XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR Custom Downpipes and Intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default XFR Custom Downpipes and Intake

Hey guys,

Thought I would just share some of the recent work I’ve had done to my XFR. A local shop that specializes in German and European cars built me a set of custom downpipes and an intake, among other things.

Last edited by LTracey; 06-21-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

how much for the intake?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM

The intake, including powder coating and filters, was about $600.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks and sounds great. Do they make the adapters to fit the cone filters?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 AM

Thanks. There’s no adapter, they just cut the original air boxes so that the filters could be attached.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM

ah that's a shame thanks.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just to make sure that I understand correctly. to make the S/C wine more or make the sound noticeable you have to change the box air filter to a cone air filter?
I just bought the normal box K&N air filters and intake tube from mina gallery

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-XFR-...4383.l4275.c10
https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=33-2273

Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 PM

Yup, need cone filters. I had a Mina intake and K&N filters before this and there wasn’t any real increase in sound.

The following users liked this post:
ariba (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks
1.Is there any increase in HP or only sound?
2. I felt from your words that it's a direct fit to the tube? or dose it need some work?
(There’s no adapter, they just cut the original air boxes so that the filters could be attached)

Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 AM

1) I don’t think it increases hp, or if it does it’s very little.
2) if you have a 09-11 with the Denso sensors you have to cut the air box, if it’s a Bosch (12 and up) map sensor you can separate the sensor from he rest of the air box and attach the filters.

ariba (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 02:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Watch out for the heat soak brigade, surprised they've not been on here already with the setup above.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:20 PM

I expected it as well and that’s ok. I think performance wise the set up had a negligible impact as far as increasing power or hurting it. I did it for the aesthetics and more importantly the sound.

Puntoboy (07-09-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can u describe more about the exhaust work they did for you? For example, did they remove the resonator, etc. I am also in NJ, and am curious. Thx.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 AM

My exhaust consist of custom catless downpipes, into the stock h pipe and resonator section, into a a spires stage 2 exhaust.

Old 07-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by L80ous
Watch out for the heat soak brigade, surprised they've not been on here already with the setup above.
lol. here i am to rep for the heat soakers..
i just conducted a test of my older denso setup an removed the plastic tubes that go into the intake boxes / also opened up the intake boxes themselves a bit.
my theory was much more airflow of engine compartment air available vs. stock setup of small plastic moldings and cooler air.
removed foam air "blockers" on either side of radiators to let a bit more air in without having to to pass through radiators.
also have engine compartment under tray off car.
took car to track and 90+F ambient / humid. ran worse times than i did before tune and pulley.. had none of the previous wheel spin issues at launch and car felt very soft.
last time got a 12.7 at 110 in 1/4 mile. this time mostly low 13's and a singular 12.8 - all at lower trap speeds that last year.
easy to conclude i had issues with heat - I'm guessing down 80 to 100 HP that night as compared to whee the car should be.

so a friend of mine let me borrow his OBD2 tool. it's an UltraGauge and connects to app on phone via bluetooth. can read all the parameters that car doesn't show you.
ran a couple extended driving sessions on back roads on 2 similar afternoons, one with engine compartment air and the next with factory "cold air".

day one had intake air temps (read at map-t sensor after S/C) creeping just over 200*F and coming down into high 180's on cooldowns. this is mid 80's F and humid.

day two almost identical weather and put plastic cold air tubes back on. much stronger acceleration and intake temps seemed to get no higher than high 160'sF.

worth noting
- just did Bosch charge cooler pump upgrade and that system seems to be working properly.
- engine bay is so hot at those temps that you cannot lay hand on the plastic parts that should be relatively cool.
- best boost with hot engine air was 1.5psi less that the 8.3 - 8.5 peaks i was seeing with colder air from in front of radiators

i will do my best to provide a more complete writeup and some screen capture video of the ultraguage app. it really seems to be a decent way to finally see some of what's actually going on in the engine.

