XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR 5.0 SC Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XFR 5.0 SC Oil Question

Bought a 2012 XFR with 73k miles on it. As it was being delivered cross country it was discovered it had a bad coolant leak. So straight to the shop it went. While there, without asking the mechanic changed the oil. Something I do myself religiously. He did use a proper filter (mahle) and stated he used a full synthetic (unknown which) but he used 5w30. I live in San Diego so the climate is nice and warm but are not these engines only supposed to take 5w20. Should I change out the oil when I get it, reusing the new filter. Or just go with the oil for 5-7k miles and change early.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 436 Likes on 385 Posts

Congrats on the new car! Given you don’t know the brand and it seems to be the wrong grade I would say change it. If you do it yourself it’s cheap and easy. Check with your local dealer what they recommend for grade to be sure.

They only recommend a very specific oil brand so you can either buy that from the dealer (at high cost) or do a very similar one for less (lots of posts here about pros and cons of that - personal choice in the end)

Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

There are about a million "which oil should I use?" threads on this forum, search and ye shall find!
Bottom line - 5W20 was recommended for the earlier XFR then changed around 2013 to 0W20, and 5W20 would be better for a hot climate.
5W30 is wrong, it should be 5W20 in your car, so you should take it back to the shop and demand they change it for 5W20 at no charge to you.
That said it is unlikely that 5W30 will cause any damage in the short term, but may do so in the long term.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. I will pump it out within the next 100 miles than and reuse the new filter.

I won't be buying the factory oil but rather Mobil1 5w20 which meets spec or Castrol Edge 5w20 that meets spec. The only question I have left than is should I be getting the High Mileage variety since the car has 73k miles? There is no material cost difference so not sure if it makes a difference. I've gone through the search functions for that specifically with no good result other than battles between Mobil and Castrol just not around high mileage vs not.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

High mileage = "long life" in marketing speak.
In plain English it means the oil supposedly lasts longer before it starts to shear, break down or lose it's detergent properties.
As the JLR recommended oil change interval is a relatively long 16,000 miles / 26,000 km or 12 months whichever comes first, they recommend "long life" oil.
Some owners prefer to do a DIY oil change between each recommended change, ie at around 8,000 miles or six months just to play safe as these engines are very sensitive to oil quality and level and are expensive to repair or replace.
Others argue that there is nothing to be gained from changing oil any sooner than the recommended interval, otherwise why would it be the recommended interval?
Your choice which way to go!

Old 11-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Sorry I should have been more clear unless I am mistaken. I see three products for each Mobil and Castrol.

Regular full synthetic 5w20
High Mileage (for cars with more than 75k miles) full syn 5w20
Extended Performance (for 15k miles of protection) full syn 5w20

Our cars obviously want Extended performance due to the 15k interval (which i likely will hit age first so not a big deal) but my car specifically has high mileage, would I benefit from that over the EP?

Old 11-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

If there is little or no price difference and they are all in spec I would go for the Mobil 1 EP.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sbjmg
Sorry I should have been more clear unless I am mistaken. I see three products for each Mobil and Castrol.

Regular full synthetic 5w20
High Mileage (for cars with more than 75k miles) full syn 5w20
Extended Performance (for 15k miles of protection) full syn 5w20

Our cars obviously want Extended performance due to the 15k interval (which i likely will hit age first so not a big deal) but my car specifically has high mileage, would I benefit from that over the EP?
Do not run the oil for more than 5000 miles, PLEASE!!!