XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF test drive...first time driving a Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XF test drive...first time driving a Jag!

Decided to take a test drive of an XF Premium today to see how it compares to the E-class and other cars that I am trying to decide on for my next car. I have eliminated BMW 5 series due to some issues I noted during my test drive and that I liked the MB E550 better. I still have yet to test drive the Audi S4, as the dealers get few of them and can't seem to keep them on the lots for very long...

First, the XF is by far the best looking car in the running, both inside and out. Just gorgeous. The new E looks sharp, well cut, but its not pretty. The XF is a knockout. The interior is elegant and I think the best of any car under 100K (with possible exception of the XJ). The E's interior is a touch disappointing in places and a bit too function over form and square.

Power wise, the XF seemed to be on par with the E550 I test drove. Both have oodles. Both felt effortless and was suprised at how quickly the speed built up. Sound and engine noise were good with both...muted, but not so much that you felt too isolated (like in a Lexus).

Both cars felt very solid, and heavy, but at the same time, agile. I took the XF around a tight clover leaf off ramp at 50 mph and the car could have taken more, but I was chicken. The salesman laughed, and said if I had turned on dynamic mode, I could have taken it much much higher speed.

The XF felt a bit more....fun....the E felt more stately. Ironic, and maybe psychological, but the E felt very German - we have a mission here, and we are going to take you from point A to point B very fast very safely and very comfortably - or else! The XF felt a bit more exciting, like it could do more if you asked it (and if I had pushed dynamic mode, it likely would have), and it wanted you not only to get from A to B, but hey, have some fun doing it and doing it beautifully and in style. The XF just seemed more fun to drive...

I know some reviews have complained that the touch screen is slow. I didn't note that. The navigation system is pretty basic, and with a big negative in not having real time traffic info. Other than that, I found the XF's interface very nice and easy to use, and I liked the modern look of it. The E's COMMAND system took a bit of practice, but once one got the hang of it, was fine. The screen has this graphic of what looks like an old style radio dial. I kind of liked the retro quality of it, but still a bit odd. The screen was also very small. Radio wise, both have great systems. I didn't really have a chance to do a decent comparison. The seats in both cars were excellent, but the massage function in the E gives it a slight edge (I have back problems).

The two big negatives for me are lack of real time traffic information on the navigation (still a puzzle - every other car with navigation seems to have it, why not Jaguar?) and lack of AWD (I live in Wisconsin). On the positive, the cost of the XF is about 10K less than the E550 with similar options. For that much money, I could buy excellent snow tires or use the wife's SUV, and as for traffic, I could check traffic on the internet via my smart phone...The Jag also comes with the Platinum Coverage, which helps my fears regarding reliability issues a tad (although Mercedes has had reliability issues recently as well, if you believe the press).

I am leaning towards the XF. Too pretty and too much fun...

The big question may be if to act now or wait for the 2012 models, which have some nicer, newer features. Does anyone know if the prices will be higher on the 2012 XF's? Is there any other reason to buy now rather than wait for 2012 models to arrive?

The following users liked this post:
Need4Spd (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for the XF! My friends were hellbent on getting an E350Bluetech,until I got them to drive an XF Premium. Needless to say they fell in love. Amazing car, beaufiful and so nice to drive.

You won't be disappointed even compared to an E550, which I believe is a lot more expensive (comparable to XF Supercharged, which has 470bhp) - 2011 XF Premium can be had for under $52,000 (my friends got an offer of $51,500, which I think is just excellent).

Mercedes is solid, no doubt about it...but the XF is just so gorgeous and fun and involving to drive. How often do you get a chance to have a relationship with your vehicle?

Hope you get a Jag and enjoy yourself!

Kilgore Trout (05-29-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I've always found Mercedes sedans too cold, with too much body roll. Yet, when tuned to handle well (AMG), they ride a bit hard. That of course is an over-generalization, but my subjective impressions from a number of drives of several different cars.

BMWs always seemed ideal to me, with great handling and comfortable ride. I've been a BMW fan for ages, having had an e36 M3, an e46 M3, and an e39 M5. I drove the e60 M5 a bit, but didn't really like it much. How much did I like my e39 M5, however? Enough to have owned it for >10 years and over 110k miles.

That said, I'm really a fan of my XFR, which recently replaced by beloved M5. The XFR's combination of power, comfort, luxury, handling and good looks are unbeatable among the current crop of its competitors. In terms of luxury and style, the Audi, BMW and Mercedes seem bland. There is a new M5 due later this year (est. to be priced at over $100k), but against the e60, the XFR is about as fast, but more comfortable, and at the same time, less money, along with 5yrs./50k miles warranty and maintenance. No one really buys these cars for fuel economy but the XFR manages to avoid the gas guzzler tax, while the last generation (e60) M5 did not.

I think you will really like having an XFR.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In regards to your concerns about AWD. I can say honestly I drove my '11 XFSC this past winter with snow tires in winter mode and it was better than my wifes SUV with all season tires and AWD. If you get good snows the Jag is excellent in the snow, I think because of the weight and the massive breaks it just cuts through the snow. I also looked at MB E class and felt the same way you did, love the comment about how it felt German. I also tried the S5 but they dont budge at all on pricing. Overall I absolutely love my car (except for the Nav, like you said the lack of real time traffic interface is disappointing) you cant go wrong with the Jag. I would wait to see how the 12s look.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Need4Spd....I WANT YOUR CAR!!

