XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Why my new car is a Tesla

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:43 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why my new car is a Tesla

So sadly a couple of weeks ago I had to say goodbye to my 2011 XF Premium. Six years ago I thought I would never leave the Jaguar family.
Unfortunately, I learned over the last few years by my own experience and through this forum that Jaguar does not stand behind their own product.

Of the issues discussed over the years on this forum, the one that stands out for me the most, is the many reports of owners having had with the bulge in the dash, it seems to me that this is absolutely a design flaw and I find it reprehensible that for most of these customers, Jaguar failed to offer a real solution or accommodation--thus costing their customer's thousands of dollars for replacement by a dealer. Thankfully, this never happened to me--but it certainly had me looking at my damn dash every time I got in--just waiting for the first sign--this was also part of my motivation to sell.

As for personal experiences, just a few weeks after buying my XF I was traveling at speed on the Interstate when I began to feel a vibration. I slowed down and pulled over at the next exit. I found several lug nuts on the rear passenger wheel loose enough I could turn with my hand. I got the lug wrench out of the trunk and started tightening. The stem on the first lug snap off as soon as I placed the wrench on it. This of course was very alarming as I didn't know how many other stems may also have been compromised. I was able to limp home and take the car in to the dealer the next day.

The hub needed replaced and if memory serves me it cost about $300 for the repair. I was furious with Jaguar--no one had touch the wheels since purchase. Also, I am pretty sure no one was attempting to murder me. My car is stored in garage at night and behind security at the airport in which I work. Therefore, I believe they were never properly torqued when I received the vehicle.
(Yes I realize I should have checked myself)

So not only was I very concerned that this incident could have lead to a very serious accident, to add insult to injury I had to pay for it out of my own pocket. I fought this up several layers with Jaguar before giving up and telling them I will never buy another Jaguar again.

In all fairness I will say overall I very much enjoyed the car. it was beautiful and had impressive performance. It got "looks" on the street until the day I sold. I also believe its interior was unmatched in luxury by any other car in its class.

However, I am a man of my word so Jaguar lost a customer over $300. I hope it was worth it to them.

When it came time to find a new vehicle, and with Jaguar no longer an option, I wound up buying a 2016 Tesla Model S. Most fun car I have ever driven--let alone owned. I just love it! The ride, torque and technology are all amazing. But I do still miss my damn cat....

The following 2 users liked this post by jlwine:
dotcom (08-15-2016), zangonli (08-10-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Put a leaper on the front of the Tesla, simples.

The following users liked this post:
MarkN (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

How's the exhaust note on the Tesla? That's one reason I would have a really hard time buying one. Would be more like an appliance than a car, even though they are quite quick.

Too bad your experience with Jaguar was poor. Hope your next years with the Tesla are better.

TreVoRTasmin (08-14-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I wonder if there's a market for a sound box with speakers to allow you to upload the engine sound of your choice. Rolls Royce Merlin from Spitfire anybody ?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I am not too far off from the OP.

I formerly had a 2010 XF and now I have a 2010 XFR that I love to drive. Funnest car ever but a mechanical POS! Electronics, sensors, batteries, wires, injectors, water pumps, sun roofs, hoses - so much has gone wrong and yet i still shine her every day and love the joy rides.

I also love Tesla and can easily see myself owning one soon.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 318 Likes on 245 Posts

Good luck with that my friend:

Tesla Model S: Too Many Problems To Recommend, Consumer Reports Says

"The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks."

Lose lugnuts, LMAO!

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-08-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

Originally Posted by jlwine
several lug nuts on the rear passenger wheel loose enough I could turn with my hand. I got the lug wrench out of the trunk and started tightening. The stem on the first lug snap off as soon as I placed the wrench on it.
That's terrible. However, it's one person in one shop who goofed (I hope you told the shop owner!). It's not as far as I know anything about Jaguar design or quality.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
How's the exhaust note on the Tesla? That's one reason I would have a really hard time buying one. Would be more like an appliance than a car, even though they are quite quick.

