Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XF and XFR ( X250 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/)
-   -   Water pumps and crossover failures on the 5.0 engines (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/water-pumps-crossover-failures-5-0-engines-143771/)

mfurtado 05-30-2016 08:43 PM

Just did this repair over the weekend. 2012 XF portfolio 2 months outside of the factory warranty. Of course the CPO warranty does not cover the crossover pipe because it's made of plastic or so I'm told by the service department. Terrible place to use seam welded two piece plastic. In the cooling system no less, WTF, and it's known to fail just outside of the factory warranty period. This is no doubt by design but everyone knows manufactures make their money in parts and service not selling the cars themselves.

heem_infinite 06-02-2016 01:04 PM

Just had to get mine replaced yesterday on my 2010. The dealership replaced the water pump in 2013 but didn't change the crossover. Cost me over $700.

Polyesterpig 06-28-2016 01:16 AM

My CPO warranty just covered my crossover pipe. Rusnak in Pasadena did the work. FYI

I had the water pump replaced 6 months ago and I ask them to do the crossover and I would pay for the part. They said I would have to pay for the labor because the manifold would have to be removed. They suggested not to worry about it because it looked good and would be covered under warranty if it failed. They were right. They said rubber hoses were not covered, but the hard plastic pipes were.

lotusespritse 06-28-2016 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig (Post 1489249)
My CPO warranty just covered my crossover pipe. Rusnak in Pasadena did the work. FYI

I had the water pump replaced 6 months ago and I ask them to do the crossover and I would pay for the part. They said I would have to pay for the labor because the manifold would have to be removed. They suggested not to worry about it because it looked good and would be covered under warranty if it failed. They were right. They said rubber hoses were not covered, but the hard plastic pipes were.

But would the warranty have covered a new engine if it was damaged from the coolant all pouring out and you were in a spot you couldn't pull over?

Polyesterpig 06-29-2016 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1489345)
But would the warranty have covered a new engine if it was damaged from the coolant all pouring out and you were in a spot you couldn't pull over?

Nope!

lotusespritse 07-15-2016 03:30 PM

FYI, I just did this job this week (over 4 evenings) and here's my DIY on replacing all of the plastic parts, even the ones that haven't failed commonly yet, but they are all suspect, so I changed them.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cement-165783/

Rique 08-28-2016 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can anybody give me a name or part number for the part circled in red. I have looked on parts.com and other jaguar parts sources but no success.

lotusespritse 08-28-2016 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rique (Post 1525039)
Can anybody give me a name or part number for the part circled in red. I have looked on parts.com and other jaguar parts sources but no success.

I think I posted the part number in my DIY thread. That part basically doesn't exist anymore. It's two separate part numbers now for 2 different pieces.

Rique 08-28-2016 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1525059)
I think I posted the part number in my DIY thread. That part basically doesn't exist anymore. It's two separate part numbers now for 2 different pieces.

I´v gone through every part you list but could not find. Help a brother out I´m loosing my mind searching the web.

THanks.

OzXFR 08-28-2016 08:02 PM

I've done some Goggling using the number on the hose underneath (8W93-9F814-AD) and that hose appears to be called the "throttle body coolant return hose".
Although I didn't get an exact hit on that number, this page shows a part with *almost* the same number: Jaguar HOSE COOLANT RETURN FOR THROTTLE BODY - AJ89554
Hope this helps!

lotusespritse 08-28-2016 09:44 PM

"I´v gone through every part you list but could not find. Help a brother out I´m loosing my mind searching the web."

Dude, the part numbers were in my DIY list. Let me do the searching for you:

Tube: Terrys Jaguar Parts

HOSE: Terrys Jaguar Parts

Trust me on this one: In the not so distant future, the interview for most white collar jobs will primarily be a test of the candidate's ability to search. I'm sorry, but you would not get the job.

Rique 08-28-2016 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1525127)
"I´v gone through every part you list but could not find. Help a brother out I´m loosing my mind searching the web."

