XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

'13 XJL: Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '13 XJL: Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights

Hey Guys & Gals -

My apologies for the "newb" in me, but this is my first official post outside of the "newbie" area. I just became a proud owner of a 2013 XJL Supercharged w/ Rear Comfort Package (Polaris White Exterior w/ Ivory & Jet Black Trim Interior).

So far, the car has been wonderful to me. I'm getting between 26 and 28 MPG on the highway, and around 14-16 around town. I'm not much for the ECO feature, so I find myself turning that off every time I get into the car (stinks I can't permanently turn it off...unless someone has a suggestion for me?)

The only other thing that is a little irritating is that my vehicle did not come with the Daytime Running Lights turned on. I called up my Sales Professional, and he offered to turn it on for me free of charge, but I bought the car about 7 hours away from where I live, and just not willing to make the drive there just yet.

I'm glad I joined this forum, because I have discovered there is a difference between the daytime running lights and the LED Signature Lights underneath. What I really want are the Signature LED Lights to come on every time I start the car...NOT the Daytime Running Lights.

Do I have any options?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin

Old 03-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

im really pissed that Jaguar didnt do this from the start.

however i believe this was asked before, and unfortunately there is no simple way without taking apart the headlight and re-wiring it

Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dustincarter
I'm getting between 26 and 28 MPG on the highway, and around 14-16 around town.
Wow. I've never seen more than 22-23 mpg on the highway in my 2012. Is there that much of a change in the 2013s? (Full disclosure, I usually cruise at 80+ mph )

I agree with the frustration on daytime running lights, particularly since the 2012 XF has them, and they look really cool.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Just an observation.

If you were over here, the DRLs would be always on. (compulsory).

Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Guys & Gals -

My apologies for the "newb" in me, but this is my first official post outside of the "newbie" area. I just became a proud owner of a 2013 XJL Supercharged w/ Rear Comfort Package (Polaris White Exterior w/ Ivory & Jet Black Trim Interior).

So far, the car has been wonderful to me. I'm getting between 26 and 28 MPG on the highway, and around 14-16 around town. I'm not much for the ECO feature, so I find myself turning that off every time I get into the car (stinks I can't permanently turn it off...unless someone has a suggestion for me?)

The only other thing that is a little irritating is that my vehicle did not come with the Daytime Running Lights turned on. I called up my Sales Professional, and he offered to turn it on for me free of charge, but I bought the car about 7 hours away from where I live, and just not willing to make the drive there just yet.

I'm glad I joined this forum, because I have discovered there is a difference between the daytime running lights and the LED Signature Lights underneath. What I really want are the Signature LED Lights to come on every time I start the car...NOT the Daytime Running Lights.

Do I have any options?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin
26-28 MPG? Do you have a S/C v6?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Guys & Gals -

Do I have any options?

Thanks in advance!

Dustin
Dustin,

How are you getting 26-28 mpg's as I never get more than 23 in highway.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM

Wow...a lot of attention on the 26-28 mpg. I can't explain why, but here are my behaviors:

1) In Illinois, the speed limit is 65mph on the Interstate, so I typically (usually ALWAYS) set the cruise at 70-72. (And yes...I know the car is fully capable of going much faster than that, but I'd rather not meet every law enforcement official between here and where I travel).

2) I ONLY put in the Shell V-Power Premium Fuel in this vehicle.

3) I bought this vehicle in Memphis, TN, which is about 6.5-7 hours away from my house. On the way back, I set the cruise @ 71 all the way back home. The instantaneous mpg and the average hovered around 26 and 28 depending if I was going up a hill or not.

And yes...I was in shock myself.

This is a V8 S/C engine.

Picture attached.

D

Attached Thumbnails '13 XJL:  Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights-myjag.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

It's has to be the new 8-speed trans versus the old 6-speed trans and some corresponding refinement in the ECU.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
dok
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 XJL. Last year we took it on a 7,000 mile trip driving from Charlotte to California. I set trip A as I drove away from our house and reset trip B with each fillup. For the entire trip I averaged 28.0 mpg. On some tanks I got as high as 29.6. On 3 tanks I did a manual calculation and always came within a tenth or 2 of the computer. I usually drove 5-7 mph above the posted limit.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:47 AM

So...back to my original question. I see that someone said it was a complicated wiring situation, but does anyone else have any advice/commentary on how to have the Signature LED lights (NOT THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS) turn on when the car starts up? I can't believe Jaguar treated the XJ differently than the XF in this regard. The LED's on the XF are amazing! The XJ would stand out that much more with them on.

D

Old 03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Picture attached.
Are those wheels chrome or just polished? They look great!

In regards to the lights, even if there is a hack for them to be on all the time, I'd be careful because LEDs need very constant power, and if those LEDs are not designed to be on at their brightest all the time, they will burn. LED clusters made to be DLRs have special heat sinks. Heat build up is the biggest LED enemy.

Last edited by Maybe_XJ; 03-23-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Polished

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow...a lot of attention on the 26-28 mpg. I can't explain why, but here are my behaviors:

1) In Illinois, the speed limit is 65mph on the Interstate, so I typically (usually ALWAYS) set the cruise at 70-72. (And yes...I know the car is fully capable of going much faster than that, but I'd rather not meet every law enforcement official between here and where I travel).
D
Total side note, but did Central IL finally move into the 2000's by upping the speed limit to 65? I'm originally from NE IL where it had always been 55. Once you hit WI did it step up to 65.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Yes...it's 65 on the Interstates and has been for as long as I can remember.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't believe Jaguar treated the XJ differently than the XF in this regard. The LED's on the XF are amazing! The XJ would stand out that much more with them on.
I agree. Unfortunately, according to my dealer, the XJ and XF light units are entirely different, even thought they look the same, and there's no way to set the XJ LED's separately.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

No contribution to the LED discussion from me but, just to say CONGRATRS for the gorgeous ride.

Looks like the 8-sp tranny is making it possible to get the same fantastic highway mileage with the SC as with my 2012, 6-sp NA XJL. My 2500 miles average now sits at 25.4 MPG, a combination of 90% freeway driving and 10 percent spirited, non-stop hill/winding road driving.

Albert

Old 03-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I just picked up my new XJ supercharged yesterday. I have to buy it from a dealer 500 miles away as there are very few left in the country. Drove it back over 8 hours.

I never knew the LED lights were not on, too bad. I don't want all the lights on all the time, so I will just leave it. I hate the Eco function too. It may be OK on the V6, but nt good on the big SC V8. Otherwise an exceptional car though.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM

I'm right there with you XJSC...I realize the Eco feature may save me a little bit...but I just can't get over the vehicle sounding like it "died" when I come to a stop only to have it start right back up again. In the Summer, when other drivers are on the roadway with their windows down, it's going to sound like my car died and I'm having to start it back up again. You're right...it may be less noisy on the V6, but that V8 starting back up again makes some noice and has a presence.

Does anyone know how to get it to stay turned off when I start the vehicle? I'm already in a habit of hitting the button right after I start up my car, but it would be nice not to have to do that long-term.

D

Old 03-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I finally got to experience it in a friend's new BMW and I can't stand it. It probably uses more fuel restarting the car.
It can be very dangerous in certain situation, where instant throttle is needed to avoid incidents.

Dustin,
Have you talked to the dealer to possibly disable it? I am sure it's just a software.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

What a horrible feature. Engineers say that most wear occurs while starting a vehicle, so I can't imagine how they let something like this make it to market.

Quick Reply: '13 XJL: Daytime Running Lights vs. Signature Lights