XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Window Tinting and front license plates in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window Tinting and front license plates in NJ

Two issues here. I know there are a group of NJ guys out there, just curious if you put front license on your XF/XFSC/XFR. The dealer was going to do it, but they told me they had to drill holes in the front end to fasten the plate. I immediately stopped them. They told me it was at my own risk as I could get pulled over. I had driven for 3 years without a front plate in my lexus and never got stopped. Any thoughts?

Issue two: Tinting, I have been told tinting the driver's side windows at all is illegal in NJ. Has anyone tinted the windows, I never had in my past auto's always thought it was something to do in high school. When I was in NY I saw a black XF like mine that had tinted windows and it look sharp and thought I might try it. If anyone had it done, was it a DIY or did you take it somewhere. Thanks everyone hope everyone has a great New Year.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by drjp
Two issues here. I know there are a group of NJ guys out there, just curious if you put front license on your XF/XFSC/XFR. The dealer was going to do it, but they told me they had to drill holes in the front end to fasten the plate. I immediately stopped them. They told me it was at my own risk as I could get pulled over. I had driven for 3 years without a front plate in my lexus and never got stopped. Any thoughts?

Issue two: Tinting, I have been told tinting the driver's side windows at all is illegal in NJ. Has anyone tinted the windows, I never had in my past auto's always thought it was something to do in high school. When I was in NY I saw a black XF like mine that had tinted windows and it look sharp and thought I might try it. If anyone had it done, was it a DIY or did you take it somewhere. Thanks everyone hope everyone has a great New Year.
No one is gonna bother you for the front plate unless they have nothing better to do.. or unless they are looking for a reason to stop you. Certain municipalities come to mind, but 95% don't care. Carry it with you in the trunk and be like oh I need to put the bracket on it.

As far as tint, both of my Jaguars are tinted. BUT not that dark.

They both have 35% down the sides and 20% on the rear window. The X-Type has been like that for 4 years, and the only time it's ever been stopped for tint was Ironically when my mother who is in her early 60's was driving it.

The S-Type has been tinted for a year since I've gotten it. I've been stopped in it once, and had the window down, and all the interior lights on before he got to the car, and he didn't mention the tint.

My convertible isn't tinted because it's white and I think it would look weird with the top down and tinted windows up...

Now that NJ has only emission inspections, they wont give you a hard time either.

As long as you drive like a normal human being, and dont have 22" chome wheels and they can't follow you around town based on how loud the bass is, Jags don't really attract that much attention from the law. Too many kids with hondas that sound like weedwhackers.

Good luck, I've got a really good and reasonable tint guy if you need one.

Take care and happy new year.

George

The following users liked this post:
drjp (12-31-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
No one is gonna bother you for the front plate unless they have nothing better to do.. or unless they are looking for a reason to stop you. Certain municipalities come to mind, but 95% don't care. Carry it with you in the trunk and be like oh I need to put the bracket on it.

As far as tint, both of my Jaguars are tinted. BUT not that dark.

They both have 35% down the sides and 20% on the rear window. The X-Type has been like that for 4 years, and the only time it's ever been stopped for tint was Ironically when my mother who is in her early 60's was driving it.

The S-Type has been tinted for a year since I've gotten it. I've been stopped in it once, and had the window down, and all the interior lights on before he got to the car, and he didn't mention the tint.

My convertible isn't tinted because it's white and I think it would look weird with the top down and tinted windows up...

Now that NJ has only emission inspections, they wont give you a hard time either.

As long as you drive like a normal human being, and dont have 22" chome wheels and they can't follow you around town based on how loud the bass is, Jags don't really attract that much attention from the law. Too many kids with hondas that sound like weedwhackers.

Good luck, I've got a really good and reasonable tint guy if you need one.

Take care and happy new year.

George

George,
Thanks for the great response, i had figured as much with the license plate thing. I would really appreciate the name of the tint guy if you dont mind. Thanks again and have a great new year!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by drjp
George,
Thanks for the great response, i had figured as much with the license plate thing. I would really appreciate the name of the tint guy if you dont mind. Thanks again and have a great new year!
Where are you located? My guy is in Mercer county, in Ewing, not the best neighborhood or shop but he does really good work. Tint is computer cut with the plotter, he did my S-type if you want to see his work.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

George

Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue but I decided to put the plates on as I got pulled over twice in NJ without the front plate.
For the tinting, I think the XFR has already a nice tint so I am keeping it as is.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Did you get pulled over FOR not having the front plate, or did they mention it after you were already stopped for a violation??

If you guys want the best of both worlds, you can get this, I have the manual version on my drag car.

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/gid/003636.htm

Couple holes in the underbelly pan has to be better than holes in the bumper cover... And if you really want to mess with cops heads (I don't recommend this, but it still would be funny). Get the remote controlled one. As he pulls up from behind, and waits for the tag to come back, hit the remote.

When he says you don't have a front plate, hit him with a confident "excuse me". LOL.

Take care,

George

Old 01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by androulakis
Did you get pulled over FOR not having the front plate, or did they mention it after you were already stopped for a violation??

If you guys want the best of both worlds, you can get this, I have the manual version on my drag car.

http://www.corvetteparts.com/details/gid/003636.htm

Couple holes in the underbelly pan has to be better than holes in the bumper cover... And if you really want to mess with cops heads (I don't recommend this, but it still would be funny). Get the remote controlled one. As he pulls up from behind, and waits for the tag to come back, hit the remote.

When he says you don't have a front plate, hit him with a confident "excuse me". LOL.

Take care,

George
Just make sure you have the right plate on so it matches the back plate.