend, since I live just south of you and am going on 82 years young. And yes, I love the power and feel and looks of my XF Supercharged sport sedan……I acknowledge the luxury touches but do not consider it a "luxury" car. I too have owned a Corvette, a Mercedes, two BMW roadsters and an assortment of american cars including a GMC Sierra Denali with Quadrasteer (6 liter and AWD)…..I loved that truck ! It blows me away to see young people buying and driving these cars since at their age I couldn't afford such vehicles with getting married and raising children and going to school, I finally arrived at retirement and enough money to justify buying a "luxury car", without feeling guilty. Times have changed and so have incomes. Oh how I enjoy putting my foot to the metal every so often.
P.S> I did invest in a Radar Detector.lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by chuckh007:
*Phoenix* (04-30-2014), XFRench (05-02-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

This has been an enjoyable thread to read. Thanks to the OP for starting this conversation. Congrats to all my fellow XF owners!

Old 04-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also a young 30 something and I recently upgraded to my second Jaguar a 2013 XF 2.0 Turbo. I purchased my first XF in 2010 a premium Luxury 2009 XF. At that time i wanted something classy, sexy and exclusive. I took a chance on Jaguar despite all the maintenance and resale value complaints that we have all heard about. The XF definitely lived up to my expectations and i definitely did not regret my decision. Although these days i see a few more on the road than when i first made my purchase (I live in the Houston, TX area) its still not as common as Mercedes or BMW and that's how i would like it to remain.

IMO Jaguars have come a long way since the Ford days and they are one of the industry's best kept secret. I am more of a luxury guy than a performance guy but i still think the Jaguar gives you the best combination of Luxury and performance all at a very reasonable price when compared to others models in its class.

Needless to say I am now on my second Jag and absolutely loving Jaguar. This time I opted for the more economical 2.0 Turbo engine. After putting over 80k miles in 3.5 years on my old XF, I decided to opt for a smaller mloreefficient engine.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

I think you need to understand it was Ford that saved Jaguar. And the cars made under Fords ownership were head and shoulders above what came before.

When I purchased my 2005 STR Jaguar was rated 3rd in that years quality stats. The sad fact was Ford never made a dime of profit off JLR but poured several billion dollars into the two companies. Very glad they did and it really helped bring Jaguar into the future. The XF was already done when Jaguar was sold to Tata.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

>it was Ford that saved Jaguar

Agreed, Ford brought the product engineering capabilities (a matter of scale and resources) to Jaguar to make sure that the cars were well tested and reliable. The scale of Ford's operation meant that they just had more resources to draw on in the design/engineering/reliability-testing phases than did the olde Jaguar.

Question, so if the XF is basically a freshened S-Type with its roots in the original S-Type/Lincoln LS, what is the F-Type? Besides the engines (basically modified Jaguar AJ V8s) how much of the F-Type engineering is Ford and how much is Tata?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Several thoughts from everyone's responses:

1. We're artificially biased on the age of buyers on this site for a good reason. Younger people use forums! Anyway, its still good news that younger buyers are appreciating Jags.

2. While younger buyers are buying, they're not buying new. I certainly know that I cannot afford a new XFR! That being said, the hook is set for an V8S F-Type somewhere in the future (in other words, when I have more cash!)

3. High depreciation is Jaguar's friend for now, it's what is getting younger buyers in.

4. Rarity = Exclusivity. The low sales volumes create exclusivity naturally, not good for Jag but it suits us all pretty well because we're not buying the average Joe's luxury car...if that makes any sense at all.

5. I agree immensely that in the modern car industry that there is minimal reliability loss because you've bought a luxury brand, items like active dampening and other higher cost technology may present a greater liability but I feel they are offset by the better service that I've received at my Jag dealer in Calgary.

Anyway, great conversation.

