XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Suspension Options Super Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 PM
Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts
Talking Suspension Options Super Thread!

Options on Air Suspension Replacement

The air suspension seems to start failing and causing issues in the 80 -120k mile range, life of the parts also depends on your country and climate.
Typically the air leaks happen more when the weather gets cold, like snow weather, and the fronts seem to leak more than the rear sets.
(case in point, my own ’05 had no issues with the previous meticulous owner in Florida, as soon as it got below about 30* here, the leak occurred).

Basically you have two main options in replacing the Air Suspension.
You can either keep the same- keep the stock air suspension and fix with used or new parts…or you can go to coilovers (typical metal coil springs mounted over shocks- these are what most people picture when they hear springs and shocks).

I’m using pricing shipped to me in the US, as of my research in December of 2013…and, as usual, YMMV ☺

NOTE: Many times a simple leaking o-ring at the top of one of the shocks can cause an air leak and the suspension to drop. Search threads, or here is a good one of a typical jaguar owner problem:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-110808/
Thanks to member reysl for his good pics.

Major Option A) Keep it Riding On AIR

1) Do Nothing
Or the old mechanics trick - cover the red dash light with a piece of electrical tape and tell everyone it’s a ‘low rider’ ☺
Cost: Zero

2) Replace with Used sets
Overall: cheapest option but you’ll probably be back in the same boat
Cost: $400-800 or $100-$400 per each shock/spring assembly
Pros: cost.
Cons: they’re used, miles often unknown. You’ll eventually end up in the same boat.
Where to buy: Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a search engine for what we in the US call, junk yards.
Motorkars has them for $400 each.
used-c2c41340 - Used Air Spring

3) New Original Equipment Bilstein sets
Overall: the priciest option, but exactly ‘what Jaguar intended’.
Cost: Dealer List is $4-5,000+ for all 4 corners. Plus install. They often just replace the leaking fronts or rears, but price can be $1,300 a corner.
Others: Car Steering Wholesale has the real deal on ebay for $3,600 for all 4 and have good feedback.
Pros: Back to factory fresh!
Cons: Cost. Priciest option.
Warranty: Dealers typically offer 1 year on new parts; YMMV.
Where to Buy: The local dealer will be happy to help you.
Gaudin Jaguar has them for $1,000 each plus shipping
Direct JPLV Porsche Parts.com
Rack and Pinion, Gear Box items in Car Steering Wholesale store on eBay!

3) Arnott Rebuilt sets
Overall: common fix; good bang for the buck over new or dealer pricing.
Cost: $1,660 (all 4 with shipping; including $200 rebate and a $75 discount as a jaguar forum member; see the Vendors section)
Pros: Keeps the air suspension and the CATS automatic shock adjustability. The airbag (spring) portion is a new Goodyear bladder per Arnott,
Cons: The shock (Bilstein) is a used unit; my experience in other makes is that Bilsteins last 80-120k miles, so you don’t know the miles on the rebuilt shocks you’re getting
Warranty: Lifetime thru Arnott, which seem to be good, but you’ll pay for the labor to replace one.
Where to Buy:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...20_pid136.html

4) Arnott New sets
Overall:. New shock and spring, with improved airbag design
Cost: $1,860 (same extras as above)
Pros: All new. Arnott claims improved seals.
Cons: You lose the CATS automatically adjustable shock suspension system. Unknown shock make (their own shock?). Bilstein claims they 'are inferior'.
Warranty: Lifetime thru Arnott (who seems good about honoring)
Where to Buy:
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...20_pid136.html

Option B) Make the switch to COILOVERS

Overall:. You take out the air suspension and replace it with steel springs and shocks. Drops the air suspension so no more issues from a fairly complicated system of pump, lines, sensors and electronics.
Cost: Varied, but all in the general ballpark, see below.
Pros: Cost. No more electrical or air leak gremlins lurking in the Jag.
Cons: You lose the air suspension. Opinions are varied, but the general consensus seems to be that your Jag will ride a little rougher. No more self leveling or the CATS doing it’s funky suspension thing.

