XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR charger onto 4.2 engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:24 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default XFR charger onto 4.2 engine

Pulled the trigger. complete supercharger(vacum operated valve ) with coolers and two noses(in case of damage) arrived. both XFR air filters and intake hoses to throthle ordered.
engine is already out.
so far plan A is -
1)throthle body goes to front
2) 4.2 injectors adapter needs to be cut and welded to sit 90' degrees like in 5.0sc possible need of redesig /custom for rail hoses (space issue)
3) redesign of front engine cooling hoses/ thermostat housing( will see what is needed when charger will sit on)
4) making threads for the TVS screws on to 4.2 block.
5) relocating engine oil dipstick and engine oil filling cap

I'm prett sure i will manage everything if the height will be enought.

my doubt is about bypass valve to operate proprely..

I/m doing this for lower temperatures , and less mechanical losses at higher RPM.

The following users liked this post:
User 42324 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not do heads as well? Only difference is block on the engine

Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Sponsor
Received 418 Likes on 249 Posts

What's going on here ? 5.0 supercharger on a 4.2car? Is that even possible?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,158 Likes on 2,326 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexJag
What's going on here ? 5.0 supercharger on a 4.2car? Is that even possible?
Yep, that is what he is attempting.
I wouldn't say it was impossible to get it working perfectly, just incredibly difficult and probably massively expensive.
Good luck to him though I would love to be proven to be overly pessimistic!

Old 09-18-2019, 01:15 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that is what he is attempting.
I wouldn't say it was impossible to get it working perfectly, just incredibly difficult and probably massively expensive.
Good luck to him though I would love to be proven to be overly pessimistic!
sounds crazy ,would love to see that happen

Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 AM

Is that even possible?

Very strange question. Everything is possible. Impossible is justtake longer to achieve , are more expensive to achieve and more harderachieve than possible things. I have done some impossible things in the past(not realted to cars), so I have some expierence.BTW some said I coul notget50mpg from 4.2sc and beat 3.0 diesel in terms of fuel costs to run , butI already 2 years driving with thatnumbers already achieved.

OK, I have measured overall 4.2sc engine and TVS charger height- primary hope was to replace fuel pressure sensor place and put charger on-buti stillmiss around30mm (bonnet bugle wont help as its 40mm while tvs charger 525mm.so not possibleto put charger without redesigningfuel rails . so fuel railswill be redesigned.extension to fuel filterand oil dip metter will need some work, but my not as TVS charger/coolers assemblyare lower in height (and lenght BTW) so it can sit 12cm higher making more air ventilation between charger and engine .the space gained will be used for aditional hoses and some other stuff I plan. (if its will fit there)

throthle body seems very similar (same manufacturer, same pinout/plug) just a bit bigger. hope use 5.0SC TB, other wiseredesign of 4.2TBcooling lines needed as its points to TVS charger. plastic intake pipes goes from 5.0sc car. air filtersprobbaly willleft original.

EGR will be left at the back just moove to other side.

air inlet -a special part will be needed - one of the side will be made from cutted from donnors old 4.2sc coolers from outlets ( have bought aditional 2 psc so now hav 4 psc to play)other side will be made made to match 5.0sc engine air inlet part. I need to investigate further if 5.0sc engine have similar adapters like 4.2sc have) if yes I will buy and use that part,if not it will be need custom CNCduring welding those two partsangle will be changed to maketop part completely 180’ to place TVS charger corectly. after all job all gaskets will be stock. just lower sied from 4.2scengine and uper from 5.0sc.

I will measure diferencies in vacum regulated bypas valve and redajustlevels to match.

the most chalenging part is front coolingthermostat housing and zillion other hosesaround it. the front topenginecoolant outlet elbow needsto be rewelded to diferent angle.

all thermostat housing will need to be cutted and redone (chargerwill sit above it not below like in 4.2sc stock configuration, headscoolant points angain cute and rewelded to diferent directions.

it will took some time, but I will be there.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:53 AM

some pics. aditional TVS nose bought just in case need to play with. also infamous nose coupler will be replaced with custom machined from aluminium.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Watching with interest.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:05 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Why not change out the whole charge cooling system? Maybe do an air to air front mount? You'll recover lots of the space there that you need.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:31 AM

I changing whole set of 4.2sc( charger with coolers, air intake elbow and outlet ports) to less complex and direct air suply 5.0sc srt (only charger and charge coolers) charge cooler lines will be conected to 4.2sc cooling system which are not much diferent from 5.0 chargers cooling systems.

its not possible this engine to be air cooled (I hope this is joke or language barier) as i have on my 1986 WW Beetle. it will melt on after few WOT. and maybe even on idle. 10x more power requires seriuos cooling. so zillion of hoses will stay. and would be headache to postion all those in tidy spaces.. that my biggest wory on this project.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts

You could maybe try emailing Swallows Jaguar in the UK. I know they've put a TVS blower on an STR & it works because the Boss' son drives it, but I don't know if there's a difference between the XF 4.2 s/c & an XFR.

