XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Drivers control module issues...no power How to

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drivers control module issues...no power How to

Ok, in the process of replacing a door handle cable on the drivers side while wiggling the outter door handle windows started rolling up and down which I thought was odd seemimg the car was off. I then unplugged what I believe is the mechanism for unlocking and latching the door and handle. In doing so the anti theft system sounded. I reattached and put the key in the ignition to stop. I then disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and proceeded to finish the assembly. Upon finishing the installation of the door panel the drivers control module does not work for windows, mirrors, and shows no power lighting what so ever. When the drivers door is open the indicator screen states "passengers door open" rather than "drivers door". The windows all work via their own control module so it has to be isolated to this drivers door not being recognized in the system. So...my question is.

What is the fix for this? Does it need a hard reset? Does this need to be programed some way for the main module to recognize it?

PS-I could not find the "lh heel board" fuse box. I checked the kick panel by the hood release and only found a relay of sort as well as checking the near the center console. I feel dumb for asking but where is this fuse box?

Any help would be appreciated

Old 07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

The heel board fuse boxes are in the back seat. The heel board is the piece of trim that your heel would run into if you shuffled your feet back up against the seat. There are two fuse boxes, left hand and right hand. The trim pieces pry off, revealing the fuse boxes.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

The heelboards look like they are extensions of the carpet, but they are separate trim pieces.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Locations of XJ8 Fuse Boxes & Relays

Hello
I extracted the XJ8 Fuse Boxes & Relays Diagrams & Instructions from the JTIS21 Shop Repair Manual CD:

XJ8 Fuse Boxes & Relays.pdf

Jim Lombardi

Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks , I will add this to the FAQ

Old 07-12-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the assistance in finding the boxes.

I have checked the wiring diagram and fuses connected to the control box IE, locking systems, window motors, power mirrors etc...still no blown fuse. I even checked the others not coinciding with it directly cuz these cars electrical seem to connect into others all over the car. Later on today I will re check the connections to verify they are ok. Also, if I unplugged the harness for the door latch assembly and it sounds the alarm shouldnt this be part of the security/programming in some way? Anyone have ideas?

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No window control from driver's switch pack

Hello, I did already post this issue at in the XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003, along with a couple other "jaggernauts" having this issue, but since this thread is attached to the FAQs area, I'm posting it here since I haven't seen any resolutions.

I too, had a working driver's door switch pack, until I disconnected the driver's door locking connector...alarm sounded, I reconnected the wire, disconnected my battery, then no more window operation from the switch pack.

I made several attempts to hard reset the system using the battery method, but that didn't help this issue.

I've check the driver's side door module wiring and connections, took apart the switch pack and cleaned it (be careful of the tiny springs and pin underneath the rear-view mirror button), still the switch pack doesn't work.

All OTHER windows work using their own door buttons, but the driver's window does NOT work using it's own button (on switch pack). The rear-view mirrors both work from the switch pack.

I checked the fuses in the kick panel behind the driver's seat (fuses #2 and #15) and they are both good - and I checked ALL fuses - all are good.

So if there are any electrical gurus out there who know the operation of these control modules and their interaction with the other control modules and the battery - WE would love to hear your input. Also, it seems to me that our three vehicles having this issue are from Florida...hummmm.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by tempest
Hello, I did already post this issue at in the XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR 1997 - 2003, along with a couple other "jaggernauts" having this issue, but since this thread is attached to the FAQs area, I'm posting it here since I haven't seen any resolutions.

I too, had a working driver's door switch pack, until I disconnected the driver's door locking connector...alarm sounded, I reconnected the wire, disconnected my battery, then no more window operation from the switch pack.

I made several attempts to hard reset the system using the battery method, but that didn't help this issue.

I've check the driver's side door module wiring and connections, took apart the switch pack and cleaned it (be careful of the tiny springs and pin underneath the rear-view mirror button), still the switch pack doesn't work.

All OTHER windows work using their own door buttons, but the driver's window does NOT work using it's own button (on switch pack). The rear-view mirrors both work from the switch pack.

I checked the fuses in the kick panel behind the driver's seat (fuses #2 and #15) and they are both good - and I checked ALL fuses - all are good.

