XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2012 iPhone audio issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2012 iPhone audio issues

Just got home from Rusnak with the wife's new 2012 XJ ..
So far the only issue is playing music from her iPhone5 -

When plugged in, it plays fine but then automatically seems to try to switch to bluetooth (according to the iPhone) .. if we unplug and switch to BlueTooth audio, the music plays but then stops and skips a lot..
How can I:
1) make it stay on the wired connection (seems like a phone setting?)
or
2) fix the bluetooth streaming from skipping
?

Last edited by Randy; 11-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy
Just got home from Rusnak with the wife's new 2012 XJ ..
So far the only issue is playing music from her iPhone5 -

When plugged in, it play fine but then automatically seems to try to switch to bluetooth (according to the iPhone) .. if we unplug and switch to BlueTooth audio, the music plays but then stops and skips a lot..
How can I:
1) make it stay on the wired connection (seems like a phone setting?)
or
2) fix the bluetooth streaming from skipping
?
My iPhone 5 skips alot too. It seems like it does it more the farther away the phone is from the screen. At first I thought it was an iOS issue but now I am thinking it is a bluetooth issue. Hopefully a firmware update can fix it. 6.0.1 didn't. As far as number one I sometimes had this issue with my iPhone 4. I think this either the Jaguars software connection with the iPhone or iOS implementation with the cars software. I will say this. I had a Volvo rental car for a bit while the Jag was in the shop and the bluetooth audio was flawless with the iPhone 4. Take that for what its worth.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Audio

I have a 1 year old 2012 xjl and an I phone 4. First of all I never have used the cord for my I phone for audio steaming. I only stream music wireless via Bluetooth. I have had no problems until I went from 6.0 to 6.0.1 Then the music began to stop and skip and then completely stop. Went to the apple store and begged to go back to 6.0. They said it was impossible and that possibly my 6.0.1 update was corrupted. The only solution was to restore the phone and take the 6.0.1 download again. It was a pain but it worked. Has been a few days and its working fine. So I don't think it's a jaguar issue. It seems to me if you want to play music with the cord connected u must turn off Bluetooth but then your phone wouldn't work for calls? Seems to me if you don't want to stream wirelessly via Bluetooth with an iPhone then you probably need to plug in your iPod. Any thoughts?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the full restore today and it did not make a bit of difference..
and yes, it looks like the only way to plug-in and not have the iphone automatically switch to streaming is to disable bluetooth on the phone or the car, either leaving you with no bluetooth phone calls either..
From what i've read at the apple forums, it does appear to be iOS 6 related, having to do with the newer Bluetooth version.. or something..affecting other types of blue tooth devices and other cars.

Last edited by Randy; 11-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes, my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1 is skipping on the Bluetooth unless the phone is sitting in the cup holders. iPhone 4 running 6.0.0 didn't have the issue

Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure this is NOT an iphone firmware issue. When you have the phone connected to the car via Bluetooth while at the same time trying to play back music through the wire usb ipod connection, it is the car that is causing the problems. Indeed, the car automatically switches the input from USB to Bluetooth, while the phone continues to play back through the usb port. There's something in the car's computer code that is making it switch, because the phone would not be giving it that information. This ought to be a simple programming fix, but I doubt we'll see it done.
I complained to the dealer about it, and they tried to sell me an ipod nano to use instead of playing back music through my phone. LOL.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:33 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi. I have a 2012 XJ S/C. My iPhone 5 has been running 7.x since I go the car and I haven't had any issues with Bluetooth streaming at all. My daughter has an iPhone 4S also running iOS 7.x and there are no issues with her iPhone either. We just went on a 5 hour trip together and she streamed music for about 4 hours and I don't recall any skipping issues at all.

Rob

Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
xjb
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't have the problem until a major version update to iOS. Not technically firmware, but for me at least it certainly seems to be a change in the OS as opposed to the car.

Originally Posted by rawdeal
I'm pretty sure this is NOT an iphone firmware issue. When you have the phone connected to the car via Bluetooth while at the same time trying to play back music through the wire usb ipod connection, it is the car that is causing the problems. Indeed, the car automatically switches the input from USB to Bluetooth, while the phone continues to play back through the usb port. There's something in the car's computer code that is making it switch, because the phone would not be giving it that information. This ought to be a simple programming fix, but I doubt we'll see it done.
I complained to the dealer about it, and they tried to sell me an ipod nano to use instead of playing back music through my phone. LOL.