XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XFR (possibly across XF range) lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default XFR (possibly across XF range) lug nuts

I replaced the brakes on my 2013 XFR today, using Ed's excellent guide. The only issue I ran into was when loosening the lugs. The lug nuts on my car have a cosmetic cover over the actual nut which is very thin metal. Because my lug were previously over-tightened by somebody else, I had to use some serious force to get the lugs off. In doing so I effectively rounded one of the cosmetic caps. I ended up having to drill through it, rip it off with some needle nose, and then smack an 18mm socket on the actual nut, which is a 19mm nut. Needless to say, it was completely ruined. Fortunately I had four extra lug nuts because of the locking set that is on the car, so I used one of those to replace it.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem? Also, I would like to replace all of the lug nuts with some better ones, and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions. I wouldn't mind doing black lug nuts to match the black wheels and trim, but then the locking nut would still be chrome, so I may just do chrome. What I really want is a lug nut that doesn't have the stupid cosmetic cap, but is just a good nut.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails XFR (possibly across XF range) lug nuts-lug1.jpg   XFR (possibly across XF range) lug nuts-lug2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ATFS13XFR
I replaced the brakes on my 2013 XFR today, using Ed's excellent guide. The only issue I ran into was when loosening the lugs. The lug nuts on my car have a cosmetic cover over the actual nut which is very thin metal. Because my lug were previously over-tightened by somebody else, I had to use some serious force to get the lugs off. In doing so I effectively rounded one of the cosmetic caps. I ended up having to drill through it, rip it off with some needle nose, and then smack an 18mm socket on the actual nut, which is a 19mm nut. Needless to say, it was completely ruined. Fortunately I had four extra lug nuts because of the locking set that is on the car, so I used one of those to replace it.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem? Also, I would like to replace all of the lug nuts with some better ones, and was wondering if anybody has any suggestions. I wouldn't mind doing black lug nuts to match the black wheels and trim, but then the locking nut would still be chrome, so I may just do chrome. What I really want is a lug nut that doesn't have the stupid cosmetic cap, but is just a good nut.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I have the same problem as well, the oem lugs are terrible I’m trying to find good durable replacements

Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 PM

When I say the lugs were over-tightened to begin with, this is what my original lug wrench looks like now...

Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hollyyyyy crap!!!! Must’ve took a lot of power to do that

Old 09-24-2017, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

No way you should be using the OEM lug wrench, it's weak, difficult to use in an emergency situation, and prone to scratch your lugs nuts or wheels or both!
I recommend you get a 1/2" breaker bar (plenty on Fleabay) and a 19 mm plastic sleeved socket, see here for example: Powerbuilt® 1/2" Drive 19mm Lug Nut Socket With Sleeve - 941040 | eBay
I use this combo and undoing and torquing up the lug nuts is a cinch, with no scratching the nuts or the wheels.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I use a breaker bar with a long socket for road side.

In the garage , I use an electric impact gun with a long socket.

Don’t buy a 4-way, as they tend to slip.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
No way you should be using the OEM lug wrench, it's weak, difficult to use in an emergency situation, and prone to scratch your lugs nuts or wheels or both!
I recommend you get a 1/2" breaker bar (plenty on Fleabay) and a 19 mm plastic sleeved socket, see here for example: Powerbuilt® 1/2" Drive 19mm Lug Nut Socket With Sleeve - 941040 | eBay
I use this combo and undoing and torquing up the lug nuts is a cinch, with no scratching the nuts or the wheels.
Yep, learned my lesson. I am disappointed overall with the quality of a few discoveries I made today, but I'm happy to be learning things about my car and with the help of everybody here.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

This same issue affects just about all modern Jags. Went through the same crap 10 years ago on my S-type. Toss the OEM lug wrench as far away as you can.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

...and ditch those ****ing awful lug nuts while you're at it. They only round off, and there's no advantage to Jaguar's terrible design. Why wouldn't you just have the lug wrench contact the actual metal of the nut rather than some stupid cosmetic cover? It's just asinine.