Old 05-29-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
Thanks. I'm sure your local Jaguar dealer will sell you an identical one! Although maybe not with this "special option."

Old 05-29-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by VetteOwner
I concur! I would love an XFR, but it would be a touch out of my price range. While saying that one does not need more power is a bit silly, I would say that the XF I drove had plenty.

I think the main draw for me with the XFR would be to try out the R Performance Academy!

They did have a 2011 XF Premium with 9500 miles for about 8K less than new...tempting....

Old 05-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
They did have a 2011 XF Premium with 9500 miles for about 8K less than new...tempting....
as in $49,000? Honestly, it's a lot more than you should pay.
I mean if a new 2011 XF Premium with ZERO miles can be pretty easily had for $51,500, a used one with almost 10K miles should be $45,000 out-the-door (tax, title, license, all the fees) or even less. Especially considering that a new one is gonna be out in a few months.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Saahov
as in $49,000? Honestly, it's a lot more than you should pay.
I mean if a new 2011 XF Premium with ZERO miles can be pretty easily had for $51,500, a used one with almost 10K miles should be $45,000 out-the-door (tax, title, license, all the fees) or even less. Especially considering that a new one is gonna be out in a few months.
Good point....althought thats what they advertise for it...what they will actually take for it is always a different matter. It does seem like this dealership, which is the closer of the two dealers in the city, has MSRP prices across the entire inventory that are 3-4000K more than the other dealership. I don't know what the story is there, although in my past purchasing of cars, I have noticed some dealerships up their MSRP and then you can haggle them down. Others have more reasonable MSRPs, but then won't budge as much on price. I have not gotten to the point of haggling with them, so I don't know if they will yield alot on price.

Also, they are offering 0% APR for up to 60 months right now. Does make getting a new 2011 one a bit more appealing...

Old 05-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Passenger eject ? LOL
Sounds very cool

Old 05-30-2011, 07:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same delimma with a similar result, you'll enjoy the Jag, although I'd be tempted to wait for the 2012..better nav/infotainment screen plus all of the fixes and upgrades.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by chairman25
I had the same delimma with a similar result, you'll enjoy the Jag, although I'd be tempted to wait for the 2012..better nav/infotainment screen plus all of the fixes and upgrades.
True, but on the flip side, sometimes the new systems will have bugs that need worked out.

I think it will boil down to if I can get a good deal or not on the 2011s. If not, will wait for 2012...

Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Regarding the 012, I am not impressed with what they did to the back end of the car! ( at least in pictures): very bland , just a change for the sake of changing something. The current back of our cars is the most beautiful and elegant design out there .Here we go again - make it look plain, so maybe we can sell more....

Old 05-31-2011, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by yidal8
Regarding the 012, I am not impressed with what they did to the back end of the car! ( at least in pictures): very bland , just a change for the sake of changing something. The current back of our cars is the most beautiful and elegant design out there .Here we go again - make it look plain, so maybe we can sell more....
Not a fan of the 2012 redesign either. The front I can live with (except for XFR, which they ruined for me personally), but the back is overstyled quiet a bit (do we really need fake diffusers on Jaguar sedans?).

I do prefer the current look, although i will reserve my final judgement till i see a 2012 XF in person.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't think you could go wrong with XF over the MB, Audi, or Caddy. I really looked long and hard over several months and I think Jag offered more for the money. I'm sure the 2012 will be more $$$, But that too will be on par with other brands that make upgrades and changes. There isn't a day that goes by where I know I made a great choice.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by yidal8
I didn't notice it the first time I looked, but the "JAGUAR" lettering is no longer on the back for 2012....I kind of liked the lettering, a bit of "advertising"...

Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
I didn't notice it the first time I looked, but the "JAGUAR" lettering is no longer on the back for 2012....I kind of liked the lettering, a bit of "advertising"...
I kind of like it, too, but it's being phased out as part of Jaguar's master trademark branding scheme, to get away from the hood ornament leaper Jaguar on the hood (also due to pedestrian safety concerns) in favor of the flush mounted leaper on the rear. Ian Callum felt that the XF was such a departure from prior Jags that people might not readily identify the new car as a Jaguar without the script on the rear. But as the car gets more recognition and the flush mounted leaper is associated in people's minds with "Jaguar," the lettering becomes redundant, and the script-less strip across the rear is felt to be "cleaner" looking. At least that's the theory.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/tips...g-its-own-name

Apex Automotive • View topic - Jag to get rid of their name.

Design - Jaguar XJ Is Back With Some Bite - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Need4Spd; 06-04-2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:12 PM

I can see that the leaper just isn't going to work on that hood. But I really liked the lettering on the back. It was clean looking and part of the chrome, vs. most cars where the nameplate is separate and on the corner of the trunk.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Rumour has it that an AWD XF is to be introduced by Jaguar to replace lost sales on the X-type AWD saloon. Northern US states specifically mentioned as the reason - lots 'n lots of snow and ice in winter!!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
Rumour has it that an AWD XF is to be introduced by Jaguar to replace lost sales on the X-type AWD saloon. Northern US states specifically mentioned as the reason - lots 'n lots of snow and ice in winter!!
The salesman who took me on my test drive said the same thing, to look for AWD in about 2-4 years...

Quick Reply: XF test drive...first time driving a Jag!