XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Good stereo replacement for stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good stereo replacement for stock radio

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the stock Alpine radio that comes with the 1996 XJ6? I have read a few things from people saying its probably best to leave it in because since the stock stereo is kinda big and bulky, it's hard to find one that looks good.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can't find it here there are none available
http://www.crutchfield.com

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

The Pioneer DEH-P7150UB is a reasonably good looking unit as far as head units go. You can buy a bezel adaptor to go around it so it wont look so stupid.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:43 PM

The only thing I am worried about, you know as well, is that the stereo is rather bulky in our 96's. I have seen a few 96's where they installed a new stereo but it just didn't look right.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 PM

It'll never look right. But the bezel I mentioned will make it look half decent.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM

I might look into that, but then again I am looking to just restore it with a few tweaks. Not sure if I want to tackle the stereo though, probably will just get a tape deck adapter for my iPod.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
I might look into that, but then again I am looking to just restore it with a few tweaks. Not sure if I want to tackle the stereo though, probably will just get a tape deck adapter for my iPod.
That's something I really like about the DEH-P7150UB. It has both USB and aux line in, and they're on the back of the unit so I can run discrete wires to sockets mounted in the centre console. No wires hanging out the front of the head unit.

But if your stock unit is working fine, I'd be tempted to leave it alone.

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone found an aftermarket head unit that will work with the stock CD changer?

Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM

I was told: "Select an Alpine unit with the M suffix, as in CDM XXXX, and you
will be compatible".

But from what I could see, the M suffix units were all outdated and hard to find.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been thinking about changing my radio as well. The one in my car seems like it is haunted. I never know what it is going to do next. The CD changer seems to work fine when the radio lets me turn it on.
I found this " old-school" radio at Crutchfield.
Pioneer KEH-P2030 Cassette receiver at Crutchfield.com
It has a CD changer control. Does anyone know if it might work? The down side is no modern inputs. If I want to use an Ipod i can always use one of the cassette adaptors that are available.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The radio on my '96 XJ6 seems possessed. Plays only one station, at one volume level, and I can't turn it on or off. Doesn't seem like the CD-changer in the trunk works either. So, I decided to just get another factory OEM radio/cassette unit that works, and just use a cassette adapter to play my iPod. Found one on eBay for $150 plus shipping. From what I can tell, you have to remove the large center console wood piece in order to get to the bezel, and remove the radio/cassette unit. Guess it's a good thing I also bought another center wood section piece ($40 on eBay), in case the dealer FUBAR's the stock one swapping radios!

Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
zej
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed the head unit on my 96 XJR to a Pioneer (new, supposedly top of the range with USB+AUX+Bluetooth handsfree). The old unit was working fine apart from failed lighting the CD stacker not talking to the head unit occasionally. I just wanted to play podcasts, sermons, music etc. from the iPhone.

Ebay was my friend - bought the faceplate to surround a standard single-DIN system so it doesn't look TOO stuffed around with.
Also bought a Jaguar-to-ISO wiring harness, then an ISO-to-Pioneer harness so it was pretty much unplug the OEM unit, and plug in the aftermarket unit (+microphone, +antenna, +earth accordingly) and play.

I was quite dissatisfied with the Pioneer unit. Bluetooth aside, it seems to be at least a generation behind by 5 year old Kenwood KDC-4350U unit I pulled from my Range Rover when it was written off. It couldn't play MP4 files (ie, direct from itunes - so everything had to be converted to MP3 format to play from the USB key), didn't communicate with the factory antenna, couldn't directly play from the iphone unless a special cable is used. While the Bluetooth handsfree function worked well receiving calls, it's menu function was pretty primative and painful to use.

