XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

All very well Per from Norway but we North Americans have much higher standards than Europeans. You need to own a Ford or a Chevy to really appreciate how quickly we North Americans get fed up with unreliable vehicles poorly serviced. At least, so I am told by my friends dumb enough to buy one. I have driven European or Japanese cars for 40 years and wouldn't touch a " domestic" product for love or money. BTW you have been exceptionally fortunate with your Chrysler as they are the worst manufacturer in the first world, as FIAT is now discovering. But then all Chrysler minivans are made in Canada, my adopted country, and we know how to build things correctly. Still, you must have bought what we call a Monday car, built before the workers got tired. We say the Friday afternoon builds are the worst.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
All very well Per from Norway but we North Americans have much higher standards than Europeans. You need to own a Ford or a Chevy to really appreciate how quickly we North Americans get fed up with unreliable vehicles poorly serviced. At least, so I am told by my friends dumb enough to buy one. I have driven European or Japanese cars for 40 years and wouldn't touch a " domestic" product for love or money. BTW you have been exceptionally fortunate with your Chrysler as they are the worst manufacturer in the first world, as FIAT is now discovering. But then all Chrysler minivans are made in Canada, my adopted country, and we know how to build things correctly. Still, you must have bought what we call a Monday car, built before the workers got tired. We say the Friday afternoon builds are the worst.
I believe the minivans sold in Europe '96 -2004 (and maybe afterwards as well) were made in Belgium. But good workhorses for us anyhow. As a curiosum my '75 XJ12C recently wrecked it's engine, courtecy of the German produced Bosch injectors. Although an original low miler it has been reliable bar a couple of age related issues. So Jag could make good cars in the 70'ies too, although it got steadily worse until '80 when John Egan started the drive for improved quality.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Yes, but what are they reporting? For example is failure to open the glovebox properly reported as an electrical problem?
Which is really a great one: I have heard and seen a number of owners complaining about this. But if they did as the manual said and pointed straight at the button they would have found that it opened every time
It is of course a pointer to the lack of knowledge at the dealerships too: Sales people and workshop people alike have skippet reading the manual as well. Ye gods!

Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

How does this explain the J D Power rating which contradicts CR 's findings? Has anyone here ever reported to CR?
As I've mentioned several times on this forum, JD Power has NEVER included the XF in their reliability rankings.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by XFFan
On the subject of resale value, personally it does not affect me. I used to own a BMW and Merc when I bought it I was told they have good resale value. When I came to selling it, they will always find an excuse to knock down the price. I got jack for them. It was a thought I always had in mind but if you think about it. Jaguar is supposed to be a luxury brand and the reason you buy it is mainly to do with design, style and branding. A car is not an investment. It is for pleasure. Think of it as a service. If you get pleasure from it that is what you are really paying for. Therefore I expect to lose money but it should be money well spent. I am sure most of us can here can afford it And we have already taken the decision to buy one with these factors in mind.

In terms of reliabilty I will give an update of my experience after 3 years But right now I am enjoying every experience of driving it and all the attention I am getting.
Yesterday, when I went back to the car I saw a few people standing over it and admiring it. And we got chatting and they mentioned how much they like the design and look and exactly why we would pay for enjoying the experience....

BTW this is what I found on reliability:

keep in mind, the XF wasn't part of this survey. It will be very interesting to see if Jag maintains their high ranking next year. I hope so, but have my doubts.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 PM

BTW you have been exceptionally fortunate with your Chrysler as they are the worst manufacturer in the first world, as FIAT is now discovering. But then all Chrysler minivans are made in Canada, my adopted country, and we know how to build things correctly. Still, you must have bought what we call a Monday car, built before the workers got tired. We say the Friday afternoon builds are the worst.
Ha, both of my Chrysler's (99 300M and 05 300C) must have been Monday cars then since both spent less time in the shop than my Jag over longer periods of ownership.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of J.D. Power, I just received one of their surveys in the mail today on my new XF SC.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The fact the JD Powers did not consider the XF may actually result in even higher positive numbers once they do since the XF is more reliable than the XJ.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by RIQUE
The fact the JD Powers did not consider the XF may actually result in even higher positive numbers once they do since the XF is more reliable than the XJ.
Fair point. We'll see next year.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Also, the XF is "just" a bigger S Type and built in the same factory by the same people using many of the same parts. The end of run S Types were well made cars with few faults. Those will be in those J D Power numbers.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
Default 2012 JD Power

The 2012 JD Power Dependability Study is out and in what might be a shock to some of you, Jaguar fell precipitously from their 3rd place finish in 2011. Only the Chrysler brand fared worse. Perhaps you can chalk it up to new model growing pains of the XF.

