XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 PM
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Thumbs down XF fuel mileage

i have almost 1,000 miles on my 2012 Portfolio now and just filled it up. survey says.......13.3 mpg

granted, it was 100% city driving. and no, i was not playing speed racer all around town, it was pretty middle of the road as far as accelerating goes.

love the car but still, 13.3 is terrible.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar issue when I first got my car. Did see improvements as the car broke in. I now get up to 22 mpg on a 45 mile commute (mostly highway miles). Around town, it's much less, but in general I've been desensitized to the lower mpg...purchased a supercharged 5.0 liter 8 cylinder car - comes with the territory.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

V8 5.0 and almost 2 tons of weight ...what did you expect?

Old 02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Yea, that's not too far off. Using air? On the road, I get 26+ mpg which I consider very good.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Normal for 100% city driving, especially in or near LA. Also, especially for a new engine. 1000 miles isn't even broken in yet. You will see improvements of 10 - 20% as the miles accumulate. These engines take at least 10,000 miles of operation before they are even close to fully run in. I experienced improvement in fuel consumption right through 20,000 miles (30,000 km) and you will also.

That's just under 18 l/ 100 Km in Canadian, well within normal.

Also, how did you calculate that fuel consumption?

I'd be more concerned about checking for oil consumption during the first 2,000 miles but, you don't have a dipstick on your engine so have to rely on the computer display.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I average about 19 and most of is stop and go - NA 5 liter.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

You bought the wrong vehicle my number crunching friend....

Trending Topics

Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Not necessarily!
He should be averaging 16mpg, worse scenario. Nothing wrong with questioning the situation.

With the 1000 miles on it, it should still be higher than 13.3. The motors in the XFs are excellent and very efficient. If not hard on the gas pedal, these cars can yield great numbers in city traffic.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a 2009 XF SC with 32,XXX and I avg 15.6 miles. But what I found strange was I took my car in for service and they gave me a 2012 XF SC for a loaner and it had 13,000 miles on it. When I looked at the avg mile per gallon it read 25.4 So when I got my car back I questioned them cause I have a 4.2 SC and the loaner had 5.0 SC but was getting way better gas mileage. They said the 5.0 was better on gas, I was shocked. So yes, your numbers are def not up to par.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Executive
Not necessarily!
He should be averaging 16mpg, worse scenario. Nothing wrong with questioning the situation.

With the 1000 miles on it, it should still be higher than 13.3. The motors in the XFs are excellent and very efficient. If not hard on the gas pedal, these cars can yield great numbers in city traffic.
I'd say it really depends on the driving style. I used to have a Subaru Forester Turbo with the steering wheel on the right side (Got it from Japan) and I easily could get 6.7 mpg when I was driving like a maniac. And it was just a 1400kg and 2.0T H4 car...

And I agree with you...the Jag's 5.0 V8 is just magnificent!

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 02-23-2013 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Executive (02-23-2013)
Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 PM

thanks for everyone's interesting takes on the situation.

Nardoswiss; i expected 16 which is almost 20% better

hlgeorge; "using air"? i don't understand

jagular; i calculated fuel consumption by dividing the number of miles i drove since the last fill up by the number of gallons i put in on THIS fill up

immortal; i'm with the other guys that responded after you. i'm happy i bought the car and i knew the mileage would be poor no matter what, but i don't think its unreasonable to expect the 16 mpg they advertise for city driving. yeah, as i've seen others note in this forum "you have to pay to play..." but seriously, 13? and that was at $4.55/gallon...still happy, but just sayin'....

Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by chXFS
I have a 2009 XF SC with 32,XXX and I avg 15.6 miles. But what I found strange was I took my car in for service and they gave me a 2012 XF SC for a loaner and it had 13,000 miles on it. When I looked at the avg mile per gallon it read 25.4 So when I got my car back I questioned them cause I have a 4.2 SC and the loaner had 5.0 SC but was getting way better gas mileage. They said the 5.0 was better on gas, I was shocked. So yes, your numbers are def not up to par.
The 5.0 engines, use direct injection, spray guided fuel system. The main reason, they are so efficient.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
thanks for everyone's interesting takes on the situation.

Nardoswiss; i expected 16 which is almost 20% better

hlgeorge; "using air"? i don't understand

jagular; i calculated fuel consumption by dividing the number of miles i drove since the last fill up by the number of gallons i put in on THIS fill up

immortal; i'm with the other guys that responded after you. i'm happy i bought the car and i knew the mileage would be poor no matter what, but i don't think its unreasonable to expect the 16 mpg they advertise for city driving. yeah, as i've seen others note in this forum "you have to pay to play..." but seriously, 13? and that was at $4.55/gallon...still happy, but just sayin'....
The method you used is notoriously inaccurate unless you calculate over several tankfuls. Even a half gallon shortfill can increase your apparent fuel consumption by a lot. Although the tank is 17 gallons you only ever put in 15 or so. Your actual fuel economy could be over 14 mpg, for example.

