XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF 5.0L burning Oil? Blue Smoke on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default XF 5.0L burning Oil? Blue Smoke on Startup

When starting the car this morning, there was a guy working on my neighbours house (installing Christmas lights etc, fixing their car, he’s a handyman) and he complimented on my Jag.

He also mentioned my car is burning oil because he noticed on my startup that there was blue/black smoke but it turned white soon after.

I didn’t verify it my self yet but I just got a fresh oil change this week. Is this normal to be burning oil? My engine is a replacement new engine and it has about 60,000 KM (37000miles) on it now.

Is this something I should be worried about ?

I had started my car from an overnight cold night (it sits outside). Reversed it out of my driveway and parked it on the road to get my garaged car out. Then an hour later I started it again and this is probably when the mechanic noticed it... read on another post that this quick on and off over a cold engine caused smoke from their cars too including a new MB.

Last edited by hen555; 12-08-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,753 Posts

It might be a one off but I would be checking the oil regularly just in case!
Do you know how to check it? It's a bit odd.

Do you have a warranty on the used engine?

Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Hopefully the engine isn't overfilled with oil.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Why was the engine replaced?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 AM

My engine was replaced soon when I got the car just over 2 years ago under jaguar certified pre-owned warranty. I had a noise coming from the under the hood and after replacing many parts the jaguar mechanic told me JLR approved me of a new engine. He said he had found low engine oil pressure...

how do do I check the oil level on this car I can’t remember ...just put the car in accessories mode and push the turn signal button to get to the screen ?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:22 AM

The process is outlined in the vehicle's Owner's Manual.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Yes please check the level and report back.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:51 PM

I had to have my engine replaced (102,000 miles) due to low oil pressure.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem, especially since there is no way to check oil pressure without special tool.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by mghirsch
I had to have my engine replaced (102,000 miles) due to low oil pressure.

I'm wondering if this is a common problem, especially since there is no way to check oil pressure without special tool.
Crazy, yours was much more miles than mine. My engine was also making a sound like this:

I havn't checked the oil level yet. Who knew how difficult it would be. You have to have the engine oil warmed up by driving it. Then you have to park in on a level surface and wait 10 minutes...then you go to accessary mode and cycle through to find the oil level.

I park it on the driveway which is sloped. I have to check now when I go to the mall or something or if I park on the road this weekend.
Cant even check the oil temperature on this thing it makes me feel like as if the cars computer indicating systems have me covered.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
Crazy, yours was much more miles than mine. My engine was also making a sound like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcsFtFGUqQM

I havn't checked the oil level yet. Who knew how difficult it would be. You have to have the engine oil warmed up by driving it. Then you have to park in on a level surface and wait 10 minutes...then you go to accessary mode and cycle through to find the oil level.

I park it on the driveway which is sloped. I have to check now when I go to the mall or something or if I park on the road this weekend.
Cant even check the oil temperature on this thing it makes me feel like as if the cars computer indicating systems have me covered.
To check the oil level without having to warm up the engine or wait ten minutes, try popping the hood/bonnet first thing in the morning (then follow the rest of the procedure).
Worked for me on both my old XFS and XFR.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

I'm sure you know this, but low oil pressure and low oil level are two very different things. Low level can lead to low oil pressure if the oil pump isn't getting enough oil. But engine wear and a host of other issues can cause low oil pressure even when there is plenty of oil in the sump
So you need to do more diagnostics than just oil level (although that's a good place to start)

Old 12-14-2018, 10:31 AM

I am wondering if there is a systemic problem with oil pressure in the 5.0.

https://www.kgglaw.com/class-action/...-class-action/

Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 PM

This thread isn’t about oil pressure but thanks for the comments. Somone just asked about why I had my engine replaced. To dig further into oil pressure issues please raise another thread.

Finally I managed to sit in my car for 10 min (I set a timer) and then accessories mode and cycled through the screen to get the oil levels. Was happy to see it show up.

Oil “Level OK” indication with full reading. Or should it be to the red bars on the right?

Any suggestions on what I should do next? I feel like I smell burning oil when I walk around the car immediately after start up. I don’t manage to catch any blue smoke when I walk to the back, I see nothing and then a few seconds later I see the exhaust white smoke come out. I’m looking into getting a used 335i GT M sport package but I don’t know I really love this car especially the v8 which is getting extinct in sedans.

