XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

SDD Battery Status and Pinpoint testing content

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 06:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SDD Battery Status and Pinpoint testing content

I have a version of SDD which I bought a couple of years ago, I believe it is version 1.34?

when I have tried to use it the battery status sumbol
us ALWAYS red (fails the initial battery check which. I have to skip at the beginning of a session). When I tried to run a test procedure which required good battery voltage it failed stating that the battery voltage was zero! It seems like there is no reading of tte battery voltage on the car. I have two
mongoose cables and get the same results with both. Also when going through tte diagnostic procedures when you reach the point where it should give you the pinpoint testing information it always fails with the message that the page is missing or not accessible, stating that it may be due to no internet connection. So can anyone help me shed light on these two issues. Is it that the software is incomplete in some way; if so is it possible to purchase fully working software? And, is the lack of voltage reading due to the cable or is it missing something? Thanks.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Are you using the correct power supply? You will often fail the battery test if your running SDD off the car battery alone.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Jaguar TSB SSD power supply.pdf (132.3 KB, 385 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sean W
Are you using the correct power supply? You will often fail the battery test if your running SDD off the car battery alone.
Hi Sean,

thanks for your reply. I presume you mean to charge the battery? No, I’ve been using a battery charger.

Regards,

Colin

Last edited by Colin21958; 06-09-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Colin. No I mean the power supply as noted in the TSB I attached. Battery chargers and SDD are not a good combination. You need a 13.8 low noise VDC when running SDD. There are other power supplies out there aside from Midtronics.

I can't say with certainty that's your problem but I did have that message once when I had my Astron power supply connected but did not turn it on.

As the power supply is required for correct operation of the SDD, I'd recommend you research and purchase the one that has the recommended output for your vehicle and eliminate it as the cause of the problem.

A lot of modules have been bricked due to insufficient power. Also, ensure your laptop is plugged in and not running on battery (though you get a different error if the laptop battery runs low.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:40 AM

OK. Having read the pdf you kindly supplied I now understand. However, I still don’t understand why SDD would report the battery voltage as zero (0V) when the battery was clearly at 12.8V. Does this make sense to you?

Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member

Recommendations for your vehicle - see attached

What year is your XF?

Attached Thumbnails SDD Battery Status and Pinpoint testing content-img_1246.png   SDD Battery Status and Pinpoint testing content-img_1247.png  
Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Hi Colin. No I mean the power supply as noted in the TSB I attached. Battery chargers and SDD are not a good combination. You need a 13.8 low noise VDC when running SDD. There are other power supplies out there aside from Midtronics.

I can't say with certainty that's your problem but I did have that message once when I had my Astron power supply connected but did not turn it on.

As the power supply is required for correct operation of the SDD, I'd recommend you research and purchase the one that has the recommended output for your vehicle and eliminate it as the cause of the problem.

A lot of modules have been bricked due to insufficient power. Also, ensure your laptop is plugged in and not running on battery (though you get a different error if the laptop battery runs low.
Thanks, I will investigate. I have been running the laptop on mains not battery.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

You're welcome. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:12 PM

You're welcome. Good luck.
Thanks. Can you suggest any power supplies to consider? I’ve been looking but can’t find many that would appear suitable and affordable! 😊

Old 06-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

yeah affordable is subjective but a biggy. What year is your XF or what is the minimum voltage recommendation?

Old 06-09-2018, 12:15 PM

yeah affordable is subjective but a biggy. What year is your XF or what is the minimum voltage recommendation?
its a 2008 2.7D. Not sure what the minimum voltage recommendation is.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Per the attached recommendations, that would be a 25 amp rating. As I'm in the US, it won't do much good, but I'll look and post one or two of what I would buy if it were my car.

I have an 07 XK and use an Astron RM-50M which serves me well. Cost me around $100 US if I recall.
This one is a bit more as it has the face dials. They do ship international.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRON-POWE...UAAOSwvihY8qLP

This is similar to the one I have

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASTRON-POWE...5.c10#viTabs_0

Last edited by Sean W; 06-09-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Thank you so much. I have ordered one and will hopefully have it in about a week or so. 😀👍

Old 06-10-2018, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

You'll need the Alligator clamps and some 12/14 gauge wire to connect the unit to the battery. The charger doesn't come with them.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:28 AM

You'll need the Alligator clamps and some 12/14 gauge wire to connect the unit to the battery. The charger doesn't come with them.
OK Sean. Thanks. 😀👍

Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM

Hi Sean,

I’m still waiting for the power supply to arrive, I’m expecting it in a week or two’s time. However, in the meantime I was thinking about this and wondered why it shows zero volts in the software; this implies that it is not making a connection to read the voltage of the battery. Why could this be? Shouldn’t it read the battery voltage through the mongoose lead? Or is there some other method of reading the battery voltage?

