XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2016 XJL Headlight Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Those new headlights look amazing. Please update with pictures when it's all done!

Old 02-25-2016, 01:43 AM
Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

New LED headlamps retrofitted successfully. Everything works fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rostman:
LaCapitalRue (03-04-2016), Panthro (05-20-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts
Default 2016 XJL Headlight Retrofit?

Wow, that's just utterly super damn cool! Thanks for showing us it can be done!

Now, how did you do it? surely wasn't plug-n-play...what mods were needed?

Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

It might be useful to share the connector arrangements for comparison. RHD, left headlamp, assuming full-spec, connector C1LF08. Marked in red where there are non-plug-and-play differences.

Early models
1 Position LED array and side marker LED array ground
2 Position LED array and side marker LED array power
3 Indicator LED array power
4 Cornering (static bending lamp) LED array power
5 Level motor power
6 Level motor ground
7 Level motor LIN bus
8 NC
9 Xenon HID DIP beam ground
10 Main beam flap power
11 Xenon HID DIP beam power
12 Indicator LED array and main beam flap ground
13 AFS motor LIN bus
14 AFS motor power
15 AFS motor ground
16 Corner (static bending lamp) ground

2016 facelift model
1 NC
2 NC
4 Low beam command (DIP on)
5 Dynamic levelling motor IGN power
6 Dynamic levelling motor ground
7 Dynamic levelling motor LIN bus
8 Signal power
9 Signal ground
10 Main beam flap power (HB on command)
11 IGN battery power
12 Lighting ground
13 Dynamic beind lamp LIN bus
14 Dynamic bending lamp IGN power
15 Dynamic bending lamp ground
16 LED LIN bus

Note some of the powers are PWM controlled presumably to set flap positions, intensity, etc. (I suspect the DRLs will dim slightly when the indicator in the same headlamp flashes as is pretty standard on cars with LED lamps.)

The deletion of 1 and 2 and the repurposing of 16 in the 2016 MY suggests the side markers/DRL LEDs have been moved over to control via the LIN bus from the headlamp control module, adopting one of the shared grounds (likely 12).

It is certainly possible to remove the ground from 16 and splice with the other LIN pins on 7 and 13 (which are spliced anyway), but whether the software in the headlamp control module will know what to do I don't know. Hopefully Rostman will detail that? That would just leave a few pin swaps. It looks like 11 might still work as-is if the power is only used for the DIP/full beam as the relay in the earlier cars would just switch it on and off rather than being permanently on. 11 and 4 could be spliced? Otherwise swapped and a new IGN switched supply from a suitable fuse taken to 11.

It looks like that static bending lamps have been deleted from the 2016 MY. AFAIK from watching my 2010 X351 two things happen when cornering at night at speeds below 30mph. 1) The dipped beam angles slightly into the corners, and 2) a static LED turns on to illuminate the extreme inner side. My guess is that the static lamp is either deleted entirely, or mor elikely is now controlled within the lamp from the LIN bus. It is worth noting that the LIN bus is just spliced between 7, 13 (and 16 on the newer cars) so it is worth trying with pin 16 repurposed to see if the static bending lamps are controlled from the existing commands used for the adaptive lamps, or whether they need the headlamp control module (bus master) to send a new command for them.

Also worth bearing in mind that in the field it is not uncommon for cars either side of the official VIN-break for electrical changes to have wiring from either side, or sometimes a combination of both.

Last edited by xdave; 02-26-2016 at 07:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xdave:
Panthro (11-17-2023), podwil (11-16-2018)
Old 02-25-2016, 05:17 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like a lot of work.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
It might be useful to share the connector arrangements for comparison. RHD, left headlamp, assuming full-spec, connector C1LF08. Marked in red where there are non-plug-and-play differences.

Early models
1 Position LED array and side marker LED array ground
2 Position LED array and side marker LED array power
4 Cornering (static bending lamp) LED array power
5 Level motor power
6 Level motor ground
7 Level motor LIN bus
8 NC
9 Xenon HID DIP beam ground
10 Main beam flap power
11 Xenon HID DIP beam power
12 Indicator LED array and main beam flap ground
13 AFS motor LIN bus
14 AFS motor power
15 AFS motor ground
16 Corner (static bending lamp) ground

2016 facelift model
1 NC
2 NC
4 Low beam command (DIP on)
5 Dynamic levelling motor IGN power
6 Dynamic levelling motor ground
7 Dynamic levelling motor LIN bus
8 Signal power
9 Signal ground
10 Main beam flap power (HB on command)
11 IGN battery power
12 Lighting ground
13 Dynamic beind lamp LIN bus
14 Dynamic bending lamp IGN power
15 Dynamic bending lamp ground
16 LED LIN bus

Note some of the powers are PWM controlled presumably to set flap positions, intensity, etc. (I suspect the DRLs will dim slightly when the indicator in the same headlamp flashes as is pretty standard on cars with LED lamps.)

