XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Repeated alarm activation - won't cancel with lock/unlock (solved)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Repeated alarm activation - won't cancel with lock/unlock (solved)

This had me baffled - so much so that I feel the need to post it to save any other poor soul the anguish.

At 1am my alarm went off. I've never heard it before, so this was a bit of a shock. I locked and unlocked from my bedroom to cancel it, but no luck. The car unlocked and locked OK, but the alarm persisted. By this time curtains were twitching around the street. I put clothes on to save their sanity (I'm not a pretty sight!), legged it out to the car and pulled the handle. The car unlocked, but the alarm didn't give up so easy. I don't quite know why, but I hit the start button on the car, and the alarm stopped. To find what caused the alarm I looked through the menu on the display - it said "No Alarm Trigger". Huh?

This happened 3 times at random through the night. Boy, am I popular!

I planned to call into the dealership, but the car sat at work all day without misbehaving once. Must have cleared itself, I thought. 10 minutes after arriving home, the alarm went off again - same symptoms.

So I looked through the handbook (sorry, I know this isn't the manly way). Looks like a panic alarm. To cancel a panic, I needed to press unlock 3 timse quickly or push & hold unlock for 3 sec. But why the panic, and why not at work?

I took a look at both keys. One was wet! It had been through the wash! Aaargh! I popped out the damp battery, and the keyfob is drying out. No more false alarms!

The following 2 users liked this post by manonbike:
JagV8 (03-02-2017), tompullizzi (12-10-2022)