Too bad your experience with Jaguar was poor. Hope your next years with the Tesla are better.
I understand your point--I love the growl of the "cat" that I believe Jaguar has perfected. However, in much in the same way I love both pizza and lasagna--I can at the same time also love Tesla's silence only broken by the faint whine of the electric motors. I'm in the aerospace industry so that sound reminds me of a distant APU spooling up and down. I just love it! And yes, it is quicker off the line them pretty much anything else out there. Lots of cars may beat it to the 1/4 mile--very few will beat me the first 100 yards. Love it!

Old 08-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by MarkN
I am not too far off from the OP.

I formerly had a 2010 XF and now I have a 2010 XFR that I love to drive. Funnest car ever but a mechanical POS! Electronics, sensors, batteries, wires, injectors, water pumps, sun roofs, hoses - so much has gone wrong and yet i still shine her every day and love the joy rides.

I also love Tesla and can easily see myself owning one soon.

Well Mark if you buy a Tesla in the next 67 days you can use this code to save $1,000--and I get a free gym bag or something!

http://ts.la/jack2651

If you are not yet ready to buy--do NOT test drive!! You will be buying before you know!

MarkN (08-11-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
That's terrible. However, it's one person in one shop who goofed (I hope you told the shop owner!). It's not as far as I know anything about Jaguar design or quality.

Agree, I don't believe it had anything to do with design. It was either a failure in manufacturing or dealer prep--or both. The fact that I was left footing the bill is what made me decide never again. And sadly, that was only reinforced over time with many issues--albeit most of them small. But the last two--the water pump, and then just three months later a plastic connector in the cooling system failing--were significant. Fortunately, my extended warranty was very good and covered all expenses related to this two issues as well as replacing upper control arms--or something like that.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Good luck with that my friend:

Tesla Model S: Too Many Problems To Recommend, Consumer Reports Says

"The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks."

Lose lugnuts, LMAO!

I stopped reading or believing anything Consumer reports says after the picked "Milwaukee Best" as a top beer choice in the late 80's or early 90s.

I've only had the Tesla a month--but so far perfection! It still cutting edge technology in many ways so I do expect there to be issues, but from all I have read their level of service is nothing short of outstanding.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member

I stopped reading or believing anything Consumer reports says after the picked "Milwaukee Best" as a top beer choice in the late 80's or early 90s.

I've only had the Tesla a month--but so far perfection! It still cutting edge technology in many ways so I do expect there to be issues, but from all I have read their level of service is nothing short of outstanding.
You can tell that story about CR when you're dead:
Fatal autopilot crash magnifies Tesla production problems

Because you're under a gag order until then:
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/13/tesla...spensions.html

Last edited by lotusespritse; 08-09-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To each his own on reasons for being loyal to a company, or choosing not to do business with them, but I am definitely happy you chose Tesla. I rode in my friends 2012 base Model S and just that one experience was something to remember. It felt like I was riding in a car from the future. I like Elon Musk's goals and it's about time the electric car was done right. They didn't just do it right, they shot to the moon on it in my opinion. Tesla Model S for me is in my top 5 for best looking sedans of all time. My breath often gets taken away every time I see one, and then to top it all off, it being one of the quickest sedans in the world is amazing. yes, I can see them being unreliable, but unlike Jaguar, they are unreliable because they were a brand new company working with brand new technologies. jaguar has had decades to figure out how to build a car so sometimes reliability of these European cars is a bit embarrassing. None the less, I still love my 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio and I bet you will love your Model S.