UPDATE: I've contacted all three makers of the coil over systems, and gotten some information; but very little else. They either do not know or will not share their spring rates or manufacture etc.

1) Arnott Industries Coilovers
Cost: $1,365
(with $200 rebate on air shocks and member discount)
Pros: Arnott is the big name in the air suspension replacement area.
Cons: Arnott has a mixed bag of reviews. Some car forums don’t like them as having too many leaks/problems, others rave. They seem to have some issues but work to improve them. They do have a good reputation for honoring their warranties and they have nice videos to help you install.
Shocks: *update. Their Own. Per emails with Arnott, they originally used Bilstein shocks but now use their own shocks (thus why I can see a bilstein logo on the shock used on their website)
CNC machined aluminum upper hats.
Springs: Rate unknown. Origins unknown.
Warranty: Limited Lifetime to original purchaser for US customers.
Where to buy: https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...ml#prettyPhoto

2) Black Dog Industries Coilovers
Cost: $1,695

Pros: The originator (they tell me) of the coil over air suspension replacement. Subcompany of Motorkars Ltd which as been a Jaguar aftermarket parts supplier for a long time.
Cons: Not too many installed, reviews limited
Shocks: Bilstein. Steel upper mount (?)
Springs: Spring Rates; 'never been asked'; don't know, matched to stock probably. ‘Overseas’ manufacture.
Warranty: 1 year
Where to buy:
asc.kit.xj8 - Air Suspension Conversion Kit

3) StrutMasters Coilovers
Cost: $1,222

Pros: known shocks and spring makes. StrutMasters has been around a while, and only does springs and strut combos for a laundry list of makes.
Cons: few installs; one Jag owner has unfinished shock machining; strutmasters made good to him.
Shocks: Bilstein.
Springs: Rates 'proprietary'. Eibach springs (quality)
Warranty: Lifetime limited to original owner (not for wear and tear)
Where to buy:
Air Suspension > Jaguar XJ8 & XJR (JA14F)
Strutmasters has told Jag forum members that their kit does not work with a VDP, but that is simply wrong. It will fit just fine (I think ☺)

BONUS OPTION!!!

Heck, if you’ve read this far, I figure you deserve a bone. ☺ For those who like to choose a different path, or just like to ‘make things work’ and save some bucks.
Here’s an interesting thread where the member installed a used jaguar coilover set from an S type:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...version-79499/

SexyBeast is the user (fun movie I recall- Yes, yes, YES, YES, YES! ,YES!!).
That thread gave me the theory that the coilovers sets sold above for the XJ8 are simply reworked S type coilovers; it appears you’d only need to machine new top hats. Notice they all use Bilstein shocks. Weights I’ve looked up are within 100lbs; S type 3,826 lbs; XJ8 3,726 lbs. Negligible.

Good luck with your suspension choices!!!

AIR PUMP HELP:
Air pumps seem to be as much of an issue as the spring leaks.
If you go to the dealer, the pump seems to be ~$900 new.
There are a few cheaper places to buy new pumps, and also you can rebuild you own pump - typically the seal is what wears out, and a very engineering man in the UK sells a kit to rebuild it yourself.
The original manufacturer is Wabco; they also make the pump for Audi, Mercedes and other euro makes of the same time frame.
COST: $50 to rebuild, and up to $900 for a new pump
WHERE TO BUY:
Dealer
Arnott Industries, new wabco pump ~$500 shipped
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...36_gid527.html
FPC Euro has the pump, new wabco (from Arnott incidentally) for ~$394 shipped
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jagu...rnott-c2c27702

Rebuild Kit:
bagpipe Andy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-XJ6...-/161120429299
he is quick and shipped over to the US is $50 (I know because I just ordered one).
He has a nice video on how to install the new seal, it looks fairly easy.

