XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Right front brake caliper - options? Or just OEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Right front brake caliper - options? Or just OEM

2013- XF/supercharger
hope my fellow xf’ers are doing well-

I was reaching in my back seat for something while parked earlier and foot was on brake- guess I pressed dwn harder than I normally would on brake while reaching... and felt a “pop”. The pedal went to floor board afterwards. I limped home and realized all my brake fluid had poured out. Towed to local mechanic and they said it was a busted cable and front right caliper. My question is what is a ball park for a fair price for this repair?
I’m “handy” but not too experienced working on brakes- doesn’t seem like this is something most could do themselves right? If so any special tools needed?

Another question is the mechanic said no aftermarket calipers/options can be used? he would need to order direct from jaguar. Is this true? The dealer quoted him 489 for caliper.
With parts and labor I was quoted around $1,100 which is fine but just hate getting ripped off- so wanted to confirm with my XF family here before cutting the check to Randy the mechanic. Randy btw seems to live lavishly by he looks if his toys in the adjacent garage on property. 🤔

Old 08-02-2018, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

I doubt it needs a complete new caliper, just a caliper/piston repair kit, and I think you can get those repair kits on Fleabay etc for not many $.
But first check what front brakes you have, they will be either the 355 mm (standard on the V6 SC) or the 380 mm (standard on the V8 SC), the "number' is shown on the edge of the caliper holder.
Yes, there are no after market calipers, it's OEM or nothing, but you can sometimes get lucky and find used or even new ones for sale on Fleabay for a lot less than the dealer price.
Also, if you are even remotely handy with the tools then replacing the caliper is a fairly simple job but fixing the existing caliper using a repair kit is a little more complicated.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguar33624 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Seems very strange to me. This car is only 5 years old, and that's not old for brake components like calipers and hoses. Pushing really hard on the brake pedal does not cause a failure of the hoses and or calipers. If it did, there would be a lot more accidents from panic stops. The brakes are designed to be able to be mashed hard.

So your failure is not an age or design issue. I guess it's possible it's a manufacturing issue.

Did you get a look at this "brake cable?" Did you hear that right, because brakes on cars haven't been cable operated since the 1920's?

I would find it really hard to believe that you had both a brake hose and a brake caliper failure at the same time. That's not really how pressure related failures work. The weak leak lets go, and relieves the pressure on the rest of the system before anything else can fail.

I would be willing to bet your caliper is just fine, and you blew just a hose, which would mean the mechanic is trying to "hose" you.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-02-2018 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaguar33624 (08-06-2018)