XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Rolling backwards down hill in snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry Rolling backwards down hill in snow

Has anyone else had this issue come up? My 2013 XF AWD rolled very slowly down my driveway twice in the last few months. Once after an ice storm and once during a recent snow storm. Both times I pulled into the driveway facing up hill and by hill, it really isn't that steep. First time I woke up to my wife telling me my Jag had the back end of the car in the street and she had pulled it back into the driveway, I went out about 2 hours later and it was almost back into the street again. So I pulled it up and set the parking brake and it didn't move any more.

Second time was last week after it snowed I pulled into the drive way and put the car in park and let my foot off the brake, by the time I opened the car door it was moving. It rolled backward at least 3 or 4 inches, I could see each tires tracks in the snow and it didn't slide it rolled.

I took it to the dealer and was told that the rear is the only wheels that lock up in park and that the front may have rolled but the rear would may have slipped in the snow... really the tech told me to set the parking brake to prevent it from happening again. 53 vehicles and at least that many motorcycles and I have never had to set the parking brake to prevent a car or truck from rolling in snow or ice. If it stopped it stayed where I left it.

Thoughts... and no I am not ranting just to say bad things.. I love my Jag this just shocks me that I would be told to set the parking brake to prevent it.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Sounds like a combination of a steep hill and poorly suited tires. If you have summer tires, you're screwed. If you have all seasons, they may be worn. Winter/snow tires are your best bet.

I doubt the parking brake makes any difference--the rear wheels are already going to be locked in park in this car and the parking brake would lock the rear wheels.

In a front wheel drive car, putting it in park would lock the front wheels and the parking brake would lock the rear wheels, which would be better in your situation!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Well he said it rolled and did not slide so the tires are not even a factor.

I have never heard of an automatic transmission that had a park position that did not mechanically lock the transmission. Now some very early automatics did NOT have a park position and yes those required the park brake to be set.

Maybe the AWD models have something different?

If you find out please post back.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

First time I've heard of this so either a car fault (like parking pawl not engaging) or an AWD "feature".

+1 let us know

It's a safety idea to set park brake, mandatory in some areas. Park pawl on many non-jag cars has been known to disengage and cause crashes.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:02 AM

Trust me if I find out I will post it. As far as drive way being to steep, that isn't it. I have had a steep driveway in the past and mine is far from that. Tires are the factory all season and have well over half tread life left.

The Service Adviser told me the mechanic (most experienced Jaguar Mechanic at the Dealership) said this could be normal and to just set the parking brake...

I figure it will snow again this weekend I plan to try and video the car without the parking brake set and with it set so I can get a better idea from both sides of the car. Too bad I don't have 4 Garmin VIRB's I wouldn't have to sit out in the cold.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Put a prominent chalk mark on rear tyre sidewalls so you can see if they rotated if the car goes downhill.

The following users liked this post:
joey4420 (01-31-2015)
Old 01-31-2015, 10:58 AM

Now that is a heck of an idea JagV8... makes me job even easier

Old 01-31-2015, 02:42 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I have heard of AWD vehicle not holding a car in a spot. My cousin Audi has done it on several occasion. It has something to do with how the tranny unlocks from the fly wheel when the car is parked. There is no pressure being generated buy the engine and as the fluid backs out of the system, the car can roll. It saves the system from having the cars weight rest on the tranny's lock pin. Your the first Jag I have heard about doing this.

The following users liked this post:
joey4420 (02-02-2015)
Old 02-01-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I noticed mine doing this last week when I went to my parent's. I parked in front of the garage which is on an incline but I actually saw it slide, the tires didn't roll. I'm going to guess the Extreme Contact DWS just don't have that great of traction on the ice.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Well that's what it is suppose to do. Slide not roll so I consider that normal.

