XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XF 2.0

Hello all. I'm coming out of a problematic S-type and I'm considering a 2013 XF 2.0. Just wanted to know if there are any known issues with this car and if overall the pilots of these vehicles are happy with their purchase so far??

The car I'm looking at has 25k on it. Also, do the AC vents flip on all the cars or just the cars with a certain package??

Regards,

Kuma

Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Other than being noisy and slow I can't possibly think of anything wrong with them.
================================================== ===========
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car
Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, and
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM

Hi, I just bought a 2012 XF...it is neither slow nor noisy. It is 8 cylinders and has lots of power. Just put new tires on it and it rides like a dream, and is quiet.

Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Simcoe1
Hi, I just bought a 2012 XF...it is neither slow nor noisy. It is 8 cylinders and has lots of power. Just put new tires on it and it rides like a dream, and is quiet.
Then you don't have the 4 cylinder 2 liter that they are talking about, do you?

Old 12-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Received 125 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes, all XF (x250) cars have powered vents. You can disable them so they are always open if you like in the infotainment system.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

And the vents only come on if the fan is on. Else they stay closed

Old 12-16-2016, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Originally Posted by JuKuma
Hello all. I'm coming out of a problematic S-type and I'm considering a 2013 XF 2.0. Just wanted to know if there are any known issues with this car and if overall the pilots of these vehicles are happy with their purchase so far??

The car I'm looking at has 25k on it. Also, do the AC vents flip on all the cars or just the cars with a certain package??

Regards,

Kuma
If you're in California surely the 2 litre engine is not available in the US ? Anyway, if you can tell us what is making your S-type troublesome, some advice can be given on an XF as there is much carry-through of components, like the suspension for a start.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:31 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
If you're in California surely the 2 litre engine is not available in the US ? Anyway, if you can tell us what is making your S-type troublesome, some advice can be given on an XF as there is much carry-through of components, like the suspension for a start.
California or not, since the 2013 model year a four cylinder 2 liter turbocharged gasoline engine has been available as the base engine in the XF in North America.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

Originally Posted by Swimref
California or not, since the 2013 model year a four cylinder 2 liter turbocharged gasoline engine has been available as the base engine in the XF in North America.
OK, lucky you ! My local independent shop here in the UK tell me the XF (model up to 2015) is a fine car and they have no trouble with them, so buy with confidence. I believe the petrol 2-litre is the same engine as we get in the UK if we want a petrol engine. My neighbour next door has a 2013 XF with the diesel engine. He did have an S-type a feww years ago, but traded it for a Ford Kuga !! Now he's back in a Jaguar and loving it. Basically you can't go wrong with one of these and they are very common where I live here in Cheshire. Mind you, Bentleys are common too, but the factory is up the road from here !

The suspension is essentially the same as the S-type, but the gearbox will be the later 8-speed ZF box. As for what goes wrong with these cars, have a look around the forum, but there really aren't any major issues.

FWIW, I looked at the XF but in the end bought a newer X350, actually an X358 Sovereign because I like the traditional Jaguar interior.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:09 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Own a 4 pot XF 2.0GTDi from feb 2013, already drove about 98000km, was remapped it to Eur2 with some custom tune. Also after activating Dynamic mode, always driving in Dynamic/TrackDSC/Sport mode and it's became more alive w/o turbo lug, the gearbox program in sport mode under heavy throttle works as on V6 S/C vehicles.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by JuKuma
The XF series in general is no more/less reliable than the S-type series .

Both are very reliable vehicles.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by 08292
Own a 4 pot XF 2.0GTDi from feb 2013, already drove about 98000km, was remapped it to Eur2 with some custom tune. Also after activating Dynamic mode, always driving in Dynamic/TrackDSC/Sport mode and it's became more alive w/o turbo lug, the gearbox program in sport mode under heavy throttle works as on V6 S/C vehicles.
Agreed. That is the only way to drive the 2.0 to make it liveable (from my loaner experiences). It also is the only way to drive the 3.0 S/C to make it fun.

Same principle on both, make the throttle response quicker and don't let it upshift too many gears. Hurts mileage but increases smileage (Sorry, couldn't help myself with the rhyme).

Old 12-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I fixed up a 2013 XF with the Turbo 4 and gave it to my wife to drive. She is thrilled with it, as it has all the pick up she will ever need. It certainly does not have the torque that the sixes and eights have but once the turbo kicks in there is plenty enough power to make you feel that the car is sporty. I only drive her car a few times a month so I don't mess around with the dynamic modes and have only used the paddles a few times when I was test driving it. Putting paddles on a four cylinder always kind of made me chuckle. I can also attest to the fact that it does really get in the high 20s on the highway and about 24 average around town which is a nice benefit.
Obviously, the ride is exactly the same and the handling is awesome no matter which jag you choose. So it all comes down to the type of driving you intend to do. If you are a motor head and need the neck pressure then (knowing that there is a larger engine available), the turbo 4 may not be your cup of tea but if you are just an average driver who enjoys the looks and ride of the XF then jump in because chances are you will get a better deal. The market is discounting these motors a bit and also look forward to saving a bit at the pump. So far so fun. I have just bought an XK salvage project for myself which will not go to my wife no matter how much she begs!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. I feel it's always better to go ask versus reading something in consumer reports. I feel this car will be a lot better than my S type 4.0. This car has stalled on me three or four times. Died while at speed on the highway. Gone into limp mode. windows failed, transmission failed. Gave just crazy erroneous messages from door ajar to seatbelts not being buckled when they were. All this an I never hit 40k. I've sold the car already .