Last edited by rosskuhns; 02-10-2014 at 07:30 PM. Reason: updates
The following 21 users liked this post by rosskuhns:
1 of 19 (10-02-2015), anindyam (02-06-2014), biggieslicky (02-07-2014), blindboy (06-10-2015), byrdlimo (01-03-2016), Cambo (08-29-2014), Clamdigger (02-22-2014), danveenstra (09-01-2014), Finzi Holst (12-25-2017), Jag nut (02-12-2016), Jagsta (09-30-2014), JimC64 (08-29-2014), lcmjaguar (08-29-2014), olddavidp (02-20-2022), ooootis (08-30-2014), Panthro (03-14-2016), pkoko (12-10-2015), RDMinor (02-06-2015), tailfin joe (01-08-2015), Thang Nguyen (09-19-2017), trosty (02-12-2014) and 16 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Another option.....

New-old stock Original Equipment from eBay
Overall: fairly cheap, and exactly ‘what Jaguar intended’.
Cost: Dealer: not available
Others: eBay price in the UK around £200 incl shipping (=$326)
Pros: Almost back to factory fresh!
Cons: No warranty at all.
Warranty: None.
Where to Buy: eBay

I now have four in my garage awaiting fitting, but I have to wait a bit with my "other" repairs as described recently. Front shock bushes also need replacing, so will be done when these are fitted.

The following users liked this post:
1 of 19 (10-02-2015)
Old 02-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Default good find

That's a good one Fraser - I'd not even heard those were available! Very viable option, will have to see if we can find some on ebay to link to, and add it as an option.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by rosskuhns
That's a good one Fraser - I'd not even heard those were available! Very viable option, will have to see if we can find some on ebay to link to, and add it as an option.
Well, my tongue was firmly in cheek when I wrote the above, as finding new OEM air springs on the eBay market is like looking for hen's teeth. Yes, they are rare !! So I thought I was very fortunate to find a complete set just before Christmas, but from two separate traders on eBay, a pair of fronts, and a pair of rears. All of them have their residual air pressure in them put in at manufacture to keep the flexible diaphragms in the right position, however, I'll only know they work when they are fitted.

I had some rather more urgent work to get done just after Christmas, on the brakes and on the ghastly plastic coolant components, as you'll see from my post "My cup runneth over"

Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I would appreciate any comments regarding either the Arnott or Blackdog coil over springs working with the later models 350 and 358. I've noticed with at least the Arnott info, and perhaps the Blackdog as well, something about applying only through the model year 2006. As an owner of an XJ8L '08, I am wondering what changed for my model year or what extra steps may be needed for my car to complete the change to coil overs. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm approaching 60,000 miles and I hear this faint tick, tick, tick coming from the garage. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Excellent summary. Thanks!

I would add one bit - if it's your compressor causing issues, one could try BagPipingAndy's rebuild kit for a quick and cheap fix first.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by x358x250
I would appreciate any comments regarding either the Arnott or Blackdog coil over springs working with the later models 350 and 358. I've noticed with at least the Arnott info, and perhaps the Blackdog as well, something about applying only through the model year 2006. As an owner of an XJ8L '08, I am wondering what changed for my model year or what extra steps may be needed for my car to complete the change to coil overs. Any comments would be appreciated. I'm approaching 60,000 miles and I hear this faint tick, tick, tick coming from the garage. Thanks.
They should work, however, there seems to be a change in the electronics and the airbag light will stay on; on the '05 and earlier you can simply unplug the computer behind the rear seat and no light. Arnott has no work around currently or anyone else that I know of...there is a thread about it recently...

ah, here it is:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-110745/

too bad. I'm sure eventually they or one of our electrical gurus here will figure it out.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 AM
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

Good thread! Did anyone try combo spring-front/air-rear like on new X351? I'm looking to change just fronts to fix that well known problems on big bumps. Can CAT control just rears? Thanks for the info and thoughts.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:31 PM

That would be nice Sochi.

*I just updated the thread; some new info on coil overs, and I added info about the air pumps.

I contacted all of the coil over dealers and they were not very open with information, or just don't know. A bit of a shame.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:27 PM

* i just read an old thread where someone had called Arnott on their rebuilt stock shocks/air springs and they said in the past, they had reused the original shocks (bilstein) but now they replace the shocks with their own shocks.

