XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Restricted Performance Warning! How to read code?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Restricted Performance Warning! How to read code?

2011 XF 3.0d with 230.000 km (140.000 miles). After about 5 min driving yesterday entered motorway and started cruising at about 160 km/h (not aggressive driving at all). After a further 5-10 min the instrument panel glowed red with a "restricted performance" warning. See image below. First time for me but only had the car a couple of months.

Drove back about 2 hours later and although started normal without issues, exactly the same happened again on motorway after activating cruise control at a modest 140 km/h (no inclines).

A couple of weeks ago I was pushing the car pretty hard on motorway (210 km/h) for about an hour as I was late for a flight. Drove perfectly and has been purring along fine last few days till yesterday evening.

I have read a few threads and there seems to be no single predominant cause for this but rather multiple possible causes, so I need to read the fault code.

Could anyone advise me on the best way to read the fault codes on my Jaguar? I have an OBDII "ELM 327 WiFi Interface" (says it "supports all OBDII protocols") but I am not sure which software to use.

I hope it is not the issue some have reported about cracked inlet manifolds as these pieces (reinforced plastic that are apparently too thin) are deeply embedded in the engine and require a lot of work to replace them. Does anyone know with faults code would correspond to this potential problem?

So, basically I need a pointer to the best software I should use for my OBDII WiFi interface.

I will then see what could be the underlying cause.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The Torque app works well with an Elm 327.
I use the free Torque Lite because I also have a dedicated code reader (iCarsoft i930), but you can pay a little bit and get Torque Pro which does a few more things.
Also, the most common cause of RP on a high mileage 3.0D is a blocked up diesel particulate filter (DPF), although there are many more possible causes.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:18 AM

OK, thanks. I only have a Mac, iPhone or iPad as hardware. Do you know if Torque Pro is compatible with Mac OS?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chabadav
OK, thanks. I only have a Mac, iPhone or iPad as hardware. Do you know if Torque Pro is compatible with Mac OS?
Torque works only with Android, your best bet is DashCommand which works with IOS devices.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Thanks again, I ended up using the EOBD-Facile App I already had for our Ford and it worked. Air Mass Flow Error came up.

I decided to remove the tuning chip I had installed just in case it was overloading the engine at higher speeds. I installed this chip and set it to the lowest setting possible to increase fuel efficiency and allow quicker Gear upshift (which it did). Anyway, as can be seen in the pics below, two wires became exposed - presumably because the cable housing was against something too hot.

Here is the tuning chip from a company in the UK. Cost about £ 140.

The copper of 2 of the wires became exposed. Presume it was against something too hot (was not near moving parts).

After removing the chip I drove the car pretty hard normal roads and then on motorway at 180 km/h for about an hour and no problems at all. I will not put the chip back and hope that this was the reason.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

I had the same thing happen with a performance chip I installed on my old XFS (3.0D 272 hp), the wiring covers "melted" through in two places exposing the wires just a little. Didn't cause any great problems, so I carefully wrapped each exposed wire in insulation tape then wrapped the whole cable in plenty of tape, and made sure I re-routed the cabling well away from any high heat area, and never had a problem afterwards.
I don't think you need to throw away your chip, just rewrap and re-route it like I did and all should be well again.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:40 AM

Thanks and yes, it would make sense to simply re-tape with enough good quality insulation tape however I have the feeling the extra performance due to the chip may have been the cause for my "restricted performance" issue. Car has actually plenty of power without chip, just the earlier shifting and increased torque was nice.