re: s/c whine - i think the factory pleated rectangular filter is the biggest culprit and a conical would definitely let the sound out. i did run it with filter ess air box tops (removed filter, lower air box, all intake tubes) and the whine was there for sure. I do have the mina intake tube, but that did none of the whine improvement i was expecting vs. stock plastic way back when i put it in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Adam J:
davetibbs (07-30-2018), IppoJ (09-17-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 05:24 AM

It's definitely the filter boxes that reduce the noise. As soon as I replaced mine for cone filters I could hear the SC.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam J
lol. here i am to rep for the heat soakers..
i just conducted a test of my older denso setup an removed the plastic tubes that go into the intake boxes / also opened up the intake boxes themselves a bit.
my theory was much more airflow of engine compartment air available vs. stock setup of small plastic moldings and cooler air.
removed foam air "blockers" on either side of radiators to let a bit more air in without having to to pass through radiators.
also have engine compartment under tray off car.
took car to track and 90+F ambient / humid. ran worse times than i did before tune and pulley.. had none of the previous wheel spin issues at launch and car felt very soft.
last time got a 12.7 at 110 in 1/4 mile. this time mostly low 13's and a singular 12.8 - all at lower trap speeds that last year.
easy to conclude i had issues with heat - I'm guessing down 80 to 100 HP that night as compared to whee the car should be.

so a friend of mine let me borrow his OBD2 tool. it's an UltraGauge and connects to app on phone via bluetooth. can read all the parameters that car doesn't show you.
ran a couple extended driving sessions on back roads on 2 similar afternoons, one with engine compartment air and the next with factory "cold air".

day one had intake air temps (read at map-t sensor after S/C) creeping just over 200*F and coming down into high 180's on cooldowns. this is mid 80's F and humid.

day two almost identical weather and put plastic cold air tubes back on. much stronger acceleration and intake temps seemed to get no higher than high 160'sF.
Thanks Adam, great to have this data. I was always of the opinion that these engine bays get far too hot for cone filters to work effectively and even though the plastic gets hot it does a pretty good job of insulating the air intake from heat soak. However, most of us have also experienced the difference of replacing the stock T-Pipe with a TCP/Mina/Homemade alternative - it's clear the original is quite restrictive, probably for NVH reasons as much as anything else, so it's clear the factory intake can be improved.

Personally my plan is to look at having cone filters, but have these completely separated from the engine bay with carbon fiber shields, and add additional cold air intakes to them, maybe stealing a small amount from the auxiliary cooling radiators by routing piping behind the headlight and into the front bumper intakes below?

My main motivator for investigating this is the supposedly dyno-proven gains of the Eventuri F-Type V8 Intake - 30-38bhp seems to be a pretty good gain for intake mods.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Thanks Adam, great to have this data. I was always of the opinion that these engine bays get far too hot for cone filters to work effectively and even though the plastic gets hot it does a pretty good job of insulating the air intake from heat soak. However, most of us have also experienced the difference of replacing the stock T-Pipe with a TCP/Mina/Homemade alternative - it's clear the original is quite restrictive, probably for NVH reasons as much as anything else, so it's clear the factory intake can be improved.

Personally my plan is to look at having cone filters, but have these completely separated from the engine bay with carbon fiber shields, and add additional cold air intakes to them, maybe stealing a small amount from the auxiliary cooling radiators by routing piping behind the headlight and into the front bumper intakes below?

My main motivator for investigating this is the supposedly dyno-proven gains of the Eventuri F-Type V8 Intake - 30-38bhp seems to be a pretty good gain for intake mods.
i have some videos of a screen capture during some spirited driving. I need to import and convert to share with y'all. - sometime soon... it's a great tool. Actually I'm going to reach out to my tuner and see if they can use some of that data as they are working towards custom denso files soon.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by L80ous
Forget heat soak, what about the old coolant brigade? That looks like some dark coolant that is well past its use by date.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Forget heat soak, what about the old coolant brigade? That looks like some dark coolant that is well past its use by date.
Thanks for such an insightful post.

Quick Reply: XFR Custom Downpipes and Intake