XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2011 XJL service required light reset

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 XJL service required light reset

My 2011 XJL service required light recently illuminated. I have 51k miles. Is there a way to simply reset the light or do I need to bring it into the shop?

Old 11-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up Service Required Reset

I asked the question a month or so ago. The most common answer seemed to be a "Mongoose Cable" connecting to your OBD II port from a notebook, Then, there are apparently some bootlegged earl version of Jag's diag software that should allow you to do it. I went a different route, and contacted the Manufacturer of a scanner specifically loaded with Jag/Land Rover software to verify it would work. They said it would, and it worked great. It is a Foxwell NT510 Land Rover/Jaguar, and costs around $150.00. Reads many other codes as well as change several settings.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can it be done using Carista app on app store?
you will also need a cheap Wifi ELM327 adapter which plugs in to the OBD II port if it can be done

Old 11-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Default Service Required Reset

I looked at the OBD2 apps, and did not see where any did it. The Carista App may, but they show it as an Advanced Feature that is available with the pro version at $9.99 per week or $39.99 per year subscription. OBD2 functions are the only things that are free. I went with the hand held device, since the manufacturer stated in answer to my emailed question that it would reset it, and it did. It also does the brake reset, reads chassis codes, etc.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have that app if I get chance I'll have a look for you

Old 11-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Damon_Silvestry
My 2011 XJL service required light recently illuminated. I have 51k miles. Is there a way to simply reset the light or do I need to bring it into the shop?
Is the car possibly in need of service? That's what the light is there for- in case you forget or don't know.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 AM

In my case, I just bought the car from a dealer, certified and serviced, and they forgot to reset the reminder. Knowing I will be doing my own oil changes/routine service, I didn't want to drive an hour back to have it reset, since I need to do it on my own in the future. I figured there had to be a simple procedure, like on many cars, but my search of and question in the forums found no answer.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

The XF has a manual sequence to reset the service alert. So I'd be pretty sure the XJ has the same. Look on the XF board (X250) as someone posted it just this week. It could even be the same sequence.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM

I've searched these and other boards high and low. There is a procedure that works for XF, a different procedure that works with the NEWEST gen of XJ Gas cars, yet a different one that works for this generation Diesel cars, but none work with this date range gas cars. If anyone has anything to the contrary, I'd love to try it, but thus far, the reset through the OBD II port is the only thing that worked.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Enosgl, where did you purchase your Foxwell NT510? I have a similar situation. My car was serviced at the dealership last December. Then in May it suffered a head gasket failure. It was repaired by the dealership under warranty and, according to the paperwork that was delivered back to me with the car in June, they replaced the oil and filter when they put everything back together. It was apparently at that point that they did not reset the reminder because it just came on over the weekend. My dealership is two hours away and, while I know everything is up to date and the car runs great, I don't really want to look at that reminder for six more months! It has only been driven about 2000 miles since it was returned and a total of about 4500 miles since the December 2015 service, so it should be good on both time and mileage. Oil level is perfect. For $150 I wouldn't mind owning one of those scanners; sounds like a decent investment.

Dwayne

Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 AM

They are on ebay for a few dollars less:

For LAND ROVER Full System OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool FOXWELL NT510 | eBay

I paid I think $170 on Amazon simply because I had a bunch of gift cards I wanted to get rid of. It is a scanner that can run other makes' software, as well. They "sell" the upgrades for $60 for most other brands, and they are downloadable on line. They also give you a year of free updates, which are applied via USB cable. It supposedly does the brake resets and many other things as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Enosgl
They are on ebay for a few dollars less:

For LAND ROVER Full System OBD2 Scanner Diagnostic Scan Tool FOXWELL NT510 | eBay

I paid I think $170 on Amazon simply because I had a bunch of gift cards I wanted to get rid of. It is a scanner that can run other makes' software, as well. They "sell" the upgrades for $60 for most other brands, and they are downloadable on line. They also give you a year of free updates, which are applied via USB cable. It supposedly does the brake resets and many other things as well.
Found it on Amazon for $168 with free shipping. Went ahead and ordered it. Thanks so much for the help!

Dwayne

Old 04-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello I have the 2011 XJL also and trying to get that darn service engine light off were you able to do it yourself or did you need a scan tool?? :-(

Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure you actually service the engine the light comes on for a reason not just novelty.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:30 AM

Sold the damn thing screw Jag nothing to do with Jaguar anymore and loving it

Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Bri's Jag
Sold the damn thing screw Jag nothing to do with Jaguar anymore and loving it
Was the service light simply the last straw?

Old 05-24-2020, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Was the service light simply the last straw?
it was the Bain of my existance. All i did was get another set of Jag rims and tires from amother XJL easy swap put right on, then the next 4 month nightmare began trying to get the Tpm service light out. Went to 4 Discount tires, 3 Goodyear shops no luck had to go to dealer. Turns out all the tpm sensors MUST be Oem original $150 each, aftermarket didn't work I tried, tires dismounted and each individually coded programmed to the Ecm. $975 to get the fukn light off.. God forbid Jaguar makes it to where only Oem can be used, not aftermarket and good forbid its a simple drive to program. It was a beautiful car but Sold the damn thing so I'm done.. screw Jag