Attached Thumbnails XF reliability-2012-jd-power.jpg  
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No consolation but Land Rover isn't even listed. In a league of its own I guess. This news sucks.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Just adding a data point to the conversation.

During a routine service, I asked my adviser how he sees the reliability of the XF. He said it's pretty, but they are having a lot of issues with the new XJ.

So that's bad news because I like the XJ, but good news because I have the XF.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM

Jag was one of only 6 (out of 32) brands to actually get a lower score in 2012 than 2011.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the 2012 results if anyone is wondering.

XF reliability-qgkm9.jpg

Old 08-26-2014, 03:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues

Hi all, thought if share some issues I have had with my Jag. Unlike a couple of the cars mentioned mine is slightly newer although I'm sad to say that some of the common faults mentioned are still occurring. I opted for the XF 2.2 diesel over the eclass and 5 series and for a while I really thought I had made the right choice. It's a 62 plate (bought brand new) and over the last 18 months I reckon the car has been in the dealer ship around 10 times. The faults are as follows: 1st 'restricted performance', to be fair Jag assistance were great and the fault turned out to be a faulty hose connection on the supercharger. 2nd and the most annoying issue I have ever experienced in my life. A squeaky drivers seat, imagine the sheer frustration when every time you move, break, accelerate or simply lift a leg the seat squeaks. Initially the usual dealer response was given 'we can't seem to find the fault' however after about 3 visits they agreed there was an issue so Jag agreed to change the seat base - all better I hear you say? No the fault returned after 800 miles a few visits later it was apparent the dealer couldn't fix the issue and the only way to stop it was to make a seat pad that sat over the metal frame, thankfully this has worked. In order get this all sorted I had to contact Jaguar directly and an incident raised against it. It has been a good few months since the last issue but I was prompted to write this as only today my car shut down twice on the school run, simply no power and the engine switched off (no warning lights or anything) so once again I get to feel like the proverbial pest and call the dealer. Although I love the shape of this car and it does turn heads I couldn't recommend it, too many issues meaning too many trips to the dealer, time off work etc etc and no compensation ( even a token gesture from Jag ) is very very disappointing. I will be changing my car next year and it won't be replaced by a Jag

Old 08-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 2010 XFR....33000 MILES, NOT ONE SINGLE ISSUE. They did have a recall on the water pumps so had it replaced under warranty, but she is a dream !

Old 08-31-2014, 02:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

How did you open an incident for the squeaky seat" Mine has squeaked since I owned it. At first I got the can't be recreated excuse. So I showed them how to do it. They lubed and relubed it and still it squeaks, especially when it is cold.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know how much of these results are attributable to the dealer. I had rattle/noise issues with my sunroof and it took endless visits to get it right. It seemed each time they'd fix a problem, they caused another.

A common problem that the dealer visits introduced, several times, was the seat belts binding in their retractors. They would work fine when the car was dropped off. The sunroof would come back fine (at least at first), but the seat belts would bind, due to improper reassembly of the trim pieces. I'd figure this out upon taking delivery of the serviced vehicle, so obviously the techs didn't bother to check the seatbelt operation after re-assembling the car after working on the roof.

Then in a few days, I would take a turn with moderate g-loading and hear a screw or some other fastener roll around in the headliner. They'd remove the screw, and then not fasten the roof cassette properly again, and the roof rattle would return, requiring another visit. You guessed it. The very next time, the seatbelt retractors would bind again and they'd have to take the trim apart and get it right while I had to wait on them.

I would have given up and demanded they take the car back had the rest of the car not been as great to drive as it is, and the fact that Jaguar had discontinued my car's color (Kyanite Blue; exceptionally pretty and found on no other car that I've seen).

Old 06-26-2016, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great comments guys - so thanks. I'm contemplating buying he 3.0 litre diesel XF MY12 here in Australia. I hate unreliable cars but there are certain things I'm willing to live with so long as I can find some workaround and they are not life threatening. I'm looking on he local carsales website here and hope to do a test drive soon of a 2nd hand unit. Was recently in the UK so I know what a 62 plate is LOL - my mate from Cambridge explained to me whilst I was there! Anyway - will let you know how they go - I've always admired Jags and I'd buy an Aston Martin if I could afford it - but a Jag is currently reachable for me. Cheers!

Quick Reply: XF reliability