The following users liked this post:
sparkenzap (05-06-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

People like to rag on Ford and their handling of Jaguar, but honestly I don't know if they would still be around if Ford hadn't acquired them, we'll never know. But the XK that is still beautiful to this day came out under Ford's stewardship as did the use of aluminum for it and the XJ. Could they have done more? Sure, but they had their hands full with Land Rover, Aston Martin, Volvo, and Mazda to a lesser extent. I think Tata is doing a fine job, though. People say I drive an old man car(I'm 25) but I don't care, it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a new (1 mos) owner of a 2012 XF base (V8); used do drive a 2006 Merc E350.

I test drove the XF at a local dealer (NC), but bought my car sight unseen from a dealer in California on AutoTrader.

I was a little worried before I got the car if I made the right choice; I never imagined how great of a decision this was,

1) Fit and finish of the jag is right up there
2) Performance is OUTSTANDING... what a nimble and excellent handling car! This is a *fun* car to drive (and mileage not as bad once you learn how to get mix of performance / gas mileage out of it).
3) Sound / Exhaust notes is fantastic... is this what an aston martin sounds like?
4) I like that Jag isn't well known. The car gets looks from others trying to figure out what kind of car.. those who have ridden with me love it and def interested in Jag going forward. Local kid in neighborhood commented that he "likes your maserati"
5) Price couldn't be beat; yes depreciation / market perception is the used car buyers' friend. Bought CPO from a dealer in California (was a loaner). 15K miles, perfect condition... stole it for $28K. Orig. price was $54K only 18 mos. prior. Could sell for a profit today, but plan to drive 4-6 years (or more).

Last edited by igolfchip; 05-01-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the bad resale is due to the reliability reputation they have. I think it's changing (or at least hope) as they ares till able to sell cars now considering they do not have plat coverage anymore.

WannaJag has a good point that forum members are usually younger so there might be some skewing of the ages here.

Fully disclosure, I am probably one of those 'young kids'.
I bought my xf brand new when I was 29.
Parents aren't rich, it's not daddy's money.
Started a business, not Facebook incase you are wondering if I am the Mark Zuckerberg and not a tech business. Don't deal drugs as some of my buddies joke.
Started off with beater cars as all immigrant sons do. Eventually got an s2000 and the got an A4. Was looking for a new one and didn't want a black on black 5 series.

I actually went into the JLR dealership to test drive the RR sport and was quite disappointed in the overall experience of the car. We then test drove the RR Evoque and thought it was a great little truck and was about to go ahead with purchasing one.

Then the salesperson said you should take a look at the xf?
I went with my dad to the dealership (not cause he was paying LOL) and he said only old people drive jags and you shouldn't get one. But after test driving it, it was obvious that it was clearly the choice. He and my wife said BUY IT!! Which was kinda surprising cause they both are usually not very flashy.

I ended up getting a 2012 Xf portfolio with almost all the options, didn't get adaptive cruise control.
It's funny cause my cousin owns an Infiniti and he mentioned that his car was faster than mine and said why would you spend more for a slower car? After driving around in it he really understood why the Jag is just so different.

Jags are exclusive manly because they don't sell that many cars. But also because they've begun to implement luxury in the right way and people have always thought they are really really expensive cars. Which they are, not RR or Bentley expensive, but still.

The sound of the engine is euphoric. Not loud and unruly.
17 speaker B&W sound system... Last time I checked my first car had 2 cause rears were optional. Some ppl on the forum don't like it the BW sys. I LOVE IT
People always comment on the London tan leather (unique and looks very high end) the full leather dash, suede roof (suede roof... Just cause you can) double contrast stitching.
Then the vents that open up and the shifter dial that comes up as you start the engine.
While other car owners might owner says its tacky. Most people think it's amazing.
And you really get absolutely eye F'ed in this car. I think it's cause Most people don't even know what car it is. But how can you not stare. It's beautiful.
You just don't get that kind of emotion from even a 7 series bmw.

I believe you should always pay to be different and I love owning a Jaaaaaaggggg!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Lots of great stories in this thread, and as others have mentioned I'm glad the OP started this topic...

Also good to see another fellow Calgarian chiming in on the great, exceptional service you can receive at Jaguar Calgary, truly elevates the experience of owning a premium brand to another level...

