XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water in driver side front door. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in driver side front door. Any ideas?

Every time it rains, I get water in my door. The next day I hear it swooshing around when I open/ close the door, brake, accelerate, etc

Any ideas what causing this?

To relieve it I have to shake the door hard, and run my finger through the drain hole at the bottom of the door which then starts releasing the water. It's a lot though.. While I was a thinking the drain hole was clogged and by me disturbing the opening, it starts to drain the water, there just seems to be too much water in the door to diagnose the problem as a clogged drain hole.

Is the leak coming from somewhere else?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you said; every time it rains so, it is the rain water getting in. Most probable cause is the rubberized seal along the glass...a natural dam. Over time, there is a dirt (probably rust) accumulation inside your door panel. You will need to remove the door card (panel) and thoroughly clean the inside of the door. If you do indeed have rust, you will need to treat this with a "rust inhibitor" (there are numerous good choices at your auto parts store (they will suggest). When you have cleaned the inside of the door, you will need to look for the "drain holes" at the bottom of the door. Make certain they are clean and clear.
Replacing the door window seal is a little more time consuming but not too difficult (about a 4.5 skill level). You do not have to replace the door seal immediately but the cleaning and clearing of the inside of the panel needs t be done soon
Ron

The following users liked this post:
Mystro9876 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 PM

Thanks Ron. I will look to tackle this over the weekend. When I clean around the drain hole it's definitely mucky in there. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:31 PM

When removing the panel, is it never 'the same' once it's reinstalled (i.e. Rattling)?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,124 Likes on 2,304 Posts

In most cases it's no worse for rattles, and in many cases you can make it better (less rattles) by re-wrapping the window and door lock cable insulation (it often dissolves) and adding some sound deadening around the speaker enclosures.

Mystro9876 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 PM

Should be like new. It is very common to break some of the little plastic fasteners but you can buy replacements. The inner liner should have a mastic seal which will no doubt be dried out....use a flexible sealant (caulk) to re-seal the lining on re-installation...this prevents humidity from damaging the door card. Take a digital photo(s) as you progress if you need to feel more confident in replacing the screws, etc.. Not mandatory but if you feel you need to. Just be patient and careful....you are not trying t break records, take you time and do it right.

Mystro9876 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=jagu...=1494447249820

I have attached a couple sites to visit. One is a Utube site showing removal of the door card/panel
The other is a site showing availability of window seals.
Ron

Mystro9876 (05-13-2017)

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 PM

Amazing stuff Ron/Oz.. will be going in tomorrow! Wish me luck. Thanks again for the time and dedication

Old 05-13-2017, 03:32 PM

You don't need luck....just dive in and make it happen....but, just in case, Good Luck.
Ron

Old 09-13-2017, 02:37 PM

This happened to me. Its now happened twice. Jaguar tell me its 'an environmental issue' and not a design fault. Clearly there is a problem with their doors that they are refusing to acknowledge. All 4 doors have at some point filled with water. The service centre told me they had to clear the drainage holes.

I have also been told by JaguarUK that this is not a warranty issue and that they may not resolve it next time. One door had to have its electrics rebuilt because they had corroded.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Graeme Caul
This happened to me. Its now happened twice. Jaguar tell me its 'an environmental issue' and not a design fault. Clearly there is a problem with their doors that they are refusing to acknowledge. All 4 doors have at some point filled with water. The service centre told me they had to clear the drainage holes.
Yes, you can usually just clear the drain holes with a piece of wire like a coat hanger.