Very interesting about AWD not locking the wheels. I had not heard that before.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1

Very interesting about AWD not locking the wheels. I had not heard that before.
I never heard of it either until I took a ride with my cousin last summer in his Audi RS. We had gone to dinner when he ran out of the restaurant to make sure his parking brake was on. When I inquire, he told me that his car rolled when parked on hills.. His dealership in Va. told him he had to use the parking brake as stated in his owners manual. My Rav4 nor my wife's Range Rover has ever done this but we general use the parking brake in our cars.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

The problem is most of us are old school and remember when cars had a dedicated parking pawl in the trans that locked the car in place. Most of your newer cars (especially the euro brands) now use the regular brakes to hold park, and because the US DOT requires a separate Emergency Brake system, that system is used to provide Emergency stopping and additional holding in park. My guess is there is a fix to your problem but you will need a knowledgeable DEALER to fix it. In the mean time USE THAT E BRAKE as much as possible, because with or with out you in it, ITS STILL YOUR CAR IN AN ACCIDENT..lol

Old 02-04-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Seems to me, especially in AWD cars the parking brake could be automatically engaged when placed in park. It's electronic anyway. Makes sense to me.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tbird6
Well he said it rolled and did not slide so the tires are not even a factor.
I highly doubt it is the tires/wheels rotating. Then it would happen on dry pavement, too!

Old 02-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
The problem is most of us are old school and remember when cars had a dedicated parking pawl in the trans that locked the car in place. Most of your newer cars (especially the euro brands) now use the regular brakes to hold park, and because the US DOT requires a separate Emergency Brake system, that system is used to provide Emergency stopping and additional holding in park.
What is your evidence? Certainly the ZF in modern Jaguars is not one of those automatic transmissions, as if you slowly put it in park as you come to a stop, it will jerk back and forth just like any other automatic car with a parking pawl.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-04-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

This is an AWD so might be different.

I'm hoping for further info....

Old 02-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joey4420
Has anyone else had this issue come up? My 2013 XF AWD rolled very slowly down my driveway twice in the last few months. Once after an ice storm and once during a recent snow storm. Both times I pulled into the driveway facing up hill and by hill, it really isn't that steep. First time I woke up to my wife telling me my Jag had the back end of the car in the street and she had pulled it back into the driveway, I went out about 2 hours later and it was almost back into the street again. So I pulled it up and set the parking brake and it didn't move any more.

Second time was last week after it snowed I pulled into the drive way and put the car in park and let my foot off the brake, by the time I opened the car door it was moving. It rolled backward at least 3 or 4 inches, I could see each tires tracks in the snow and it didn't slide it rolled.

I took it to the dealer and was told that the rear is the only wheels that lock up in park and that the front may have rolled but the rear would may have slipped in the snow... really the tech told me to set the parking brake to prevent it from happening again. 53 vehicles and at least that many motorcycles and I have never had to set the parking brake to prevent a car or truck from rolling in snow or ice. If it stopped it stayed where I left it.

Thoughts... and no I am not ranting just to say bad things.. I love my Jag this just shocks me that I would be told to set the parking brake to prevent it.
Joey I found this, could be a bigger problem than Ford though?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...5V519-3240.PDF
Funny the trans in the diagram looks like the ZF 6hp26-8 used in our cars, the torque specs are the same too?

Last edited by Bigg Will; 02-05-2015 at 02:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
What is your evidence? Certainly the ZF in modern Jaguars is not one of those automatic transmissions, as if you slowly put it in park as you come to a stop, it will jerk back and forth just like any other automatic car with a parking pawl.
BMW Technology Guide : Electromechanical Parking Brake
Electric Park Brake | TRW Automotive
Parking Brake, Electronic < Technical Glossary < Innovation & Technology < Volkswagen International
Continental designs electric parking brake for cars with drum brakes
SKF Electronic Parking Brake
Electromechanical parking brake > Glossary > advice > Audi St. Lucia

This IS the way of the modern transmission!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Big Will that Ford recall is very interesting and seems it would apply to anything with the ZF 6 speed in it. Also sounds like the transmission will mechanically lock in park too?

Surprised that it only required a pan drop and not removal of the transmission to do the repair.

Again no, the tires rolled and did not slide. Read what he said and stop doubting. We are concerned with facts!

Hoping to find if AWD does away with the mechanical locking of the transmission?

And the reason for the change?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

I hope the OP is able to find a solution for his problem, but there is no reason the problem wouldn't reappear on dry pavement if the vehicle is truly rolling, at least not that I can imagine.

Last edited by amcdonal86; 02-05-2015 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Rolling backwards down hill in snow