So if there are any electrical gurus out there who know the operation of these control modules and their interaction with the other control modules and the battery - WE would love to hear your input. Also, it seems to me that our three vehicles having this issue are from Florida...hummmm.
Yes, I did find my issue with this problem. I am pretty attentive to things especially without any manual to go by but it seems even though I swung the locking harness into place it didnt fully connect or simply slipped out once together which is always fun. Im not electrictian or an electrical guru but these modules are gonna communicate to one another for proper function. It was rather weird, the miscommunication between the drivers module window button pulls down the passenger rear....(scratching head). Maybe there is a possible electrical diagnostic test that can be done in order to get your resolution. Best of luck

Old 02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XJR window problem

Seems like I had a simular trouble. All i had to do was reset the system via connecting the battery posts neg and positive together. Works like new now.

The following users liked this post:
ixj8it (03-27-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM

Opps not the battery posts but the cables to the battery posts.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

ooh ooh! I have to add my story. I am so glad I read this I was working on the LH door last week fixing the lock, lubing the latch, and replacing the inner cable. I unhooked the plug that goes to the latch while the alarm was not armed. I later heard the alarm for the first time when I unlocked the door from the inside after hooking the latch back up. Since then, the drivers window would not go down, but it did have power and ground going to the motor. I mistakenly decided that since it had power and ground it needed a window lift motor. I looked up a reman Cardone....WHOA $250 or so my cost. I found a used window motor for $21 and got that. I hooked the new motor to the wires and found that the motor will run continously in the UP direction until you hit the down button, which grounds the other side of the motor, causing it to stop. It will not go down though since it needs power on the other side and the DDM wasnt giving it. So yeah I was stupid for not checking the polarity the first night.

I had my fill of Jags for that night My wife took the car to waco the other day and cracked the sunroof open to smoke and it began to open and close on her, which I thought was weird. I finally saw this thread and did a "hard reset" where you touch the battery cables together after unhooking them. Viola! We have normal window operation! Hell, I should try unlocking my car with the key now and see if its still going to set off the alarm! Thanks again jaguarforums!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Angry Failure of Driver's Window Control Module

The driver’s power window on my 1999 XJR periodically has been failing to go up or down for a long time. Switch and window motor generally test out okay. Problem always seems to be the window control module inside the door.

During the last several months, I’ve been through three different used modules that were tested and working before my purchase. In each instance, the module worked for periods of several days to several months before failing. A few weeks ago I read on this forum about rebooting the system by disconnecting the battery for five to ten minutes. The first time I tried this, it worked for several days. I then tried it again, and the reboot has now been working for ten days. I hope the window continues to work, but I’m doubtful because the battery reboot failed after a period of time for some other users of this forum.
It appears that the problem is not the control module, not is it a short or loose connection in the system because the battery reboot appears to always result in the module working again, at least temporarily, and it appears unlikely that a reboot could fix a short or a loose connection. Another thread on this forum (99 xjr drivers window / sunroof electrical - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum) suggests that low voltage from the battery, possibly during cranking, may cause failure of the retention system in the control module. Does anyone know what the real culprit is?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ElseyM
It appears that the problem is not the control module, not is it a short or loose connection in the system because the battery reboot appears to always result in the module working again, at least temporarily, and it appears unlikely that a reboot could fix a short or a loose connection. Another thread on this forum (99 xjr drivers window / sunroof electrical - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum) suggests that low voltage from the battery, possibly during cranking, may cause failure of the retention system in the control module. Does anyone know what the real culprit is?
I have yet to take one of the control modules apart to see if they contain any capacitors...just an idea to the problem on how it works some times but over time failing. Maybe someone with hands on experience can shed some light on the internals.

BTW, do you find this happening only on the drivers control module?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Driver control module fix.

Thanks guys!

I've replaced this module twice already and was about to replace it a third time when I read about the RESET trick in this thread. I tried it and it worked for my '98 VDP!

My blood pressure is back to normal and I'm no longer planning a fire sale!

Jaguar Forums rules!

