XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF or BMW

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XF or BMW

Hi,
I asked this in the New Member section already. I am very close to order an 2012 XF. Any input would be welcome. I am deciding between the XF the BMW 550i and the Audi A6. The Audi is hardly anywhere to be found, the BMW is a nice enough car but it seems like the XF just has more style and performs very well. I am thinking of sticking with the regular engine, I was never really a fan of supercharged engines.
I would imagine that some of you face the same decision and went with the XF. Any regrets?

Hans

Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was in exactly the same position. Same cars. Audi, nice but a bit lame design. BMW is nicer, I love the new model but the 550 has turbo which are a prone to fail. So a NA Jaguar that look way better than both put together was an easy choice. O did I mention you donīt see Jags every other block either.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a 2006 BMW 550i that I drove for four years before getting my XFR. All I am going to say is that, while the BMW was a very good and competent car, it left me with absolutely no emotional connection whatsoever. My XFR is something that has really captured my imagination. I am so passionate about the car, and will probably be a Jaguar owner for life provided that they keep moving in this avant-garde direction.

Read the reviews because everybody says that nobody does supercharged engines better than Jaguar. You have nothing to worry about with respect to reliability. Even if you get the naturally aspirated version, the NA 2012 XF is much better than in previous years.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I am a huge BMW fan myself, but i have to agree with everything the guys said above. One thing that disappoints me about BMW is the interior in their cars - just not enough luxury and too much sport.

This line "Jaguar XF can do exactly what 550i and E550 Benz do, without being so serious" never escapes me. And, i can attest to the statement from test driving/comparing the three.

Jaguar offers exclusivity and the luxury that no other car offers in the similar markets. I am actually in the process of getting into a XF myself.

Anyways, good luck with you decision making and keep us posted.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,783 Likes on 7,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Rique
O did I mention you donīt see Jags every other block either.

FWIW, that would certainly play a role in my decision.

I like BMWs but frankly they're just as commonplace as a Honda or Toyota or Chevy pick-up...even here in po-dunk Longview, Washington. Definitely a good choice for a person wanting to blend in.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Not sure what you are looking for overall in your car, but I have test driven the BMW 550i, and ix, the Audi A6 and the 2011 Jag SC, and 2012 non SC.

I am looking for a car that has design, handling, power, and luxury equivalent to the price. Here is my take on the cars.

BMW 550. Test drive both i and ix.
Design: Overall liked the exterior and interior. Nice details on exterior and interior. Not as sumptuous as the Jag, but better than the Audi by far.
Handling.
Prefered ix due to hydraulic steering, better feel than EPS. Ability to adjust the cars throttle response, chassis stiffness and steering feel if you get the dynamic handling package. Currently a $2500 option. Would not get the car without it.
Power: no concerns. Turbo lag not evident. Car is quite as in no exhaust note as in Jag (maybe preferable to some).
Luxury: Interior is nicely appointed. Better than past BMW's by far.
Worst aspect: Run flat tires, reported first year problems with certain aspect of car. Supposedly sorted out, but maybe not all.
Best aspects: Proximity of dealers, BMW dealers typically high service, typically good resale value, and lease deals.

Audi A6:

Design: Best of A6's to date. Side profile not too exciting. Front, not as obnoxious as past Audi's. Overall acceptable, but not thrilling. Interior: Bit disjointed. A lot of plastic, and seats not comfortable. No leather on side door panels. Still not sure about the pop up nav.

Handling: All levels including the base get the ability to adjust throttle, steering, and suspension. Would opt for the 19 inch or 20 inch wheels to get the sport suspension.
Adjustments to steering, throttle, etc. can be independent of each other similar to BMW. Car is lighter and feels more limber than BMW or Jag. All wheel drive, good for winter, but still need winter tires if you get sport package.

Power: Decent at 300 hp. No lag as Audi uses a super charger. Not a monster, but quick enough as handling is good.

