XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

what kind of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:26 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by RodTee XF
So the 5,000 miles til the next oil change they put on the sticker is a bunch of bull??
Yup. Hasn't been required in many many years. The oil shops won't tell you cause they're in business to sell you oil.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

in a few years there's going to be a glut of current vintage Jaguars with sludged up engines on the used market.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
in a few years there's going to be a glut of current vintage Jaguars with sludged up engines on the used market.

What makes you say that? Is it that you think the factory service interval is too long?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Respectfully, Plums, in the spirit of free exchange of ideas, I will save your words so that we can have our argument again in a few (three?) years. I have faithfully changed my oil in my older Jags at the recommended 10 K, using synthetic oil and never seen any indication of sludge in the wetted area. On the "roof" of the cam covers, maybe, but not so much that it was going to dislodge and fall into the "good oil" part. I am not expecting another 5 K to cause the gloom and doom you predict. But we will see!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
What makes you say that? Is it that you think the factory service interval is too long?
There's no need to peer into crystal ***** or restrict the field to just Jag. History demonstrates that 'extended' oil change intervals have been around for decades- some recommended by OEMs, but many many more instances of neglectful owners just not doing them as per the book.

Is there a correlating history of sludged up engines or premature wear? No.

As much as we now know that 3K or 5K mile intervals are overly conservative, I'm sure in the near future we'll find that 10K is not in the least bit adventurous either.

Even the lowly 2003 Honda Civic in our fleet has a 10K interval.............

Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

And 4 qts of oil!

Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

I definitely expect that from the oil shops but this is the dealer recommendation but I know they're in the business of taking our money too...smh

Originally Posted by Mikey
Yup. Hasn't been required in many many years. The oil shops won't tell you cause they're in business to sell you oil.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by RodTee XF
I definitely expect that from the oil shops but this is the dealer recommendation but I know they're in the business of taking our money too...smh
Next time- ask the dealer what they're basing the recommendation on. Jag dealers don't typically see enough older, high mileage vehicles that have been 'abused' for long enough to make such a call. Most owners stop going to dealers not long after the warranty expires or sell the vehicles and the 'traceability' ends. If they are seeing such vehicles and noticing problems linked to an incorrect maintenance interval- why is this not being fed back to HQ?

BTW- Your dealer is not alone in deviating from published specs for profit motivated reasons. Many do it. I caught a Ford dealer running a scam by offering lifetime free oil changes on every vehicle sold. Irrespective of what the scheduled interval was, the owner was instructed to return the vehicles every 5000KM (3K miles!) for a change and courtesy 'inspection'.

Turns out they weren't changing the oil at all, just dragging cars off the street hoping to find other work to 'upsell' the owner on. I got wise when they recommended new rear rotors and pads on a vehicle that had drum brakes. They had based their recommendation on the vehicle's total mileage and not a physical inspection. They had the vehicle's year wrong and assumed it had disc brakes.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:02 AM
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow...lol! You definitely have to watch anyone working on your car. I'm now out of warranty so not real sure I'll be going in for every oil change as I did while under warranty, but next time I will ask the question.

Originally Posted by Mikey
Next time- ask the dealer what they're basing the recommendation on. Jag dealers don't typically see enough older, high mileage vehicles that have been 'abused' for long enough to make such a call. Most owners stop going to dealers not long after the warranty expires or sell the vehicles and the 'traceability' ends. If they are seeing such vehicles and noticing problems linked to an incorrect maintenance interval- why is this not being fed back to HQ?

BTW- Your dealer is not alone in deviating from published specs for profit motivated reasons. Many do it. I caught a Ford dealer running a scam by offering lifetime free oil changes on every vehicle sold. Irrespective of what the scheduled interval was, the owner was instructed to return the vehicles every 5000KM (3K miles!) for a change and courtesy 'inspection'.

Turns out they weren't changing the oil at all, just dragging cars off the street hoping to find other work to 'upsell' the owner on. I got wise when they recommended new rear rotors and pads on a vehicle that had drum brakes. They had based their recommendation on the vehicle's total mileage and not a physical inspection. They had the vehicle's year wrong and assumed it had disc brakes.