I too fit into the category of being younger, I was 32 at the time (34 now) when I bought my 2012 Jaguar XFR brand new, although I had no intention of buying the car that I did. I had gone in to look at a 2010 XFR, that was literally half the price of the car that I bought, I think it had ~28K miles, but it was black, on London Tan, and I know that is a great combo, I just have owned a single black car in the past and have vowed to never own another black car...

I had gone in to test drive the used 2010 just to get a feel for how the Jaguar drives... At that time I was going through and test driving about a handful of performance sedans. It started with the Audi S4, then M5, then E63 AMG, Cadillac CTS-V, went back to Audi dealership to drive S6 or S7, but at the time in Calgary they were supplying them on pre-orders only (ie: no test drives), I was told to test drive an A7 and use my imagination on how the S7 would feel as it would be more in every category (more power, more style, more aggressive, and obviously more money...), I recently did test drive the S7, and it didn't invoke the same emotion that the Jaguar did on my test drive, and still does to this day...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the cars that I test drove, but at the end of the day, I was able to get some numbers from the dealer, get a booklet/ brochure and simply walk away, after every single test drive... Till the Jaguar came along. I test drove the 2010 XFR, and even though there have been some subtle changes to the interior, and not so subtle to the exterior for my model year (2012), there was something simply hypnotizing about the way the car drove, I was in love...

I told the salesman that I had to have one, and the price range was perfect (for the used), but I asked if they had a different color, they only had four (4) XFR's at the time:
- 2010-Black
- 2011-Black
- New 2012-Black
- New 2012-Polaris White (in their showroom)...
As he went through their inventory and mentioned the "Platinum Coverage" I knew it was something that I had to have, and I wouldn't get this with a 2010, but 2011 had 5 years, and a 2012 had 4 years plus the updated looks, and they had a color that I wanted, truth be told I would have loved a Kyanite Blue, but my second choice was white, and third would be Lunar Grey. The value of the Jaguar Brand New, was a much better bargain than I would have hoped for, as you compare it to the S7, S6, or M5, E63AMG (all of these cars brand new, similarly optioned were 6 figures, ~Cdn.$120K) at the same time, it was a bargain (as the Jaguar's list price was: ~95K), the only car that was a better deal was CTS-V, but the CTS-V isn't what I would consider a premium car, it can't be compared to the Mercedes, BMW or Audi and definitely not Jaguar.

They had a tonne of incentives and new car deals, that I did have to take a deep breath at the time, but almost 1.5 years later, I am enjoying the car more and more every day...

I get stopped on a weekly basis (if not on a daily basis) to have someone comment on my car, men, women, kids of all ages... I have people taking pictures of it, while its parked, or while I'm in it driving side by side... No other car I have owned, has invoked this kind of reaction from bystanders, I have gotten thumbs up on other cars I have owned but mainly would have been gear heads... I fill up the car on a weekly basis, and I am always sure to have a conversation about the car with other people filling up their cars, or the teller...

I have normally not disclosed the vehicle I drive, or go around parading it, instead I only told family and close friends. Co-Workers, don't always fit into either category, so in the 1.5 years of ownership, I have done a pretty good job of only conveying the vehicle I drive to people I would like to know... Most people that find out I drive a Jaguar, think it is extremely exotic, beyond a Mercedes, or BMW, almost Massarati-ish... But they all follow that up with, I would rather a Mercedes, or BMW, as it will retain its value for longer, and is more reliable, and I have to inform them that my car has been very reliable, other than tire swap (winter to summer tires, and vice-versa) and annual service, I can't say I have had any issues... Which isn't the case for the wife's Audi Q5...

My wife is free to drive the car whenever she wants, I encourage her all the time, but she is hesitant, just because she's nervous about driving a powerful and expensive car... on the days she takes it, she always comes back with a big smile on her face, as she's been getting a tonne of attention as well... and the driving experience, as she gets more comfortable with it, is something she couldn't stop talking about a week ago (my wife is not a car person, nor shows any interest in anything automotive related, so this is a big deal, that it invoked this kind of reaction from her...)