In the end I installed my old Kenwood and happily forgo the handsfree capability in return for a working electric aerial and AM radio reception. It was just a matter of buying a ISO-to-Kenwood harness, and swapping them around. The AUX input of the Kenwood was behind, so I ran a 3.5mm extension cable to just behind the headlight switch on my RHD car (the other alternative was to the ashtray, but I like to keep that closed so that my centre console looks pretty). I'll upgrade eventually to another Kenwood or Alpine, but never another Pioneer.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-market-56004/

Last edited by zej; 06-03-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacement

I have a Clarion CZ300 installed. It fit real nicely and it also adds a little space as well. Any deck can pretty much fit it, don't let the stock radio scare you. Ill post a picture if you need.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM

I'm sure there are LOTS of aftermarket radios out there that will work, the only problem I've seen of some of these installs is they look like crap. The face of the unit is either way back, because of the angle of the stock bezel, or it's not flush-mounted like the clock right above it, and looks like crap. It's VERY obvious they're aftermarket units, compared to how the stock unit looks.

I'm not such an audiophile that I need something that's got all these bells and whistles, bluetooth this and handsfree that. I'd be perfectly content with a factory radio/cassette that turned on and off, changed stations, and went up and down in volume.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Social1200r,

My radio is acting EXACTLY like yours, one station, can't adjust volume or turn on/off. Believe it or not I have found that by pushing in the cassette and then ejecting it, will cause the unit to work perfect again, all stations, volume, and CD's (sometimes I can just hold my finger down on the eject button for a couple of seconds and it will work). It's usually a temporary fix only working until you turn the ignition off then back to one station upon start up. I'm sure my unit's on it's way out but for now this little trick works. Worth a try.

Joe

Old 06-04-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kongo1
Socal1200r,

My radio is acting EXACTLY like yours, one station, can't adjust volume or turn on/off. Believe it or not I have found that by pushing in the cassette and then ejecting it, will cause the unit to work perfect again, all stations, volume, and CD's (sometimes I can just hold my finger down on the eject button for a couple of seconds and it will work). It's usually a temporary fix only working until you turn the ignition off then back to one station upon start up. I'm sure my unit's on it's way out but for now this little trick works. Worth a try.

Joe
Joe - thanks for the hint. I just went out and held down the eject button, but no joy. I then did the same thing with the rest of the buttons, no luck either. I don't have any cassettes, but if I'm going to swap radios, I'll have to invest in one of those cassette iPod adapters anyway. Guess I'll stop by Radio Shack on my home tomorrow, and see if that changes anything.

Thanks again

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

My radio, or speakers, stink. I'm thinking of a single DIN unit with a small video screen now that I've become dependent upon a rear-view camera with my other car.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 PM

Got a labor quote from the dealer to swap radios...$325! WTF, over?! Is he smoking crack or something?! Is he assuming that just because I have this XJ6 that I have access to a bottomless pit of money?! At that rate, the ONLY thing I'll take my car to him for is the $150 full detail special!

Since I also ordered a new wood center console piece, I just might try swapping the radio myself, or take it to an indy shop and see how much they'd charge. There's NO WAY I'm paying that kind of money to swap radios. It's the same exact radio, unplug one and plug in the other, then button everything back up.

So where's a "how to" in here of getting to the radio? I imagine the ashtray would have to come out, the wood center console piece has to come out (gently so as to not crack the veneer?), remove the bezel, undo some bolts that's holding the radio in place, and that's it?

Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's very simple. I'm sure you can find the info that you need in the FAQ sticky quick link at the top of the x300 forum page, there is even a video!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

It's actually very simple to do.

1. Remove the two screws holding the upper part of the ashtray in place, near the center arm rest.
2. Slide ashtray backwards and upwards,
3. You'll see two wing nuts holding the ski slope in place, unscrew those and gently remove it. Might have to switch the gear to neutral or drive to get it through the square.
4. Once the ski slope wood is removed, you'll see 4 screws holding the radio/AC controls in place. Remove those and you'll be able to unhook the radio. I think the sleeve that holds the radio in place will be there also but you just need to unclip the metal and it should slide out without a problem.

The following users liked this post:
fredd60 (06-06-2012)

Quick Reply: Good stereo replacement for stock radio