XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Water pump and outlet tube question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 05:55 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Water pump and outlet tube question

Yup, another cooling system question.....hope you all don't mind.
As you may know I have replaced about all the coolant pipes and hoses on my 2011 XF NA, after buttoning it up, a pressure test showed the external small diameter pipe to the water pump just barely leaking. So I have added a water pump and outlet tube to the bill, it's going to be ten days in arriving so I want to be sure of a couple of things.

1) The pump shows a gasket (thought there were two?) and the outlet tube shows an o-ring in each "kit". Are there any additional gaskets or o-rings not included in these "kits"? For example, the Jag parts finder shows a Engine Oil Cooler Line O-Ring as well.
AJ813909 Water Pump Assembly
C2Z18658 Outlet Tube

2) Do I need to remove the inlet manifold and front crossover tube (again!) to get access to do the job?

thanks very much.

Last edited by kenc; 08-31-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

That outlet tube design - along with the water pump itself - is just straight up appalling. So many potential places for leakage.

There are two o-rings in total - one goes on the oil cooler outlet, and the outlet tube goes on that, and then the outlet tube has another o-ring and then the pump goes onto that. I'm afraid I don't remember which parts include them.

You can replace the pump + outlet tube without removing the inlet manifold/crossover pipe.

The only piece of advice I have is do not do what I did, and repeatedly use the screws to pull the pump straight with existing hoses attached, because these are only m6 fine threaded holes in an aluminum block, and I ended up having to install helicoils in all four holes. Woe.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:36 AM

That's what I feared, I think the outlet pipe includes ONE o-ring! I need the o-ring for the other end. Hopefully I can get the online dealer to modify the order.

If the inlet manifold and crossover are still there - you can fit the o-ring on the oil cooler outlet without having fingers like a 5 year old child?

Old 09-01-2020, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Fair question. From memory it's possible, but I'm working on the supercharged engine so not sure how/if things differ much on NA. Only one way to find out!

Old 09-01-2020, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Fair question. From memory it's possible, but I'm working on the supercharged engine so not sure how/if things differ much on NA. Only one way to find out!
Yes, Dave .....as usual it will be an experience!

As usual the online Jaguar parts diagrams are rubbish. There is a second o-ring not shown in the "exploded diagram", which. of course, goes between the outlet pipe and the oil cooler.
so, for future water pump replacers:

AJ813909 Water Pump Assembly (includes the gaskets)
C2Z18658 Outlet Tube (includes ONE o-ring, you need TWO)
AJ811539 identical to the "included" o-ring between pump and outlet tube

Old 09-01-2020, 10:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

In order to change the pump you can lift the intake manifold a few inches just enough to be able to see what you´re doing, it´s just a couple of hoses and connectors and ten bolts.

Land Rover parts are usually cheaper and exactly the same:

LR030593 O-ring
LR028136 Small tube
LR097165 Water pump

Old 09-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by xfportfolio
In order to change the pump you can lift the intake manifold a few inches just enough to be able to see what you´re doing, it´s just a couple of hoses and connectors and ten bolts.

Land Rover parts are usually cheaper and exactly the same:

LR030593 O-ring
LR028136 Small tube
LR097165 Water pump
Damn! Wish I'd known that before I placed the order.

I've already had the manifold off once to change the rear crossover pipe, so I imagine it will be less stressful a second time, I'll probably remove it and the front crossover to get easy access. Seems like this job will never end!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:37 AM

Well, I can confirm that replacing the water pump, outlet pipe and oil cooler o-ring can be done without pulling or lifting the manifold or crossover pipe. I did it yesterday, and thank God when I used my airlift, the vacuum did not leak away from 25 psi (or inches of mercury, whichever it is?) as it did before.
Getting the short hose from the water pump to the thermostat on was a beach of a job and I wish I had mounted it to the water pump first.

An airlift is a wonderful tool, well worth buying. And the 17mm allen, the ratchet torx set, the gearwrench 1/4" extra long flex head ratchet, the astro hose clamp tool, Yup, you end up buying a lot of tools when you have to replace 15 hoses/pipes and a water pump. And I thought I had every tool known to man?

So about $1100 in parts/SH and $200 or so in tools.

Today I get to replace all the junk on top of the motor.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help STILL A LEAK under BTTM of pump

Your think maybe if I attempted two O-rings on the out side where the pump push back on that will stop my possible leak. I've taken the pump off 6 times and still a leak from under the pump starts
Originally Posted by davetibbs
That outlet tube design - along with the water pump itself - is just straight up appalling. So many potential places for leakage.

There are two o-rings in total - one goes on the oil cooler outlet, and the outlet tube goes on that, and then the outlet tube has another o-ring and then the pump goes onto that. I'm afraid I don't remember which parts include them.

You can replace the pump + outlet tube without removing the inlet manifold/crossover pipe.

The only piece of advice I have is do not do what I did, and repeatedly use the screws to pull the pump straight with existing hoses attached, because these are only m6 fine threaded holes in an aluminum block, and I ended up having to install helicoils in all four holes. Woe.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:40 AM
Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Early 3 part type CW pump leak from Tell Tail.

Originally Posted by GaryDW
Your think maybe if I attempted two O-rings on the out side where the pump push back on that will stop my possible leak. I've taken the pump off 6 times and still a leak from under the pump starts
Are you sure it is not the pump leaking from the tell-tail hole? or the CW seals??
They are not O rings, rather seals see item No.5. One on the pump and the other on the connector tube back onto the oil cooler.

see items 2 (x2) and item 5 (x2) (front and back of item 4 tube.

also see post No.2

Something like this.

Looks like it is coming from the casing.

Close up

Early type 2014

Opened up.

The tell tail hole with CW crystals.

Last edited by bydand; 01-02-2024 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added Photo,s