You can buy 20 lug nuts off eBay/Amazon etc for not very much cash - Toyota ones work well.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 AM

So as OzXFR pointed out to me in another thread, Gorilla Automotive make a set specifically for Jags which I found on the Summit racing website (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-73138jbc), I assume $5.97 gets me one set of five lugs? Anybody know?

Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member

So as OzXFR pointed out to me in another thread, Gorilla Automotive make a set specifically for Jags which I found on the Summit racing website (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-73138jbc), I assume $5.97 gets me one set of five lugs? Anybody know?
Nup, it's $5.97 US each nut, I should know coz guess where I bought a set of 20 from! That's for the black ones, not so sure about the chrome ones.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:03 AM

Nup, it's $5.97 US each nut, I should know coz guess where I bought a set of 20 from! That's for the black ones, not so sure about the chrome ones.
think I'll go with some cheaper Toyota lugs. Just need to make sure they're the mag seat kind

Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you know what lug wrench to buy with these?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by harryf
Do you know what lug wrench to buy with these?
They are standard Jag 19 mm hex, same as the stock lug nuts, so any 19 mm hex wrench/socket will work. But as recommended earlier in this thread you should invest in a 1/2" breaker bar and a 19 mm sleeved socket.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,774 Posts

As Mikey said it's hard to believe we are STILL getting these POS capped lug nuts! Had them on my 2005 STR and guess what? They are on my 2014 XJR too!

Anyway as has been posted thousands of times replace all of them now!
Here are the chrome version on EBay. Factory part number is C2C35294. Gorilla Part number #73138J. The black ones have BC after the part number.

20 GORILLA JAGUAR 12x1.5 OEM OE STOCK FACTORY WHEELS RIMS MAG LUG NUTS CHROME | eBay

$100 for 20 and free shipping. There is an make best offer so I might try to get them a bit cheaper.

Nice because these are the stock 19mm size socket.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I got these since someone on another thread suggested these.
Gorilla Mag Wheel Locks Gorilla Mag Wheel Locks
You have to buy another lug wrench which will fit the 13/16 socket key. The socket key is thin walled so it won't scratch your wheels either.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:56 PM

So I found these for $80
20 ALL LOCK GORILLA MITSUBISHI STOCK FACTORY WHEELS RIM MAG LUG NUT 12X1.5 BLACK | eBay.

Seems like they should fit, my only concern is that the Jag specific gorilla nuts are 44mm in length, and these Mitsubishi ones are only 38mm. I haven't been able to take a lug off to check, but will the shorter lugs seat all the way? Or will they bottom out before seating the wheel? I like the idea of having locking lugs for all the lugs and also having all black lugs instead of one locking silver and four regular black, but I'm not sure if these would be right...

Old 09-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

So I found these for $80
20 ALL LOCK GORILLA MITSUBISHI STOCK FACTORY WHEELS RIM MAG LUG NUT 12X1.5 BLACK | eBay.

Seems like they should fit, my only concern is that the Jag specific gorilla nuts are 44mm in length, and these Mitsubishi ones are only 38mm. I haven't been able to take a lug off to check, but will the shorter lugs seat all the way? Or will they bottom out before seating the wheel? I like the idea of having locking lugs for all the lugs and also having all black lugs instead of one locking silver and four regular black, but I'm not sure if these would be right...
They will most probably fit perfectly OK, as the extra 6 mm length is all in the head of the nut not in the shank. I tried some similar ones (but not lock nuts) and had problems most likely due to the shank being too long rather than too short, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-locks-184921/
Of course they are 21 mm hex head vs stock 19 mm so you will need a 21 mm socket or wrench.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM

They will most probably fit perfectly OK, as the extra 6 mm length is all in the head of the nut not in the shank. I tried some similar ones (but not lock nuts) and had problems most likely due to the shank being too long rather than too short, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-locks-184921/
Of course they are 21 mm hex head vs stock 19 mm so you will need a 21 mm socket or wrench.
The socket isn't an issue, bought a whole set of metric sockets when my OEM wrench died. Saw your issues with noise/vibration. That would be a big bummer. Maybe I should just spend the extra $20 and get the ones made for the car...

Old 10-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 293 Posts