XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2013 xj v6 Eco start/stop - driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2013 xj v6 Eco start/stop - driving impressions

My 2012 xjl v8 is in the shop. Got a 2013 SWB xj v6 with Eco start/stop as a loaner. Impressions. The SWB doesn't feel as luxurious as the long wheel base. The v6 seems a little choppy and not as smooth. Enough power but you really have to gun it. The Eco start system is terrible. Feels like a go cart starting and stopping while you are in traffic or at stoplights. It's the worst thing ever. You can sort of outsmart it if you don't press the brake ll the way down or you have to turn it off manually when you start the car.

My impressions. Don't like the V6. Or the Eco start/stop

The following users liked this post:
Executive (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

They down size the engine for better fuel economy, but then we find ourselves flooring it much more often. Which defeats the whole purpose, that's why I believe those engines do not belong in luxury vehicles.

The whole eco start/stop feature is idiotic, but I guess that's what they have to do to meet government regulations.

Interestingly enough, I was watching 20 minutes design film last night on the 2014 S class, and supposedly the system is extremely quite and unnoticeable. As they don't want the echelons, who is their target market feel like as if they were riding in broken car with vibrations going through it.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Default 2013 Start stop

Exactly. The vibration on the Jaguar start /stop on the 2013 xj is horrendous and very annoying. I didn't mention that my 2012 XJL is in the shop for the 5 th repair on the panoramic roof rattle. I contacted Jaguar North America again about this problem. It's not comforting when they say the fix has worked for everyone else. But not my car. I'm pushing for a new car. Definitely would never buy a Jaguar again.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Really sorry to read about the issues you are having. From what i have garnered on the forums, for the most part Jaguar NA has provided good customer service to the members with major vehicle problems. Hopefully they conduct the same for you.

Have you contacted Mike@Jaguar to see if he could land a hand?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Default 2013 start stop

This is the 3 rd open case with jaguar North America. Same thing each time. All they really do is tell the dealership to fix it. Dropped it off this morning. Rode with a quality control rep at the dealer. He acknowledged it still made terrible noise. He said Jaguar North America said to fix it. Seems like the only way to get a new car or buy out is if the dealership says they can't fix it. And it seems like they are unwilling to do that. Probably because they don't want to admit they can't fix it. So they will probably take the headliner down for the 5 th time replace clips/assembly's/screws etc just as they did in previous attempts. I think if it was an engine or safety issue it would have been declared a lemon. But not for rattles. Even though its a known problem. Some cars have it some don't. Jaguar has also had problems with xf noisy sunroofs.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had a 2013 XJ V6 loaner for a day and agree with you about the vibration when the Eco start/stop does it's thing. It didn't take long to get used to modulating the brake pedal to avoid the engine shutting off but it was still annoying. I had the opportunity to drive a 2014 S550 last week and while it was really a great car, (so much so that I am seriously considering buying one), the Eco start/stop had only slightly less vibration when the engine restarts than the Jaguar.
Sorry to hear about the sunroof noise coming back Venture. I had that problem too and it appears fixed after two attempts. But, I had a clicking sound in the headliner above the drivers door that got progressively worse as temp got below 50. Thought it was fixed last spring after three attempts. Now that weather is getting cool it is starting again.