XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

11 Xj supercharged help with fob!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 Xj supercharged help with fob!

Hey Guys!
I am experiencing some issues with the key fob of 2011 XJ Supercharged vehicle with push start ignition
So the vehicle was purchased at auction with no key
The locksmith purchased a key that has one side silver, and programmed it with MVP programmer
Only the remote functions worked but the key wouldn't start the car! We though it was a battery issue and replaced the battery but still couldn't start the ignition
Then we looked in the car's booklet and it showed that the right key is an oval shaped, fat key that has a U shaped silver part on it that opens like a clam
Then the locksmith had it with him, that key, the insert key was on the right side
and still the programming didn't work
what can be the issue? is that a key issue? why wouldn't the fob crank the ignition?
if someone can please shed some light i would really appreciate it@

Old 11-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts
Default Orphaned Key Fob

Read this thread: www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/key-fob-191277/

And this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...b-cost-191848/

A used Jaguar Smartkey fob is like a child who get separated from their birth parent and was taught to not talk to strangers. However, if their memory is cleared of the link with their birth parent, they can be taught (paired) with a new parent using the proprietary Jaguar software by a Jaguar dealer or indy technician who has that software.

Your locksmith didn't know what he was doing.

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-17-2017 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 11-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Received 170 Likes on 160 Posts

Your saying that the doors could be locked and unlocked but only the remote start would not function? If that's the case then perhaps the problem lies with the car. I haven't looked into it with the Jag but my other car says remote start will not work if the check engine light is on or... several other things. Perhaps a look in the owners manual for your car will shed some light. Look at the section for remote start and the conditions that must be met for it to work. There should be one in there somewhere.

Last edited by rhomanski; 11-17-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

So there are 2 types of fobs and both will work. In the OP you say "remote start" and that is confusing as that feature is only available from 2016 on, if I am correct. the question is will the car start when you are in it? If not then Stuart's answer is correct.

Attached Thumbnails 11 Xj supercharged help with fob!-img_0605.jpg   11 Xj supercharged help with fob!-img_0603.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by XJsss:
hafren (11-21-2017), Stuart S (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM

2016 and up for remote start? Jags a little late to the party, my 2011 GM has it. Thought maybe that was an option I didn't have like windshield heat.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You're so lucky you don't have windshield heat. You can see the little striations in the glass and it's very annoying esp at night.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:54 PM

I read that in a thread a couple weeks ago. I didn't remember seeing anything in my windshield but the replacement cost someone mentioned did scare me a little. Every windshield I've ever had has taken a rock at some point and had to be replaced. I got out the manual and my magnifying glass and memorized the location of the switch. Next time I drove it I found a piece of plastic and no switch.

I then thought about the thick wires in the back glass of my eighties cars and thought it might be a good thing. You've pretty much convinced me that's one option I don't really need. At least I've got the illumination package, that's all I'd really want more than stock. Thanks.

Sorry for the hijack and now back to our show.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by rhomanski
2016 and up for remote start? Jags a little late to the party, my 2011 GM has it. Thought maybe that was an option I didn't have like windshield heat.
Jaguar was a LOT late to this party! My first factory-installed remote start was on a 2006 Cadillac DTS. Also had it on a 2008 Chrysler Sebring convertible and a 2013 Ram 1500 pickup. I currently have it on my 2015 Mustang Convertible and my 2017 Lincoln Navigator. Sadly, of course, the Jaguar does not have this feature. Not only was it not available, my understanding is that there is no aftermarket remote starter that will work on a Jaguar. Go figure!

Dwayne

Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 225 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Morsilver
the key wouldn't start the car!

Programming a key to open/lock the doors is entirely separate from ignition/start. The key needs to be married to the cars security system (KVM module) via the jaguar dealer software. If the keys you bought are new they can be married, if the keys were previously used they may/may mot work but again to work have to be married via the jaguar dealer software.