Old 10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Default Repeated Resetting the Electrical Systems Resets the Window Module

My driver's window control module has been repeatedly failing since my first post here in May 2012. After a failure, I reset or reboot the system by disconnecting one battery cable for a few minutes. When I re-attach the battery cable, the window module works again. But it lasts only a few days to a few weeks, and then I have to reset the system again. Recently, I've had a battery switch installed, which allows me to easily turn off (disconnect) the battery and then easily switch it back on after a minute or two, thereby resetting or rebooting the electrical system. I just tried it a moment ago, and it worked fine. My driver's side window now functions again. But I've still not found out what is causing the module failures. Does anyone know the cause?

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Hi, I just purcased a 2002 XJ8 and have nothing working on my rear passengers door .. no window no locking or puddle light I know they are all on the same control unit and have checked all the fuses and relays and all seem fine ... I even changed the door control module from the other side and both work on the good door so not that... today I took the trim off to look at the wireing connections behind the door piller and all seems fine!!! but still nothing working on this door ... I dont want to start pulling anything else apart before looking into other options .... oh I also did a reset by removing the negative post on the battery for 20 mins but no joy ... can anyone help ... cheers Colin

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hi colincantwait
I extracted the Passenger Rear Door Control Module Wiring Diagrams from the 2001 XJ Wiring Guide PDF file into this JPEG file (click on the weblink, then to get a clear/better view of the info - just click on image):

Updated JPEG - moved file from photobucket.com to dropbox.com (better image viewing)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfq8zxvoch...ng%20InfoB.jpg

It looks like it starts with the Passenger (RH) Heelboard Fuse Box - Fuse 15, then goes to the Passenger Front Door Module, then to Passenger Rear Door Control Module.

Did you use the Fuse Puller/Tester that is in the Trunk Fusebox to test fuse# 15 in the RH Heelboard Fusebox?

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-15-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:04 AM

Hello Jim, thanks for your reply ... In answere to your question yes I did remove the fuse and even replaced it with a new fuse .. I have checked everything 3 times and even swapped the relay with another but I assume this relay covers all the doors so would assume that no doors would work if this was a problem ... I was wondering if the main body control box or the drivers door module was a problem I just don't want to start pulling them apart in case they fail to work afterwards ... It is a puzzle and without a way of testing the wire connection that goes to the door from the door piller or even a diagnostic tool which I assume a jag dealer will have I am stumped .. But I am willing to try the hard reset that has been mentioned on here just worried that this may upset something else. Will ponder on this a bit longer before trying something else .. Unless you have another idea cheers Colin

Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Sorry to butt in guys, having read your posts it appears no one has mentioned the actual state of the battery itself or whether the grounds have been checked for cleanliness and security.
As you are probably aware, these cars rely on having a fully serviceable battery in order to maintain the sensitive electronics.
Whenever I have had to disconnect plugs from modules, I always find it advisable to disconnect the negative of the battery first.
Upside to this is no inadvertant shorts or groundings and it also leads to a reset anyway.

Just a thought, again sorry to butt in.

colincantwait (12-16-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

I added this additional posting to let viewers get a clearer look at the information and also to try to give possible other testing that will lead to some kind of resolution.

You probably can see if there is power going into the Passenger Rear Door Control Module by using some kind of circuit tester (test light). The Blue wire (U) is negetive (-) and the Yellow wire (Y) is postive (+) - both of these wires come from the Passenger Front Door Control (my observation from viewing the wiring diagrams in the JPEG file).

Also all these Door Control Modules are programmed to perform a number of certain functions probably related to that particular door.

The JEPC (Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog) shows these front and rear door modules as unprogrammed (to me that means that a new door module has to be programmed for a particular door operations before it can function properly).

I am not an expert, just trying to apply the information gathered.

Passenger Rear Door Control Module Wiring Diagrams from the 2001 XJ Wiring Guide PDF file into this JPEG file (click on the weblink, then to get a clear/better view of the info - just click on image):

Updated JPEG file now on dropbox.com (better image viewing - click on the weblink, then just click on image):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfq8zxvoch...ng%20InfoB.jpg

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-15-2012 at 08:19 AM.
colincantwait (12-16-2012)

Quick Reply: Drivers control module issues...no power How to