The deletion of 1 and 2 and the repurposing of 16 in the 2016 MY suggests the side markers/DRL LEDs have been moved over to control via the LIN bus from the headlamp control module, adopting one of the shared grounds (likely 12).

It is certainly possible to remove the ground from 16 and splice with the other LIN pins on 7 and 13 (which are spliced anyway), but whether the software in the headlamp control module will know what to do I don't know. Hopefully Rostman will detail that? That would just leave a few pin swaps. It looks like 11 might still work as-is if the power is only used for the DIP/full beam as the relay in the earlier cars would just switch it on and off rather than being permanently on. 11 and 4 could be spliced? Otherwise swapped and a new IGN switched supply from a suitable fuse taken to 11.

It looks like that static bending lamps have been deleted from the 2016 MY. AFAIK from watching my 2010 X351 two things happen when cornering at night at

Also worth bearing in mind that in the field it is not uncommon for cars either side of the official VIN-break for electrical changes to have wiring from either side, or sometimes a combination of both.
I'm so sorry but i can't say for sure what they have done because i'm not undestand so much in the electronics.
Everything i can say they have done everuthong just with the cables (i guess) without any reprogramming PLC or something like that.
Everything works fine: low beam, high beam, signature lights, turn lights. AFS is worrking well (i can see how light is rotating to left or right). The only thing what is not woking are static bending lamps. The electrical guy says in LCI cars they changed the way of controling it with digital and preLCI car do not have the right unit to understand that digital signals. May be this is the new LIN bus?
Anyway yesterday my light falls down and i get the AFS light error code on the dash so went to check that second time. Hope they will fix it and i will not get any errors more.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member

I just spotted that my original post had a paragragh about the bending lamps cut short when I copy-pasted it into the forum editor. I've edited it to add it back in:

It looks like that static bending lamps have been deleted from the 2016 MY. AFAIK from watching my 2010 X351 two things happen when cornering at night at speeds below 30mph: 1) The dipped beam angles slightly into the corners, and 2) a static LED turns on to illuminate the extreme inner side. My guess is that the static lamp is either deleted entirely, or more likely is now controlled within the lamp from the LIN bus or as part of the AFS system.

Now that you've reported they are not working on yours it is worth finding out what your auto electricial guy did and whether pin 16 has already been repurposed as another splice from the LIN bus. It would make sense for Jaguar to use the existing commands sent to the adaptive bending lamp module to control the static one to cut down on part changes, or maybe use the outer part of the DRL LEDs? I've not seen a 2016 MY car in action at night to confirm how the lamps should behave though.

As the LIN bus is just spliced between 7, 13 (and 16 on the newer cars) so it is worth trying with pin 16 repurposed to see if the static bending lamps are controlled from the existing commands used for the adaptive lamps, or whether they need the headlamp control module (bus master) to send a new command for them. It's an easy way to test and might work.

Or it might not. The AFS system reporting an error and disabling itself might suggest that the AFS module inside the headlamp unit is reporting that it has not received the correct commands over the LIN bus due to some software change and it is raising a DTC. Is there any chance the error could have flagged up three times after running the car with the headlamps on and corner under 30mph? It might be that its a plausibility error flagged from the start as sometimes the car will wait for it to be flaged three times before reporting it to eliminate non-critical one off triggers. A scan with SDD or a compatible DTC scan tool would help to identify the issue.

Solving software incompatabilities is a long game in these modern cars. If you can find out any missing messages you can insert them yourself with a few dollars in hardware and a cheap 8 bit processor (LIN bus is a bit less critical than CAN so ought to be easier to work with). Pre SDD when only IDS was used to reprogram ECUs it was fairly easy to modify session config files to reflash firmware from any ECU version (and easy to brick your devices if you were careless!). I used that to eventually get the cooled seats fitted to a 2004 XJR. With SDD though there are so many checks and it constantly reports back reflashes and software versions to Jaguar HQ. It's much harder to just grab a second hand module and play to find out what works.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:11 AM

I have found the fault appears only when car turns to the right on 90 degrees with speed more than 20-30 km/h.
May be new headlamps needs some adaptations using SDD software.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

I've attached the system operation pages for a 2010 launch model and the 2016 with the LED headlamps so you can learn how the lamps operate if you have a spare couple of hours for reading. There is a bit on each about how the AFS system diagnoses faults that may be useful.

