XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 XJ Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 XJ Roof Rack

Is there a roof rack that fits newer XJ's? Mine is a 2016 XJL. Going on a trip and need more cargo space.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

I wouldn't put anything on the glass roof. You might be able to find a small, universal rack that'll fit on the trunk lid, but you'll block the rear view and only be able to put one suitcase on it.

I would take less stuff. If that's not possible, then I'd rent a larger vehicle for the trip.

Old 04-07-2019, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

I'll second Stuart's proposal. Common sense says that attaching any sort of roof rack to an XJ is just looking for trouble!

Dwayne

Old 04-08-2019, 05:32 AM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

No, sorry. X351 = no roof rack + no towing.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

One option is to send your additional cargo ahead via UPS or FedEx. US Mail would work if you aren't in any particular hurry. Or any other parcel delivery would be an option.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

The OP (is he still around?) should trade his XJ for the newest Jaguar SUV. The S-Pace is Jaguar's largest and most advanced SUV, with plenty of space (get it?) for the family and all your stuff. And you can avoid traffic jams with the optional Dynamic Levitation Mode.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest TreeFrog Suction cups for the roof. I have just ordered a set that bolts directly to the bottom of the roof box which I think is a nice and more streamlined option than roof rails since I will only be using a roof box on my 2011 XJ SWB. You can also order sets that mount crossbars for other applications (including roof boxes). There is an article online about someone in the UK who did this on their XJ and it seems to have worked well.

I will let you know how it works. It is obviously a little concerning to connect suction cups to a moveable glass roof, but I will be attempting to mount these on the front section ahead of the moveable sunroof panel and then on the painted strip behind the rear sunroof OR on the rear sunroof itself which does not move at all.

I think that this should work. I do not plan to put great weights in the box, more just an extra volume for soft/lightweight items or things that are too dirty to put in the car.

The following users liked this post:
Pgodoe (04-19-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 03:58 PM
Received 179 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by SBX351
I would suggest TreeFrog Suction cups for the roof. I have just ordered a set that bolts directly to the bottom of the roof box which I think is a nice and more streamlined option than roof rails since I will only be using a roof box on my 2011 XJ SWB. You can also order sets that mount crossbars for other applications (including roof boxes). There is an article online about someone in the UK who did this on their XJ and it seems to have worked well.

I will let you know how it works. It is obviously a little concerning to connect suction cups to a moveable glass roof, but I will be attempting to mount these on the front section ahead of the moveable sunroof panel and then on the painted strip behind the rear sunroof OR on the rear sunroof itself which does not move at all.

I think that this should work. I do not plan to put great weights in the box, more just an extra volume for soft/lightweight items or things that are too dirty to put in the car.
I'm not sure where you stand with insurance when you have fitted something that the manufacture explicitly forbids.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:38 PM

That is a good question. The manual states that that they will not be responsible for any damage to vehicle caused by unauthorized accessories or something like that. So I could be worried about damage to the glass roof or moving parts underneath from the suction cups and the weight attached to them, or I could be concerned about the thing flying off and damaging my car elsewhere or causing an accident. I believe that damage to my car will be my responsibility no matter what. I am planning to attach only to fixed panels and not the moveable sunroof part. The rear suction cups would actually go onto the painted strip of body on the roof. I also don't plan to put too much weight on them. Only a plastic medium sized Thule box with soft clothes and bags in it. I don't know if the disclosure in the manual affects how the insurance would look at it should I want to use comprehensive coverage to help with those repairs.

If it flies off the car, I believe it's still covered by my third party liability, as any roof rack accident would be.

Regardless, I will have to see how confident I feel with the product before taking it on long journeys at high speeds.

The attached photo is of another car using a Treefrog bar assembly and a small box. They claim to have experienced success on long journeys.

Old 04-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by SBX351
That is a good question. The manual states that that they will not be responsible for any damage to vehicle caused by unauthorized accessories or something like that. So I could be worried about damage to the glass roof or moving parts underneath from the suction cups and the weight attached to them, or I could be concerned about the thing flying off and damaging my car elsewhere or causing an accident. I believe that damage to my car will be my responsibility no matter what. I am planning to attach only to fixed panels and not the moveable sunroof part. The rear suction cups would actually go onto the painted strip of body on the roof. I also don't plan to put too much weight on them. Only a plastic medium sized Thule box with soft clothes and bags in it. I don't know if the disclosure in the manual affects how the insurance would look at it should I want to use comprehensive coverage to help with those repairs.

If it flies off the car, I believe it's still covered by my third party liability, as any roof rack accident would be.

Regardless, I will have to see how confident I feel with the product before taking it on long journeys at high speeds.

The attached photo is of another car using a Treefrog bar assembly and a small box. They claim to have experienced success on long journeys.
The way that box is tilted up in the front to catch the air underneath it and pull up on the suction cups would make me nervous.

Old 04-19-2024, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

@SBX351 Do you realize that you replied to a thread that's 5 years old?

You stated "If it flies off the car, I believe it's still covered by my third party liability, as any roof rack accident would be.". What if that flying roof rack lands on a school bus with catastrophic results?

Are you willing to spend years behind bars? Your statements in this thread can and will be used against you. It's your car, your money, and your choice - but is that roof rack worth the risk? Not in my opinion. If anything happens, you're a sitting duck. And don't count on your insurance company covering your butt. You likely violated the terms of that contract and won't be covered.

I stand by what I said in my Post #2, above. Return the roof rack, leave the XJ in your garage, and rent a suitable vehicle. Be safe, not sorry. Especially if you have a family.

Stuart

Old 04-19-2024, 02:13 PM

Stuart,

You're welcome to make suggestions not to do certain things, but some of us want to use the car we own and love for road trips and not rent another car. This product is not a hardware store suction cup that you lick and stick. These are highly tested vacuum suction cups with built-in pumps that are rated at certain generous weights and have indicators should the vacuum ever drop below an acceptable threshold, so you can check every time you get out of the car if there is an issue, just like you should with any other roof mount system. There are two cups per mounting point for strength and to act as a failsafe. I would not be getting roof bars with the roof box to attach, I would be getting a system that attaches the roof box directly to the suction cups to limit the space between the roof and the box and to make sure it does not lean back to catch unnecessary air.

Obviously, I am not okay with the idea of undue risk when it comes to putting other's lives in danger, I was merely addressing a question about insurance.

The photo I posted was of a similar system on a similar car, however I would be mounting the cups on fixed panels of the roof unlike in this photo. These systems are used by lots of people for bicycles etc. The reason I replied to an older thread is because it is still a relevant topic and maybe these products were not available at the time of the OP.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member

You can rationalize your decision, but that doesn't change the risks. As I previously said, it's your decision. My advice still stands. I realize that I'm

The following users liked this post:
rothwell (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 05:47 PM
Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

My two cents: As long as you're taking the risk of an external rack and baggage, consider mounting a class 2 trailer hitch and get a basket accessory that plugs into the receiver. Of course, its not enclosed and you'd have to tie down whatever you put on it. Might have less drag and a sturdy metal to metal attachment. I wouldn't do it but I have carried bicycles with a hitch bike rack on my old XJ8.