Dude, the part numbers were in my DIY list. Let me do the searching for you:

Tube: Terrys Jaguar Parts

HOSE: Terrys Jaguar Parts

Trust me on this one: In the not so distant future, the interview for most white collar jobs will primarily be a test of the candidate's ability to search. I'm sorry, but you would not get the job.

Appreciate the help. I did´nt want to appear like a slacker. Picture of the first pipe C2Z28467 looks totally different from what I have in my car. I have those stiff black plastic pipes. This one looks like a regular high pressure rubber hose. Anyway thanks and positive Karma to you.

Polyesterpig 08-31-2016 10:30 AM

FYI the supercharged crossover pipe is a different part and isn't a 2 piece welded plastic part. Don't know if it will fit the N/A 5.0 engine. It is a sectioned part with hose clamps. Possible to rotate the sections to fit the 5.0 N/A engine? Any jag techs out there to confirm yes or no?

There is a picture of the two different crossover pipes on the second page of this thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-151358/page2/

bocatrip 01-03-2017 02:33 PM

Considering that the plastic crossover pipe in the 5.0 non supercharged engine has had so many issues, does anyone know if this part has ever been updated? I have a 2010 XK 5.0 (non supercharged) and I have been smelling coolant and losing some as well. I have an extended warranty and will be bringing my car to dealership soon.

Shadow993 01-03-2017 02:54 PM

I'm not sure what pipe you are referring to, but when I did my dads water pump on his 2011 non supercharged, a lot of the plastic bit have been updated. It was very confusing at first when talking to the parts guy.

One small pipe on the new part was a dead end.
For some reason.

lotusespritse 01-03-2017 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by bocatrip (Post 1595804)
Considering that the plastic crossover pipe in the 5.0 non supercharged engine has had so many issues, does anyone know if this part has ever been updated? I have a 2010 XK 5.0 (non supercharged) and I have been smelling coolant and losing some as well. I have an extended warranty and will be bringing my car to dealership soon.

Better chance your water pump is leaking under those circumstances. The plastic pipes tend to burst at the seams where they are fused together, so you don't get a slow leak.

I replace *all* of the plastic recently, and there's only 2 part number that have changed, and they didn't change significantly. The problem areas are still the same. It's not cheap in parts to do it all, and it's a lot of work, but I don't want to be stranded by the side of the road or blow an engine by waiting for them to break.

bocatrip 01-03-2017 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse (Post 1595825)
Better chance your water pump is leaking under those circumstances. The plastic pipes tend to burst at the seams where they are fused together, so you don't get a slow leak.

I replace *all* of the plastic recently, and there's only 2 part number that have changed, and they didn't change significantly. The problem areas are still the same. It's not cheap in parts to do it all, and it's a lot of work, but I don't want to be stranded by the side of the road or blow an engine by waiting for them to break.

Lotus.....I think you are making a good point about the crossover. Unfortunately, my local dealership had mentioned to me a few years ago that if they inspect the water pump and see some crust or minor seepage they will not replace the pump which I find absolutely ridiculous as I'm driving a car with a known problem and no temperature gauge. I'm bringing my car in tomorrow morning, so to be continued.

ChrisJay 01-07-2017 12:11 PM

bump, mine failed too last year.

BostonKiller 01-13-2017 11:22 AM

couple of months ago I got a Check Engine Light warning on my 2015 XF V8 S/C. Dealer suspected an emissions failure of some sort. Turned out to be the water pump. Car has some 14K mi on it at the time.
Pretty early for such a failure, but hey the warranty...

bwhitehorn 02-23-2018 06:42 PM

Bumping this up with a question. I have a 2010 XF 5.0 and I need to change out the water pump. Trying to do it myself. Can this be done easily without a lift? Also what side of the engine is it on? The reservoir is on the right side of the engine bay as I look at it, but it seems my coolant leak is from the left as I look at the car. Any thoughts, pictures, or video tutorials for this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!