This is far too early to be concerned. This is the second time you filled up, assuming your dealer delivered the car with a full tank of fuel.

The 5.0 is more "fuel efficient" than the 4.2 by but the car isn't. The new engine gets more power out of the same amount of fuel but burns more fuel because it is almost 20% bigger in displacement. The car weighs the same with either engine. The bigger engine isn't a magic box, it still takes exactly the same amount of fuel to move the car. If the DI engine were to be 4.2 liters then fuel consumption would be better than the old 4.2 because DI can run higher compression and more ignition advance, getting more out of each drop of fuel. The larger displacement mostly offsets these advantages due to higher pumping losses and the tendency of the driver to make use of the extra power! This is why Jaguar is no longer offering this engine in normally aspirated form, switching to smaller supercharged four and six cylinder small displacement engines.

"Using air" means having the air conditioning running which is automatically on unless you actively switch it off every time you drive. AC uses more fuel in city driving than you might by not using it. However, at highwy speeds the AC is a more fuel efficient way to cool the car than opening a window.

Finally, if your car is still burning fuel like that after 5,000 miles then see your dealer.

Just by the by, how's your tire pressure. The TPMS does not warn you if your tire pressures are low until they are really low? Even a couple of psi low eats gas.

Last edited by jagular; 08-24-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2013 XF 3.0 not the V8 but V6 supercharged - have a little under a 1,000 miles on it and mixed driving averaging about 22mpg .. though stated "28mpg" combined.. i hope to see 24-25mpg after the break ..
but nonetheless still happy...i drove the 2.0 tubro.. wow.. its so sad how underpowered it is.. and was told real world difference in mpg is about 2-3 more mpg

Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
The method you used is notoriously inaccurate unless you calculate over several tankfuls. Even a half gallon shortfill can increase your apparent fuel consumption by a lot. Although the tin is 17 gallons you only ever put in 15 or so. Your actual fuel economy could be over 14 mpg, for example.

This is far too early to be concerned. This is the second time you filled up, assuming your dealer delivered the car with a full tank of fuel.

The 5.0 is more "fuel efficient" than the 4.2 by but the car isn't. The new engine gets more power out of the same amount of fuel but burns more fuel because it is almost 20% bigger in displacement. The car weighs the same with either engine. The bigger engine isn't a magic box, it still takes exactly the same amount of fuel to move the car. If the DI engine were to be 4.2 liters then fuel consumption would be better than the old 4.2 because DI can run higher compression and more ignition advance, getting more out of each drop of fuel. The larger displacement mostly offsets these advantages due to higher pumping losses and the tendency of the driver to make use of the extra power! This is why Jaguar is no longer offering this engine in normally aspirated form, switching to smaller supercharged four and six cylinder small displacement engines.

"Using air" means having the air conditioning running which is automatically on unless you actively switch it off every time you drive. AC uses more fuel in city driving than you might by not using it. However, at highwy speeds the AC is a more fuel efficient way to cool the car than opening a window.

Finally, if your car is still burning fuel like that after 5,000 miles then see your dealer.

Just by the by, how's your tire pressure. The TPMS does not warn you if your tire pressures are low until they are really low? Even a couple of psi low eats gas.
i guess it didn't occur to me that "using air" referred to AC, as its winter, even here in southern california (which means an arctic chill of 65 degrees today). i've used the heater, but i don't think i've turned on the AC since i bought it 6 weeks ago.

the tire pressure was the one thing i checked after fillup and they weren't low. hopefully the mpg improves over time.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is a supercharged I drive it with DSC OFF in S on the transmission and dynamic mode 99% of the time. I get 13.6 mpg almost every single tank. On trips Denver-Phoenix. Phoenix - Vegas I get 22-24 mpg.

My first two tanks of gas I got 18 mpg but it was no fun and I decided that I am going to drive the car the way I bought it to be driven and not care about gas mileage. If gas mileage is your thing go trade your V8 Jag on a hybrid Camry or Prius perhaps a Diesel Jetta.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure you check those tire pressures when the tires are still cold. If you check them after driving even for ten minutes you won't get a correct reading.

The AC will operate down to about 42F in the right circumstances but if your ambient is around 65F then your AC is not the problem. Your tire pressures still could be. However, I'd average four or five full tanks of fuel before I started to think fuel consumption is a problem.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get about 18 mpg in my 2012 5.0 V8. I'm about 50/50 highway/city.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM

latest tank up to 14.6 mpg (some freeway this time). progress...

Old 03-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
latest tank up to 14.6 mpg (some freeway this time). progress...
I wouldn't worry too much about what you get in the city. There is a big difference between driving around Manhattan versus Augusta, ME and everywhere in between. The true test is on the highway. Check your mileage on your next highway trip and see what you get. If you are having problems with low fuel mileage on the highway, then I would worry. Around town, I don't even pay attention to what I get. FWIW, I average 25-26 mpg on the highway in my 5.0 premium.

Quick Reply: XF fuel mileage