Last edited by hen555; 01-24-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:34 PM

After my last post at my next oil change 6mo later we checked the quantity of oil removed and it was normal. It is now almost 4 years later and last week the mechanic found "significantly low amount of oil". I took it to the shop because I had a recent incident where I was driving, accelerated heavy on a green light and then suddenly lost engine power. Engine RPMs dropping with no response to the gas pedal. Engines dropped to a stall with flashing engine light at stall. Loss of Hydraulic Steering. Managed to restart the engine luckily as I was holding up traffic on the road. I had a recent history of incidents of loss of power while driving so I thought it was related to that and wanted to continue to trouble shoot...along with getting an oil change done.

The history on my loss of power incidents is that some months ago same thing happened on the highway I lost power and engine RPMs dropping, it was dangerous. Pumping the gas I managed to get connection back to the engine and drove back without coming to a stop. This happened couple times. Took it to the shop where codes pulled up we replaced the Fuel Pump Driver Module and Low Pressure Sensor:

C2C35672 - MODULE-FUEL PUMP MOD - $390.99 CAD
C2Z13933 - SENSOR-PRESSURE SEN - $195.99 CAD
NOTE: There was a part shortage with TBD for ECD delivery… had to wait couple months.

This was replaced a couple months ago and last week the same thing happened with loss of power on the street roads. So I was unsure if we fixed the issue. When I took it to the mechanic last week they said there were no related codes and during oil change they found significant low amount of oil which could be the reason. They did not find any oil leak anywhere. They told me to monitor the oil levels regularly so we can confirm, they double checked they put the right amount of oil this time.

Some things to mention is that I used to change my oil every 6 months, this time I waited longer due to low utilization from pandemic + work from home. My last oil change was 10,000km (6200 miles)/10mo ago. Also every morning I get a burning oil smell from the exhaust. With regards to the my car losing power, in all cases I did notice that I was driving with low fuel (almost hitting the red bar or just hitting the bar with a "low fuel warning"). I am also noticing that my fuel gauge fluctuates almost 1/8th high and low while driving. sometimes the fuel gage goes up 1/8th.

Very sad that my Jag is likely burning oil as I maintained her well. If she is burning oil, what are your recommendations?
- do I continue to drive her and just "top her up" with oil
- do I consider that she is dying and start looking for a new car
- or is there some stuff I can put in the engine oil tank to soften the seals etc?
- the JLR dealership says they do not rebuild engines and I would have to replace it. Should I get it rebuild somewhere else or is that too risky / expensive?

Any recommendations appreciated as I continue to monitor this issue.

Old 12-17-2022, 06:33 PM

Are there any DTCs stored or pending?

Is the burning smell caused by a leak from one of the cam cover gaskets allowing oil onto the exhaust manifold? Or is the smell from the exhaust itself at the back of the vehicle?

It is possible that the piston rings are clogged with carbon buildup and may be causing poor oil control in some cylinders, thus the oil consumption. What was the condition of the oil removed from the engine during the last oil change? Was there any fuel present in the oil?

During the loss of power event, what is the fuel pressure? You can use a smart phone and the Torque app to monitor vehicle functions in real time through the OBD port with a Bluetooth interface.

Old 12-18-2022, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

Do you check the oil level? Why did the mechanic find this and how low was it? Actual numbers?
Hopefully no engine damage and yes do stay on top of it. These engines are not known oil burners but any engine can consume oil too.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:41 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
When starting the car this morning, there was a guy working on my neighbours house (installing Christmas lights etc, fixing their car, he’s a handyman) and he complimented on my Jag.

He also mentioned my car is burning oil because he noticed on my startup that there was blue/black smoke
Mine did this, swapped the pcv diagrams (Amazon) and does it no more.

Old 12-26-2023, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kansanbrit
Mine did this, swapped the pcv diagrams (Amazon) and does it no more.
What parts did you replace? I just bought a used XF 2012 5.0l a few days ago. Im getting the smoke on cold start which I didn't notice when I bought it. Engine runs song, but have the smoke on cold start. Hoping I didn't buy a lemon. 😭

Old 12-26-2023, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

He meant the PVC Diaphragms! Just a small miss-spelling!
He replaced these. Not real hard (But awkward because of where they are located) and cheap to do so really no downside to just replacing them in any event.

Can you DIY the repair?
It is documented on this forum and the instructions can be found with a simple search?

Old 12-27-2023, 08:08 AM
Received 193 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
He meant the PVC Diaphragms! Just a small miss-spelling!
Yes sorry, Diaphragms, damn spell checker! 5 minute job on a normally aspirated engine. Break off the covers and put them back together with the engine running, that way the spring is sucked down.

GXARTS One Pair PCV Valve Cover...

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by kansanbrit; 12-27-2023 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: XF 5.0L burning Oil? Blue Smoke on Startup