Luxury: A lot of plastic, and seats not comfortable. No leather on side door panels. Still not sure about the pop up nav. Headliner is cloth. Not very luxurious for $55-65k.

Best aspect: Price and handling.
Worst aspect: No thrills, and substandard interior. Audi dealers not as accomodating as BMW.

Jag:

Design: 2012 is striking due to change in headlights. A looker inside and out. Interior is elegant without being overdone. Leather stitched everything. Suede headliner is quite nice. More luxury than sport.

Handling: Supercharged as the sport suspension with ability to adjust throttle, steering, suspension. Unlike BMW and Audi, can not adjust them indepentanly of each other. So if you want stilffer suspension, you get higher gas consumption also. Overall very good handling, steering feel (Better than BMW).

Power: SC has it. BMW is slightly quicker in AWD, but not enough to quibble over. BMW can lay it down with AWD, better than JAG, but may not be a factor overall. SC has V8 growl.

Luxury: Best of the bunch, with interior materials. Nav system not so much, but BMW's has issues.

Other pionts are Technology: I like BMW's idrive the Best, although Audi had some nice features. This was not a primary consideration, but maybe for others.

Depreciation: Jag is the worst. BMW likely the best.

Anyone of them can satisfy depending on what you are looking for. Happy shopping.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-11-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: added "not" to Jag handling with regard to adjustments
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you already have a lot of feedback. For wha it is worth I am actually more a BMW person per se than a Jag. HOWEVER, I just purchased my first jag XFR and really enjoy the raw power and excitment that the car brings. I have owned M5s and was seriously considering the 550 with the Dinan packages, but I must admit as of right now I have no hesitation admitting the Jag was the right car for me.

As for reccoemendations..unless you are wed to the updated nav screen or the new lights, I would reccomend buying a 2011. You can get an 2011 XFR in the mid to high 60's. Way better value than the 550. Only my opinon.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree you can get an XFR used, certified preowned with the added warranty, and absolutely no comparison with the Audi or BMW for a great deal. I was looking at the same cars and got a 2010 XFR. Could not be happier.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
Thanks everybody for the feedback it is very helpful and confirms that the XF is the right choice. I like a sporty but at the same luxurious car that handles well when on curvy roads that we have a lot of around here. It osunds that reliability is not an issue. Depreciation is known to be bad but I tend to drive my cars for a while, so that is not a big concern. I will probably put in my order sometime this week and get one built.

Hans

The following users liked this post:
macc24 (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Please note my comments were related to supercharged model for power and handling.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hooray for Hans!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Enjoy, Hans. I had the exact same lineup on the consideration list with the addition of an M5. My family are huge BMW people too, so they hit me pretty hard on why i would deviate from the german engineering. However, as I told them i wanted a car with a fun personality not just a the sterile, all business personality. I always thought I would go for the M5 or a 550 when i was financially ready to do it but I am so happy with the XF Supercharged that as long as it does not prove to be a reliability nightmare I may be in for a XFR after I'm done with this car. Til then I'm loving that my car stands out from the ubiqutous Bimmers and Audis in the Chicago burbs. Hope you enjoy yours as much

Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Hans Wolters
Hi,
I asked this in the New Member section already. I am very close to order an 2012 XF. Any input would be welcome. I am deciding between the XF the BMW 550i and the Audi A6. The Audi is hardly anywhere to be found, the BMW is a nice enough car but it seems like the XF just has more style and performs very well. I am thinking of sticking with the regular engine, I was never really a fan of supercharged engines.
I would imagine that some of you face the same decision and went with the XF. Any regrets?

Hans

I have owned a e36 M3, e36 M Roadster, e39 540i amongst other bimmers, this XF SC is by far the better car in all respects. I to was not a fan of forced induction until I bought this XF SC, I now am a believer in factory supercharged vehicles, still would not install an aftermarket supercharger without modifying the motor first.