XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

"Quickshift" transmission on XFR-S/F-Type vs XFR transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default "Quickshift" transmission on XFR-S/F-Type vs XFR transmission

I'm seriously leaning towards picking up a 2013 XFR to be my new daily driver (Would love to get an XFR-S, but just can't justify the cost at this time). I have driven an F-Type V6 S and an XKR-S (but not an XFR-S), both of which I thought had excellent transmissions for being a paddle-shift (I'm a manual snob, but am becoming resigned to the fact that I'm likely going to have to bite the bullet at some point and accept paddles sooner or later).

The F-Type/XFR-s have the "Quickshift" transmission, whereas the XKR-S transmission while not officially being "Quickshift", I thought was plenty impressive. I have not driven a 2013 XFR, which technically does not have the "Quickshift" transmission of the F-Type or the XFR-S.

My question is this: I believe 2013 is the first year with the 8-speed ZF transmission on the XFRs. Anybody have any qualitative comments or observations on the XFR non-Quickshift transmission vs the F-Type/XFR-S? Would be curious to know how quick it is upon gear selection, ability to revmatch on downshifts, overrun/pop sounds from exhaust, etc. If it is similar to the non-quickshift XKR-S, i know I'd be happy with it, but just don't have a good idea without having driven it.

I know it would be a lot easier to just test drive it, but unfortunately my local dealer wouldn't let me test drive any of the brand new ones, and they didn't have any used 2013 XFRs back in inventory. Needless to say, the XKR-S I test drove was incredible.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Quickshift is software. The transmissions are all the same. The transmission shift program in my awd XF selects gears quite slowly while in D, presumably for fuel economy reasons. In S with Dynamic mode engaged the transmission seems pretty much the same as in the F Types I drove.

As a previously dedicated manual tranmission guy let me suggest you'll soon forget about shifting manually. I specfically test drove the XF to ensure it shifted manually as well as a true manual gearbox, and it does. After the first year I just stopped using the paddles except very occasionally. The automatic is just that good.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Quickshift is software. The transmissions are all the same. The transmission shift program in my awd XF selects gears quite slowly while in D, presumably for fuel economy reasons. In S with Dynamic mode engaged the transmission seems pretty much the same as in the F Types I drove.

As a previously dedicated manual tranmission guy let me suggest you'll soon forget about shifting manually. I specfically test drove the XF to ensure it shifted manually as well as a true manual gearbox, and it does. After the first year I just stopped using the paddles except very occasionally. The automatic is just that good.
+1 on how good the transmission is! The ZF 8-speed is like silk! It's shifts are flawless. That said, I seem to recall reading that there is more to the F's transmission than just software. I could be recalling incorrectly of course.

Last edited by RoswellJAG; 08-12-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by texevora
I know it would be a lot easier to just test drive it, but unfortunately my local dealer wouldn't let me test drive any of the brand new ones, and they didn't have any used 2013 XFRs back in inventory. Needless to say, the XKR-S I test drove was incredible.
Run over to Park Place in Plano...See Brad...he'll set you up...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the responses. Yes I know Brad, maybe I can twist his arm to throw me the keys to an XFR.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

My XF-Supercharged was my first automatic car. I was a bit weary going to an automatic. The shifting is generally fantastic but it is software controlled and it isn't always perfect. In my experience the trans needs a minute or two to get up to temp but then it's nearly flawless. When it's cold I can feel harder/erratic shifts. It's fine if I baby it but I have had some very shocking experiences when going even slightly above 10% throttle (trans won't shift at all or clunks into gear to early). Been to the dealer a few times and they never find any issues. I don't believe my situation is necessarily normal but from what I read online a cold auto can have issues shifting. I don't drive my XF in the winter so I'd imagine that could highlight the issue. I have never had any MTX issues related to cold fluid unless the fluid is very cold (below -10F outside). I'm trying to point out that the OP should realize that the auto is different and it will take some getting used to.

Good luck with your purchase. I have never regretted getting my XF. You'll love whatever XF you pick up. If it were me I'd go with a 2012 XFR with a few miles on it to save a good chunk of change. Get a 2010 or 2011 XFR with low miles and you can save a boat-load.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-19-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

Oh ouch, think of your engine, forget the transmission. WOT on a cold engine is not very intelligent especially a supercharged engine. Shame on you.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

Oh ouch, think of your engine, forget the transmission. WOT on a cold engine is not very intelligent especially a supercharged engine. Shame on you.
It isn't the engine. It's the transmission. Also Jag doesn't provide a temp gauge so there is no way for us to know if the engine is up to temp. I'm not saying I turned the car on and immediately did a burnout leaving my parking space. I'm saying the trans takes a bit longer to warm up than I would have expected.

I seem to recall you posting another comment stating these modern engines don't need much time to warm up so there is no cause for concern. Change your mind already?