Early models had two headlamp variants - xenon and xenon with AFS. 2016 models have three headlamp variants - xenon, LED, and LED with AFS.

From your photos you have fitted the LED with AFS variant as you have the 'J' LED DRLs. The spec description of those does not appear to match with the connector pinouts I gave earlier. I've been back through the electrical schematics and can see three variations of headlamp wiring after the 2016 MY break. Some have different wiring for the side lights and the bending lights which make them much more plug-and-play compatible with earlier models (pins 1, 2 and 4 are the same as the launch model for some early 2016 MY cars), but I don't know if they are pre the all-LED lamps. Do you know the actual part number of either of the lamps you purchased? It can be used to work out which version of the lamps you have and narrow down the electrical schematic to the correct one.

The following users liked this post:
XJsss (02-28-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 11:23 PM

Thanks for all this inform action guys. I truly appreciate it! It seems people here have been waiting to do this modification to their pre 2016 XJ. It is just an arm and a leg for me right now.lol I mean $4000 for this? Wow

Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Johncy2000
... It is just an arm and a leg for me right now.lol I mean $4000 for this? Wow
That's the same conclusion I reached last October in my post #2, above. Unless you plan to never sell your XJ with that $4K mod, you'll never recoup that cost. Better to use that $4K towards a trade for a 2016 and also get the upgraded electronics.

The following users liked this post:
Johncy2000 (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by xdave
I've attached the system operation pages for a 2010 launch model and the 2016 with the LED headlamps so you can learn how the lamps operate if you have a spare couple of hours for reading. There is a bit on each about how the AFS system diagnoses faults that may be useful.

Early models had two headlamp variants - xenon and xenon with AFS. 2016 models have three headlamp variants - xenon, LED, and LED with AFS.

From your photos you have fitted the LED with AFS variant as you have the 'J' LED DRLs. The spec description of those does not appear to match with the connector pinouts I gave earlier. I've been back through the electrical schematics and can see three variations of headlamp wiring after the 2016 MY break. Some have different wiring for the side lights and the bending lights which make them much more plug-and-play compatible with earlier models (pins 1, 2 and 4 are the same as the launch model for some early 2016 MY cars), but I don't know if they are pre the all-LED lamps. Do you know the actual part number of either of the lamps you purchased? It can be used to work out which version of the lamps you have and narrow down the electrical schematic to the correct one.
Hi xdave. Thanks for the info. I have spent some time to read the documents to make it clear for myself, but anyway there is no information regarding does new AFS headligts require some calibration after the installation or not.
I have read AFS system has some "0" point what is controlled all the time when AFS system recieves ingnition ON and runnig engine signals via CAN bus. May be in my happening this "0" point is setted wrong so with right turn headlamps are turning out of range what make failure message appears on the dash.
I will try to speak with the Jaguar dealer to ask if SDD software has this feature.
And i'm sorry i didn't know the part number of the headlapms. I have bought it from eBay just by the picture.

Last edited by Rostman; 02-29-2016 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I won't get a chance to hook mine up to SDD till the weekend now to check, but if you still can't get anywhere by then I'll have a look and see what the symptom suggests.

I have had a look on TOPIx for diagnosis and replacement info for the headlamps both pre and post LED. There is very little about diagnosing AFS faults, all symptoms state this:

"Check the bulb and fuse condition. Check cornering lamp circuits. Check the lighting control switch function. Check the left-side steering column multifunction switch function. Refer to the electrical guides. Check for DTCs indicating a cornering lamp circuit fault."

Additionally a catch-all check for headlamp faults is:

•Fuses
•Wiring harness
•Loose or corroded connector(s)
•Battery junction box
•Central junction box
•Steering angle sensor
•ABS control module
•Instrument cluster
•Headlamp levelling control module
•Restraints control module
•CAN circuits

Not a lot of help there as it covers everything used in the headlamp control!