Also, I have no pinpoint testing information for any of the recommended actions from the software, should these not be present? Is there some setting I need to change to link to the pinpoint testing - it seemed to install pinpoint testing when the system was installed but when they are selected from a “Recommended Candidate” I get the error message that there is no connection to the TopiX website. Do you HAVE to have a subscription to that site in order to get this information or should it be included when it is installing “Pinpoint testing data” during installation? I’ve done a lot of searching but can find no answer to this problem. Can you help please? Thanks.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Colin. As mentioned, I'm not 100% certain that's your issue but it has happened with my software and I believe it's a connection issue which could be caused by a number of things.
I have an OEM Rotunda VCM which has LED lights to identify status. I don't have Mongoose.

I use a dedicated laptop, no internet connection whatsoever, no firewall, no antivirus software and I run SDD version 125 on Windows 32 bit. I run it right off Windows 32 (not VMWare). I don't have a TOPIX subscription.
I start the laptop (plugged in), then plug in the VCM to the laptop and then the OBD II port with ignition off.
I wait for the message "VCM connected" before launching the software.
I occasionally had issues with the system not recognizing the car battery when following this sequence before I added battery support. As battery support is critical enough for Jaguar to notify everyone that it's required, it's at the top of the list. I have not had the problem since.

You need TOPIX for the pinpoint functionality as far as I'm aware. I use the service manual for my pinpoint testing guidance.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:47 AM

Hey Colin. As mentioned, I'm not 100% certain that's your issue but it has happened with my software and I believe it's a connection issue which could be caused by a number of things.
I have an OEM Rotunda VCM which has LED lights to identify status. I don't have Mongoose.

I use a dedicated laptop, no internet connection whatsoever, no firewall, no antivirus software and I run SDD version 125 on Windows 32 bit. I run it right off Windows 32 (not VMWare). I don't have a TOPIX subscription.
I start the laptop (plugged in), then plug in the VCM to the laptop and then the OBD II port with ignition off.
I wait for the message "VCM connected" before launching the software.
I occasionally had issues with the system not recognizing the car battery when following this sequence before I added battery support. As battery support is critical enough for Jaguar to notify everyone that it's required, it's at the top of the list. I have not had the problem since.

You need TOPIX for the pinpoint functionality as far as I'm aware. I use the service manual for my pinpoint testing guidance.
Thanks for that. You could be right, it’s just the fact that it shows zero volts in the software, if it’s reading the battery at all you would expect it to show something!

As far as the pinpoint testing is concerned, I can’t find that information in the workshop manual or the electrical manual; it just says “use the diagnostic system”. So I can’t carry out testing manually as I don’t have the data I would need. ☹️

Old 06-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Ah yes, you're referring to "Carry out any pinpoint tests associated with this DTC using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system" from the manual. My bad. As far as I know, you need a TOPIX Subscription to access those.

Many pinpoint tests are in the manual as well but I would defer to the forum for specific codes for a place to start when your vehicle throws a code.

To your first point, when I encountered the problem, the system wouldn't read my VIN at times. At other times it just didn't respond and the battery icon in SDD was grayed out.

Perhaps a tech has a better explanation, sorry

Old 06-15-2018, 09:13 AM

Ah yes, you're referring to "Carry out any pinpoint tests associated with this DTC using the manufacturer approved diagnostic system" from the manual. My bad. As far as I know, you need a TOPIX Subscription to access those.

Many pinpoint tests are in the manual as well but I would defer to the forum for specific codes for a place to start when your vehicle throws a code.

To your first point, when I encountered the problem, the system wouldn't read my VIN at times. At other times it just didn't respond and the battery icon in SDD was grayed out.

Perhaps a tech has a better explanation, sorry
thanks for your help Sean. It is much appreciated that you took the time to offer suggestions. I will
bear them all in mind in trying to find solutions to my problems. 😄

Quick Reply: SDD Battery Status and Pinpoint testing content