Here's their website for email, etc.

https://www.swallows-jag.co.uk/

Last edited by User 42324; 09-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Robinus
You could maybe try emailing Swallows Jaguar in the UK. I know they've put a TVS blower on an STR & it works because the Boss' son drives it, but I don't know if there's a difference between the XF 4.2 s/c & an XFR.

Here's their website for email, etc.

https://www.swallows-jag.co.uk/
thanks maybe they will hemp me with soem details if they put complete unit. replcing onlt superchargers does not require lot of job nd if order stock TVS eton chared with bac inlet(not the jaguar custm made) it quite easy job.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Sponsor

Okay I didn't mean it impossible as " it can never be done" but impossible as in reasonable amount of work in time.

I guess can I ask why are you trying to go through this much work to make 5.0 supercharger work on a 4.2 XF? What are you trying to achieve? A certain amount of horsepower?

Are you aware that a 4.2 engine can easily go past 500hp on a stock m112 Eaton supercharger? I only have basic bolt ons on my 2008 Jaguar XKR and I am at 511 horsepower to the crank. This required very minimum work as it's only an upper pulley, high-flow cats some intake modifications, proper ecu tune. Very simple stuff not a lot of work but amazing gains.

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:37 PM

Okay I didn't mean it impossible as " it can never be done" but impossible as in reasonable amount of work in time.

I guess can I ask why are you trying to go through this much work to make 5.0 supercharger work on a 4.2 XF? What are you trying to achieve? A certain amount of horsepower?

Are you aware that a 4.2 engine can easily go past 500hp on a stock m112 Eaton supercharger? I only have basic bolt ons on my 2008 Jaguar XKR and I am at 511 horsepower to the crank. This required very minimum work as it's only an upper pulley, high-flow cats some intake modifications, proper ecu tune. Very simple stuff not a lot of work but amazing gains.
I understand,. I'm not making this for power gains. I am making this for less heat and lower engine losses at high rpm. when i wanted more power i instaled LSD- with same heat,fuel consumption i get much more acceleration (especialy in wet) this is priority number one option when someone requires power(unless you do accelerations from 150-to 250km/h- then yes engine power from 400 to 600hp makes big sense,otherwise its jsut flashing lDSC light on dashboard panel)

I have invested in my xf 4.2sc money/ time resources that i instead could bought 2x XFR here in europe. i just love 4.2SC engine.its masterpiece to my point of wiew in this modern nonsense cars and nonsense engines world.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:27 PM
Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts

511 at the crank. What dyno was that estimated on, please ? I'd like to see the graph of the wheel measurement if that's possible.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robinus
511 at the crank. What dyno was that estimated on, please ? I'd like to see the graph of the wheel measurement if that's possible.
This was Mustang dynometer so that would be around 480 rear wheels on Dynojet . Check my signature and see my threads, plenty of info and Dynos on my car.

Last edited by AlexJag; 09-19-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2023, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elviukai
Pulled the trigger. complete supercharger(vacum operated valve ) with coolers and two noses(in case of damage) arrived. both XFR air filters and intake hoses to throthle ordered.
engine is already out.
so far plan A is -
1)throthle body goes to front
2) 4.2 injectors adapter needs to be cut and welded to sit 90' degrees like in 5.0sc possible need of redesig /custom for rail hoses (space issue)
3) redesign of front engine cooling hoses/ thermostat housing( will see what is needed when charger will sit on)
4) making threads for the TVS screws on to 4.2 block.
5) relocating engine oil dipstick and engine oil filling cap

I'm prett sure i will manage everything if the height will be enought.

my doubt is about bypass valve to operate proprely..

I/m doing this for lower temperatures , and less mechanical losses at higher RPM.
Hi, been a while since this post was put on. Was this achieved please? Came across this while searching if it had been done before. I own a 4 2 xjr with a massive list of mods and placing the 5.0 supercharger was proposed to me by the guys who are modding and tunning mine. Thanks

Old 08-26-2023, 12:52 PM
Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Holford85
Hi, been a while since this post was put on. Was this achieved please? Came across this while searching if it had been done before. I own a 4 2 xjr with a massive list of mods and placing the 5.0 supercharger was proposed to me by the guys who are modding and tunning mine. Thanks
I very much doubt it.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,293 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I think you can read his posts and then look at the time and date?
He's been gone for several years without a trace.
Do you think he got it done and then forgot to post back??

Old 08-27-2023, 08:04 AM
Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
I think you can read his posts and then look at the time and date?
He's been gone for several years without a trace.
Do you think he got it done and then forgot to post back??
My guess is he gave up. Not sure why anyone would tackle it anyway.

Quick Reply: XFR charger onto 4.2 engine