Here are some pics of my car as she sat about a week ago, after some 3M treatment...

Sorry for the rambling...

Attached Thumbnails People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-894490bb-b690-42b2-aa7b-3139c3bc2980_zpsikchjfuk.jpg   People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-57acdce2-5923-4404-9fa1-7dc302d8cefa_zpsj6cc1q0a.jpg   People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-f5b8d467-d711-4636-9131-bc5d001024d5_zps96px4435.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As others have said, this is a really cool thread! My decision to purchase the XF came after driving all the usual suspects, as well as one price range pusher (Panamera 4S). The "Honda Accord-ness" of several BMW, Merc, and Audi models in the North NJ area really made me think hard and look into other options. I'm really surprised at the re-sale prices on some of them because the market is so overloaded with E's, 3-5-6-7's, A4-5-6-7-8's, etc.......

This car a pure head turner! People as me all the time about it or "why I chose it over XYZ". My usual response is "look at it"! What other car in this class is as drop dead sexy? I know it's an aging look and some have simulated the body lines, like the Ford Fusion for example. But when I pull up next to one of those other vehicles at a light..........not even close. And all of the models are so rare, I just love seeing any of them on the road.

And with that, I do feel it's a bit more exclusive and less common than the X and S-Types and the XK8's of the late 90's-early 2K's. I would see those models many times per day. I see the same (2) XJ's and (1) XF every couple of days. I can't tell you the last time I've seen an XK, which is the most stunning machine I've ever seen. And the F-Type, lol!! It's like a Unicorn. Though I did see a Coupe S on I-287 the other day. He let that thing bellow and the sound was intoxicating.

I could go on for days, lol!!!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 12:56 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

28 year old here. Purchased my 2009 2 years ago and love the car.

I fully agree about the perception with co-workers and other people who ask about the car. I cannot tell you the amount of looks I get in the vehicle it is quite astounding. I am surprised it brings so much attention because the car is not flashy at all and that is why I enjoy it. On numerous occasions I have been standing close by or sitting in a restaurant with it sitting out front and have had people come up and walk around the car 2 or 3 times to have a look. I don't think anyone can say that doesn't make you feel that much better about getting behind the wheel knowing you own it.

Typical responses I get from colleagues usually are:
1. We must be paying you too much!
2. Someone contact the fraud team and look into his salary.
3. You drive a Jag? Isn't that for old men? (My usual response is "Yes I am going through my midlife crisis in my late 20's")
4. What are those? I have never heard of an XF.

I love the exclusivity of the vehicle however I can only guess the amount of people who think I am most likely driving my fathers car. I come from a city of 250,000 people or so and have seen at most 5 other XF's. I have friends who are big into cars and will send me pictures whenever they spot one...I always get the same car in pictures. I have yet to see a lunar grey in the city and with the options and accessories not to mention summer selenas and winter OZ rims I have there is not another car like it I guarantee it.

I love that people think the reliability is worse than bimmers or mercedes and don't mind the depreciation because it allows me to afford it not to mention the possibility of changing cars more often.

All in all my Jag has been great to me and I am truly enjoying every minute with it. I have had the car 2 years and still enjoy turning it on and going for a ride. Definitely will be on top of the list when I go to upgrade again.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When i brought my car home my parents are from Greece and by tradition we dont move out til we're married (still 28) lol my mom was so worried because she thought i bought a $100,000 car LOL (i have 2 cars now a G35 Coupe Daily driver and now my 2010 XF) everyone i know who has been in my car loves me car, compliments at gas stations people breaking their necks on the freeways... BMW's and Mercedes are nice but like you guys said...Everyone has em specially here in Los Angeles.

I wouldnt recommend putting 22's on if you work long distance or do lots of daily long distance driving just because of potholes u gotta be on 100% alert... Other than that the car drives 95% as good as it did when it came with 18's on it...I use this car for fun to go out or take my girlfriend out in... I thought my g35 was a nice car when i drive it i really feel like its a POS...cant believe i used to think it was nice.

