XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

add a leaper????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I did add a leaper on mine. I posted pictures as while ago. The opinions are very split on this. I must admit, the leaper doesn't "flow" that well with the body shape of this car. But....I had a 98 XJ8 Vanden Plas quiet some time ago and I simply missed the leaper. So I added it. I did it myself as the leaper comes with some clear instructions. they are spring loaded. This is not for the faint of heart as it involves drilling of the hood. Dealers sell that as a OEM part anywhere from $280 to $ 400. (I asked at first they wanted 400 than they sold it for me at 280 because they cut me a deal). I like it but I am not always sure if it is the right thing to do.
FYI on my 98 I had 1 stealing incident in 8 years. No major damage. Just out the money for a new leaper.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Wow!!!

Stealing the leapers and damaging the hood was my chief concern when I purchased my XJL with the dealer installed leaper on the hood. I asked the dealer about his experience with stolen leapers. He confidently stated that during all the years of him being there he knew of only 3 instances amongst hundreds of cars with the hood ornament.

Your experience is discouraging, to say the list. One thing I have to say is that you are insistent by putting the thing back to be stolen nearly 10 times. I think one would do it for me.

Did the leaper's spring loaded base remain in the hood when they ripped it off or, they they managed to break the bolts that mount it to the hood? Guess, what I am trying to ask is; what did it take to replace/repair?
your dealer was definitely lying to you to try and sell you the piece. i see plenty of jags on a daily basis without leapers.

they would yank it off and break the tether....the base stayed bolted to the car. its easy to break the tether considering it was designed like that incase you hit someone with your car.

i purchased 10 over the course of the 6 Jags ive had. it made me cringe every time i looked at the front of the car and saw the base just sitting there naked without the leaper

The following users liked this post:
axr6 (10-18-2012)
Old 04-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the templetes to add a leaper to the 2009 xj8 vanden plas hood

Old 04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
I did add a leaper on mine. I posted pictures as while ago. The opinions are very split on this. I must admit, the leaper doesn't "flow" that well with the body shape of this car. But....I had a 98 XJ8 Vanden Plas quiet some time ago and I simply missed the leaper. So I added it. I did it myself as the leaper comes with some clear instructions. they are spring loaded. This is not for the faint of heart as it involves drilling of the hood. Dealers sell that as a OEM part anywhere from $280 to $ 400. (I asked at first they wanted 400 than they sold it for me at 280 because they cut me a deal). I like it but I am not always sure if it is the right thing to do.
FYI on my 98 I had 1 stealing incident in 8 years. No major damage. Just out the money for a new leaper.
Funny, I feel the same way about the leaper. Vacillate from love it to hate it. Nothing in between. One minute I'm doing a google search to order one, the next I'm slapping myself. LOL.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Last July we purchased our 2008 XJ8 L. I think this was a transition year in that it was the old(er) body style but with the newer style grille insert. Technically model X358, which comes after X350 and before X351 - are Brits bad at math? Back to the subject, my car came with no leaper, but after a week or so, I couldn't take looking at this body style without a leaper, so I had one installed. On this model the leaper still looks appropriate. We also have an 09 XF and in over 2 years, we have resisted the urge to install a leaper on it.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSC
Funny, I feel the same way about the leaper. Vacillate from love it to hate it. Nothing in between. One minute I'm doing a google search to order one, the next I'm slapping myself. LOL.
I can understand that. Before buying my new 2012 XJL I would have voted against the leaper. Then, the dealer happened to have one installed on just the color combo that we wanted. I got used to it and it grew on me well. I actually think it looks fine. The only thing that worries me is it getting ripped off and perhaps the hood damaged in the process.

I am about to buy an other new Jag (XF) tomorrow and likely will NOT install the leaper on that one. (Unless my wife insists, as it's going to be her car. Actually, it may look even better on a black car.)

Albert

Old 04-11-2013, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

The more sensual curves and longer bonnets/hoods of the earlier Jags lent themselves well to the adornment of the leapers, even to the X350's.

The more modern cars, with sharper lines and a sleeker stance, do not.

My thinking is that, if the designers didn't want it and the factory didn't fit it, then nor will I.

Of course, taste is totally subjective. If you want one then have one, if not, leave it alone. The cars look great whichever stand point you take.

Just my own thoughts,

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
...My thinking is that, if the designers didn't want it and the factory didn't fit it, then nor will I....
Likely the factory would not fit them as standard equipment because in many nations around the world hood ornaments, particularly pointed ones such as the leaper, are illegal. Even older, existing ones must be removed. That is because they could stab a person in a crosswalk accident.

Albert

Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most posts I have read. It looked good on the older body styles, but doesn't exactly fit the new style.