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-14-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

You said the transmission takes only a minute or two to warm up. You say it is "shocking" when you've gone WOT on a cold transmission.

Ergo, since the engine takes more than a minute or two to warm up you must have used WOT on a stone cold engine.

If that is the case your issues will be with a worn engine, not a faulty transmission.

I am only reading what you wrote. Did you mean something different?

Old 08-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I've found that my new 8 speed tranny does shift much faster and smoother then my old six speed in my last SC. I tend to believe that the softwear is much better in my 2013 then it was in my SC. That being said: The two extra gears do nothing for speed but is geared more for gas savings. I have to admit that I love driving my 2013 XFR more then I did my XFSC. I think this because Jaguar has worked out alot of its bugs and better writen softwear. IMHO.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

You said the transmission takes only a minute or two to warm up. You say it is "shocking" when you've gone WOT on a cold transmission.

Ergo, since the engine takes more than a minute or two to warm up you must have used WOT on a stone cold engine.

If that is the case your issues will be with a worn engine, not a faulty transmission.

I am only reading what you wrote. Did you mean something different?
Your comments are not helpful or needed in this thread. I could argue a bit more but, based on past experience, I know you can never be proven wrong even when it's blatantly obvious. Keep your comments to yourself if you aren't going to be helpful. I was posting based on my experience so leave it at that.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Redjaguar100
I've found that my new 8 speed tranny does shift much faster and smoother then my old six speed in my last SC. I tend to believe that the softwear is much better in my 2013 then it was in my SC. That being said: The two extra gears do nothing for speed but is geared more for gas savings. I have to admit that I love driving my 2013 XFR more then I did my XFSC. I think this because Jaguar has worked out alot of its bugs and better writen softwear. IMHO.
What year was your XFSC?

Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

I believe he had a 2010 XF SC

Old 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

The 6 speed in my 2012 XKR-S shifts very fast. I don't think I would be able to perceive much of a difference if the 8 speed is faster. I use the paddles a lot and I love it. I usually prefer a manual but with this car I don't miss it one bit.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
What year was your XFSC?
My XFSC was a early 2010 model year.

Last edited by Redjaguar100; 08-15-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-15-2013, 06:33 AM

Does the 2013+ XFR transmission blip the throttle on downshifts?

Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Your comments are not helpful or needed in this thread. I could argue a bit more but, based on past experience, I know you can never be proven wrong even when it's blatantly obvious. Keep your comments to yourself if you aren't going to be helpful. I was posting based on my experience so leave it at that.
Thanks for that useful post. I understand you can write any old irrelevant nonsense and I must not contradict you or even point out your own internal contradiction, apparently because I cannot be proven wrong. .??? Have I stated the essence of your point correctly?

The ZF transmission, one of the very best in the World, apparently only in your particular car, suffers from a very specific alleged defect in its 6 spd transmission, but only when cold and for a minute or two after start up, and only when using WOT, and this is worthy of communicating on a thread about the possible differences between the Quickshift 8 spd and the regular 8 spd?

Sorry I missed your point entirely.

Last edited by jagular; 08-15-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by texevora
Does the 2013+ XFR transmission blip the throttle on downshifts?
Yes, you pretty much get all the same features that you get with the six speed tranny.. The sound is really pronouced in sport mode.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hmmm, a reminder first, this is not the place to have a go at each other, although clearly it is OK to state that someone disagrees/agrees with a statement. (we'll leave it at that)

I have no experience with the XF (sadly) but I have 35 years of driving 'auto-boxes'.

From my experience an auto box should ALWAYS be given time to warm up, before hammering it, idem an engine.

WOT with a cold trans or engine is a long term recipe for trouble and short term is likely to display 'odd' characteristics, that a dealer might not be able to replicate due to the car being up to temp when it gets there, or before they hammer it.

However this thread is not about this, but is asking for experiences with Quickshift/Non-Quickshift.

Please keep On Topic.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

I have noticed the adaptive software in my XF 8 spd seems more aggressive than in my older 6 spd.

The Quickshift in the F Type and now in the XFR-S does hold the gears more aggressively if you lift off during a hard acceleration event, but now so does my car.

One nifty Quickshift feature I have not experienced yet in my XF is an automatic downshift while in Dynamic mode. That really is cool, the software recognizes you are driving aggressively and downshifts automatically as you brake hard for a corner. This is equivalent to an automatic heel and toe downshift in a manual gearbox. I was pleasantly surprised by this while test driving the F Type V6-S and have not yet experienced it in my XF so might be a Quickshift only feature. I was far too busy to notice this while test driving the F Type V8-S!

BTW, the XFR-S competes handily with BMW M5 for less money. Limited production though and quite expensive.

Quick Reply: "Quickshift" transmission on XFR-S/F-Type vs XFR transmission