I can't see any specific body DTCs for the AFS system other than short/open circuit. It may be that your car has flagged a more generic DTC from the headlamp control module like "configuration error" or "general failure". If you get any DTCs read please get the codes and modules that raised them.

Normally if there is any software reconfiguration needed via SDD the workshop manual will state that it needs to be programmed in the removal/fitting instructions. I've looked at all of the headlamp sections and there is nothing there about any configuration needed when replacing the lamp assembly. Only the control module replacement needs to be programmed with the options of the car, and if needed I will check those options at the weekend to see if there is any mention of AFS.

It looks like the 'zero position' is a good old-fashioned mechanical adjustment based on some Allen screws. Usually headlamps like these will perform extents checks automatically each time the car is started (i.e. dropping to the lowest position and then raising to the highest, and with cornering adjustments the same for left and right). The control module inside the lamp assembly then uses that to calculate the centre position and the Allen screws are used to offset that if needed. If you get in the car on a dark night with auto lamps on and turn on the ignition you might notice the headlamp beam adjusting itself for a second or so.

Matching part numbers to the VIN on your car is much more critical nowadays than it used to be because things like headlamps are no longer just a collection of bulbs switched by relays but are full-blown networked devices that do a lot of vehicle message processing themselves rather than relying on a few larger body ECUs. There is no such thing as a "2016 model headlamp" - there are three different spec options and about a dozen different variants for different markets.

Sadly if a car is presented to a dealer with a fault like this it is often a case of replacing the headlamp assembly. Hopefully they will try and investigate in Russia, but over here most dealers are fitters not mechanics/electricians. At $200 an hour labour it is usually cheaper to rebuild cars from new parts than try and fix the broken ones.

Were the lamps new, or used? Not just what the seller claimed, but where there any signs of previous fitment that could indicate they were removed for an existing fault?

You mentioned that the AFS fault only showed up after a few drives, but didn't get back with how long it took to show up. Do you recall if it was three trips before the error first flagged on the dash display? Was the AFS (rather than the cornering LED) ever confirmed working after fitment?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 413 Posts

As the result of a rock breaking my left headlight assembly I had the dealer replace the unit and when the tech installed it he left it as delivered un-adjusted. Kieth the technician said that the headlight should be able to self alien. Well that night I parked the car outside my garage with the garage door closed pointing the headlights at the door and found that the replaced light was too low and did not alien with the right lamp both in top cutoff or left right adjustment. So I adjusted both axis to correspond to the right lamp. So IMHO you may need to perform this initial adjustment as the units may be beyond where they can self adjust to "0" point. Therefore you it may be the issue with the right turn bend lamp is that the headlamp auto self adjust may be set too far left and a right turn is not enough for the lamp to think you are turning sharp right. Just a thought.

Last edited by XJsss; 02-29-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:14 AM

I think i will visit the dealer to replace the brake pads this week and ask them to check what fault codes are stored in a Head lamp control unit of JCB. Lets see.
All the parts what are not AFS works fine. So theoretically i can say the car using SDD that there is no longer AFS i will not have any more problems.
With "zero postion" i mentioned in the headlights are some potentiometers and zero position can be setted wrong so it moved a little bit to the left or right and when the lenses are turning it goes out of range and shows this fault.
I bought it like new and didn't find any matches of previous installation. So i hope this is not any failure within the headlamp.
The same problems with technical guys we have in Russia. Usualy everything is done like you said "replace with a new one".
The fault appears like he wants to. Some time it can appear a few minutes after engine starts, sometime a few hours. It appears just after right turn with some conditions like speed more than 20-30 km/h or when the speed is increasing while i'm turning to the right from speed 10 to 40 for example. I can't be sure now and haven't got any free time to drive around Moscow to found what conditions for sure make the car to show AFS fault.
AFS is working and i can see on the wall how light is moving to the left or right while driving in a parking place.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:26 PM

Group buy anyone?? ^_^

Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there any update on fitting the headlight.?

Old 03-08-2016, 12:43 AM

Did it work perfectly?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 AM

So i've been to the dealer and they try to make some calibration but it does't help so i ask them to disable AFS system on my car to prevent this failure to appear. Now everything's fine so i will come back to programm AFS lights when they find the right solution to make it work perfect. No free time to visit them so often for the investigation.
I'm happy with the results.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:54 AM

Thank you very much keep us updated because I'm trying to fit it also if I solve it I will let you know.

Quick Reply: 2016 XJL Headlight Retrofit?