Attached Thumbnails People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-1960027_10202497380134209_1005508810_n.jpg  

Last edited by goingpro; 05-06-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey H.Jones. I am pretty sure I saw you on Deerfoot last week by Ikea. I had to take a look... Not too often I see another XFR. I was not in mine though. With a few of us on the board in Calgary we should do a little meet.

I thought I was one of the younger ones here (36)... I bought a BMW Z4 coupe 7 years ago. I flew to Toronto in 2009 and in the airport they had a supercharged XF sitting there. I instantly loved the way it looked. I could not justify buying the XF at the time with the new BMW. I had kept my eye out for a while on the XFR once they came out. Last year I found a 2010 with 13K KMs priced extremely well so I pulled the trigger. I as well as many here test drove Audi S4, S6, E63 AMG, C63 AMG, M3, M5 and a Panamera 4S. Besides loving the XFR the exclusiveness was another draw. I see all the others everywhere. I love seeing the reaction on people when they realize that the car is a Jag.

You car looks great. I used Shadowtint to get my windows done.
Originally Posted by H.Jones

Here are some pics of my car as she sat about a week ago, after some 3M treatment...

Old 05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

A Mercedes is for a man who wears a hat!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nate96
Hey H.Jones. I am pretty sure I saw you on Deerfoot last week by Ikea. I had to take a look... Not too often I see another XFR. I was not in mine though. With a few of us on the board in Calgary we should do a little meet.

I thought I was one of the younger ones here (36)... I bought a BMW Z4 coupe 7 years ago. I flew to Toronto in 2009 and in the airport they had a supercharged XF sitting there. I instantly loved the way it looked. I could not justify buying the XF at the time with the new BMW. I had kept my eye out for a while on the XFR once they came out. Last year I found a 2010 with 13K KMs priced extremely well so I pulled the trigger. I as well as many here test drove Audi S4, S6, E63 AMG, C63 AMG, M3, M5 and a Panamera 4S. Besides loving the XFR the exclusiveness was another draw. I see all the others everywhere. I love seeing the reaction on people when they realize that the car is a Jag.

You car looks great. I used Shadowtint to get my windows done.

Hey Nate 96, That was probably me on Deerfoot by Ikea, I live 5-10 min away from there...

I'm game anytime for a meet with the other Calgary folks...

Thanks for the compliments on the car... I rarely see any XF's let alone another XFR... but I did see two newer (post 2012 update) XF's last week, which made me happy and frustrated at the same time... And that is right in front of shadow tint... the only place I trust to touch my cars when it comes to tint or 3M

Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 AM

I am in the far SE. Might have to start a new thread for the Calgary and area folk...

For myself the one downside to the exclusivity is doing meets. I have a BMW as well and there are meets happening all the time. It is nice to meet other enthusiast of the same brand and see their rides.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 238 Likes on 206 Posts

>For myself the one downside to the exclusivity is doing meets.

Hey, I see that there is both an MG club plus a Rolls-Bentley club in your area. Perhaps you might want to approach them to see about forming a "federated" Brit-car club. That would provide a "home" for the Jaguar owners plus, perhaps, bring the combined club to a critical membership level where more organized functions could be under taken?

My local Jaguar club has over 100 members and that level allows many activities to be planned for each year. Each event requires a "chief" but with the number of members we have we end up with lots of "chiefs" each willing to take responsibility for an event, such as our Slalom, Concours, weekend trips into the country, dyno-days, go-cart outings, holiday dinners, etc.

Plus there seem to be lots of clubs in B.C. The local clubs could organize combined meets (in Banff, in your case, perhaps) for the entire region.

Just a though...
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
A Mercedes is for a man who wears a hat!
I wear a hat...Baseball hats ... Mercedes and BMWs are for men with no taste in cars... I do like the SL550's though..

Old 05-07-2014, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by goingpro
I wear a hat...Baseball hats ... Mercedes and BMWs are for men with no taste in cars... I do like the SL550's though..
I guess I have no taste

Attached Thumbnails People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive-photo-7-.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: People's perception of your Jaguar and why it's exclusive