XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 XJL 3.0SC Noisy at startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 03:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2016 XJL 3.0SC Noisy at startup

Hi all,
I just purchased a 2016 XJL with the 3.0SC engine it has 45000 miles (72000kms) and I am noticing that when I first start it up the engine is quite noisy, however, it quietens down after warming up a bit. Is this normal for this engine? The V8 in my 2005 VDP is quieter than this V6 at startup. Should I be concerned? the oil level monitor says it is full, however, planning on getting an oil change asap just for my peace of mind.

Any comments appreciated, thank you.
Paul

Old 05-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

IMHO I would perform an oil change and put in the proper 0W-20 spec oil and see if that helps.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Yes, the AJ126 V6 SC is notorious for being noisy at start up.
A combination of ticking and/or rattling noises from the valve train, timing chains, timing chain tensioners, SC belt tensioners, high pressure fuel pumps, fuel injectors and SC coupler/torsion isolator.
When the engine is new most of these noises are either not present or muted, except for the fuel injector ticking which is unavoidable (very high fuel pressure).
But as the engine ages these parts start to wear and gradually get noisier and noisier.
The loudest and most annoying is the SC coupler/torsion isolator, when it becomes excessively worn the top/front of the engine (ie the SC) sounds like a handful of marbles rattling in a tin can at start up, but it quietens down a bit once the engine warms up.
With 45k miles on the clock this is a distinct possibility.
The give away sign of a worn SC coupler is a loud "clonk" from the top of the engine when you shut it down. Not every time, maybe every third time.
As you live in a fairly cold climate the first thing I would do is as XJsss says, give it a fresh oil change using the correct spec 0W-20 oil.
This oil is quite thin when cold (that's what the 0W signifies) so it gets to the top of the engine quickly on start up and might help reduce the noise(s) you are hearing.

The following users liked this post:
Nightshadow (06-29-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the input. I have gone to Jaguar and picked up the correct oil and filter, however, just realized that my oil pump doesn't have a small enough hose attachment to fit into the drain tube on the car. Looks like it needs to be 3/16" OD tube in order to fit down the pipe. Now searching for the proper diameter tubing.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Just reading another post regarding oil changes and it seems that the vacuum pump tube goes over the tube in the oil fill port? looking for clarification on this thanks

Old 06-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul2005
Just reading another post regarding oil changes and it seems that the vacuum pump tube goes over the tube in the oil fill port? looking for clarification on this thanks
Yep, it goes over the little tube in the middle of the oil cap hole, that tube is specifically for extracting the oil with a vacuum pump. It takes a very bendy route down to near the bottom of the sump.
You need an 8 mm internal diameter tube or fitting to fit snugly over that tube, it needs to be a nice tight fit to make and maintain a vacuum for the pump to work as it should. It does not go down the tube, just over the top, although if you had a thin enough tube you could poke it down an inch or so and maybe make a vacuum seal with the inside of the extraction tube rather than the outside.

Last edited by OzXFR; 06-01-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I used a bit of rubber vacuum hose to adapt the tube on my pump to the tube on the engine. The vacuum hose will accommodate quite a variance in diameter. Just stretch it over both tubes.

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, it goes over the little tube in the middle of the oil cap hole, that tube is specifically for extracting the oil with a vacuum pump. It takes a very bendy route down to near the bottom of the sump.
You need an 8 mm internal diameter tube or fitting to fit snugly over that tube, it needs to be a nice tight fit to make and maintain a vacuum for the pump to work as it should. It does not go down the tube, just over the top, although if you had a thin enough tube you could poke it down an inch or so and maybe make a vacuum seal with the inside of the extraction tube rather than the outside.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:43 PM

I got it to work and was able to vacuum out the oil and put in the Jaguar spec oil and filter. Noise on startup is now gone. Happy car now. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:49 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Not to be a negative Nancy, but I would take the average of a few days before declaring victory. I’ve had symptoms (of various ailments) return within a week on many occasion. Please report back in a couple days to verify that the noises are still at bay. If you find that this is indeed a long-term fix, it would be of interest to many forum members. Thanks

Old 06-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Nedoerr, you are correct the noise at startup has returned, however, it does quieten down much quicker than it did before the oil change. Then once it is at temp there is hardly any noise seems happy.

Thanks for everyone's input

Paul

Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Nedoerr, you are correct the noise at startup has returned, however, it does quieten down much quicker than it did before the oil change. Then once it is at temp there is hardly any noise seems happy.

Paul
I would assume that is the Supercharger coupler & isolator

Old 06-08-2019, 03:34 PM
Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts

Paul
Thanks for the update. Glad it is better than before. If the oil change had an effect, it sounds like the timing chain tensioners are being assisted by the accelerated oil distribution of the lower weight oil.

As the timing chain also runs through the reservoir where you add fresh oil during an oil change, perhaps the temporary “cure” you experienced was due to pouring fresh oil over the timing chain. Don’t know if this would mute any sounds though. Anyone else have thoughts on that?