Anyone gotten rebuilt stockers from Arnott and noted the shocks on them recently?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:21 PM

per emailing with the Arnott head tech, the 'rebuilt' air suspension come with rebuilt Bilsteins (the stock shocks) and the "new' arnott air suspension comes with new Arnott shocks made in their plant in Florida.

Also, they have come up with a fix for the later chassis (x358) air suspension light on the coil over conversions - the only manufacturer.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...20_pid208.html
cool.

*I also note that Arnott is currently NOT buying used jaguar air suspensions. This may change in the future. It appears they do take your used shocks in when you buy the rebuilt air suspensions, as they still have a core deposit.

Ross

Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 AM
Xag
Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

What I'm missing in this !very nice! summary is that you first have to take the time to diagnose what's actually the problem with your air suspension. Contrary to a conventional spring/damper setup there are more part in the air suspension that can cause a problem. I think to many people make statements about the X350 air suspension from hearsay instead of using logic to determine what's actually wrong. Sometimes a $10 relay is all that's wrong.

Guus

kenknowles (09-14-2014)
Old 05-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Warning about Black Dog "improved" neoprene upper bushing kit.

The original bushings were perishing on my 2000 XK8 and I purchased the Black Dog "Improved" neoprene bushing kit. For those who are not familiar with this - it is a circular upper shock bushing contained within two steel mounting plates that are pop rivet together and then fastened to the car at the top of the shock. I disassembled the original, Cleaned and painted the bushing plates, installed the new neoprene bushing and pop riveted them together. I then went to bed for the night and left them beside the vehicle on the garage floor.

The next day when I came back to install these upper bushings both neoprene bushings had split totally through on the sides. This was before they were even installed on the shock. I could not understand if they were properly designed how they could split when they were in a fixed position between two plates without any forces from the suspension. It is an obvious fault in their design if it self-destructs this easily. I contacted Black Dog several times with no response.

I would be extremely careful about dealing with that company. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it OK to drive it with it blown. or will it damage anything

one shock on front of 2004 vanden plas blew. Can I drive it 40 miles to shop, or should I tow it?

Old 09-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Did the shock itself blow or the air bladder? Basically you either lost the shock or the spring (air bladder).
The air bladder seems to be what goes more often, meaning you'll be riding on the bump stops...if you were VERY careful and stayed on back roads, slow speeds you could drive it I think (I had to drive mine a few times to the store when the front shocks had not pumped up - its very harsh and will bottom if you hit a pothole or anything).

Otherwise, just tow it, got AAA?

rocknrollteddy (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM

Thanks... it will go up, but leak if you pull up on fender.. thanks.. backroads at night... good advice. Thanks..

Old 09-16-2015, 08:27 AM

UPDATE:

Too old of a thread to let me edit it, but Arnott is not selling rebuilt original Jaguar shocks at this time.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks to all for the information and questions. I have a 2005 VDP with 177k on it. Occasionally I get an "air suspension" fault annunciation. Have checked ride level at all 4 corners - when motor running and no "air Suspension" fault showing, car running with fault showing, immediately after shut down and after sitting for several days. There was no difference so I have assumed that the shocks are not leaking. So it must be a pump fault. But after sitting for a couple months I have gotten "low" annunciation but it went away after a few minutes of running so there may be some slow leak in shock(s).

I have no experience with suppliers and shocks but purchased an "updated" neoprene upper front shock bushing rebuild kit from Black Dog for my 2000 XK8. After replacing the old perished foam bushing I left the unit in my garage next to the shock for the night. When I returned the next morning to install the unit - the neoprene was split in two places. I could not believe it - here it was riveted between two metal units (no possibility of my over stressing it) and it had not even been installed, yet it split without any forces from the shock motions!! I contacted the vendor and did not even get a reply. So I would highly question their customer service or their claims. Take care.
ROb

Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 AM

Cool. I got new arnott airshock for $444 on google shopping... and found someone to quote putting it on for $150 labor.. gonna drive at night slow in a couple days to the shop...

Last edited by rocknrollteddy; 09-16-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:23 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

I'd also add it's confirmed that the Strutmasters kit works well with the VDP. I have them on mine.

Quick Reply: Suspension Options Super Thread!