jlwine (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 PM

Tesla denies safety problems with Model S suspensions
I will assume you are just a troll and not really that ill-informed on Tesla outstanding safety rating. Either way I don't have time for you.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by showstopper9ren
To each his own on reasons for being loyal to a company, or choosing not to do business with them, but I am definitely happy you chose Tesla. I rode in my friends 2012 base Model S and just that one experience was something to remember. It felt like I was riding in a car from the future. I like Elon Musk's goals and it's about time the electric car was done right. They didn't just do it right, they shot to the moon on it in my opinion. Tesla Model S for me is in my top 5 for best looking sedans of all time. My breath often getss taken away every time I see one, and then to top it all off, it being one of the quickest sedans in the world is amazing. yes, I can see them being unreliable, but unlike Jaguar, they are unreliable because they were a brand new company working with brand new technologies. jaguar has had decades to figure out how to build a car so sometimes reliability of these European cars is a bit embarrassing. None the less, I still love my 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio and I bet you will love your Model S.
Thanks, I am loving it and I think and hope that Tesla is pushing all car makers to finally see the future.. I expect to see many more racing to develope vehicles that can compete in this growing market segment. That will benefit all of us.

I hope you continue to enjoy your XF, it is a beautiful and fun car.

Last edited by jlwine; 08-09-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

I will assume you are just a troll and not really that ill-informed on Tesla outstanding safety rating. Either way I don't have time for you.
Guess who is the troll with plenty of time? The jerk that trolls the Jaguar forum when he/she has sold the car and just comes back here to bad mouth it.

We all know you are going to have more problems with the Tesla than you had with the Jag over the next 5-6 years. It's all over the internet. Just open your eyes. And the fact that Tesla puts a gag order on owners before they agree to fix things!? Hilarious.

Just move along little man. You don't own a Jag XF anymore so you don't belong here. I have 2 of them because they are awesome cars. If I wanted a Tesla, I'd own 2 of them. Don't see me on the Tesla forum. Troll!

Here's a pic for people like you:

Attached Thumbnails Why my new car is a Tesla-women.jpg  
Old 08-11-2016, 06:50 AM

Tesla denies safety problems with Model S suspensions
1 accident / death in hundreds of millions of miles. I am sure that no Jaguar malfunction has ever led to a fatal car accident (NOT!).

Old 08-11-2016, 06:53 AM

Guess who is the troll with plenty of time? The jerk that trolls the Jaguar forum when he/she has sold the car and just comes back here to bad mouth it.

We all know you are going to have more problems with the Tesla than you had with the Jag over the next 5-6 years. It's all over the internet. Just open your eyes. And the fact that Tesla puts a gag order on owners before they agree to fix things!? Hilarious.

Just move along little man. You don't own a Jag XF anymore so you don't belong here. I have 2 of them because they are awesome cars. If I wanted a Tesla, I'd own 2 of them. Don't see me on the Tesla forum. Troll!

I personally feel a Tesla will have fewer problems that Jaguar. I have owned 2 and both needed the RADIO replaced...I mean really?

Also, Tesla stands behind their product better than any other auto manufacturer and the customer experience is also tops. Are they perfect? of course not!

PS - the pic pf the wheel that just started shaking is funny as hell!!!!

Old 08-11-2016, 08:45 AM

Dear Troll,

Again, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that you are not so stupid that you failed to notice I have said nothing buy positive things about the beauty and driving experience of my 2011 Jaguar XF Premium. My criticism has been exclusively directed towards reliability issues and Jaguar's failure to stand by their product. Hardly a new concept.

Therefore, with my assumption that you are not that dumb, I am left with the conclusion that you are a Troll.

I honestly feel sorry for folks like yourself, whose lives are so void of purpose or enjoyment, that they are compelled to troll the internet in the desperate attempt to at least get acknowledgment from others that they are alive.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Dear Troll,

Again, I am giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming that you are not so stupid that you failed to notice I have said nothing buy positive things about the beauty and driving experience of my 2011 Jaguar XF Premium. My criticism has been exclusively directed towards reliability issues and Jaguar's failure to stand by their product. Hardly a new concept.

Therefore, with my assumption that you are not that dumb, I am left with the conclusion that you are a Troll.

I honestly feel sorry for folks like yourself, whose lives are so void of purpose or enjoyment, that they are compelled to troll the internet in the desperate attempt to at least get acknowledgment from others that they are alive.
What's not enjoyable is having you troll around here with your electric car.

Check out my DIYs to see what I contribute.

Now stop replying to me and just go away, troll!