XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Any one still having issues with the roof popping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Any one still having issues with the roof popping noise?

Its about 2wks since I got mine back from dealer and I still hear a noise when I go over bumps, but only with the shades open.
I can't take it any more.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have popping. Dealer says they are starting the recalls for what that is worth. They are doing popping and software updates at the same time.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's interesting to me to hear about sporadic "recalls" and "updates" from dealerships. Shouldn't every owner be notified pretty much at the same time? Shouldn't there be specific details announced by Jag about what the owners should do and expect?

Old 10-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I believe Jaguar will announce a major recall or make a service bulletin for the roof issue . I think they chicken out to do it sooner just because they must fear of loosing some new customers to the brand .

Old 10-16-2010, 11:20 AM

I just met someone today, her xj is 2wks old , same issues, her window was stuck during a rainstorm, than she couldn't start it, she also has the roof popping noise.
She wants to return it.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'm fortunate to have bought a dealer demonstrator (3000 miles and a few months old, I guess). The only problems I've had have been a couple of software glitches. Any other issues (the roof noise was one) were taken care of by the dealer as they occurred. Better the dealer deal with working out the kinks than me!

Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestial
It's interesting to me to hear about sporadic "recalls" and "updates" from dealerships. Shouldn't every owner be notified pretty much at the same time? Shouldn't there be specific details announced by Jag about what the owners should do and expect?
Official notification from Jag will begin via snail-mail correspondence around 10/25. I'm sure the lead time was for them to generate the correct mailer artwork, generate nationwide owner lists, etc. Here at the dealer level, though, all I need to do is print a report of all customers we've sold new XJ's to, and I have their phone numbers at my fingertips. Since we're not selling, say Toyota Corollas, I don't have thousands of phone numbers, but a few dozen is really easy to go through. Plus, it's just a part of being proactive as a dealership looking to get the owner/dealer relationship off to a good start.

That being said... this campaign/enhancement is HUGE in terms of what we're doing for each car. The reporting of issues back to Jaguar did NOT go unheard - in fact, dealers were praised for reporting so many of these issues back to the UK. Now they did need some time to redesign parts, rewrite programming, etc., but with the campaign here, we're able to tackle these issues all at once, while unlocking some new features as well.

Should these problems have been taken care of before production? Maybe. But they weren't, and the best way to make a customer happy is to address their concerns. So that's what we're trying to do. Thanks to all the new XJ owners for their patience, and here's to a problem-free ownership experience!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

All cars with VIN ending 8100 or higher are called with a service bulleting. Requires replacing of a bracket somewhere in sunroof mechanism. INcludes lowering headliner. About a 2 hour job. Inventory cars not delivered to end customer will be done at time of purchase with latest software upgrades.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 PM

I have received no "official" correspondence from Jaguar NA about any of the issues on the car? Anyone else received a letter in the mail?

Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by hunterjah
I have received no "official" correspondence from Jaguar NA about any of the issues on the car? Anyone else received a letter in the mail?
I'm taking my car in to the dealer tomorrow for them to perform the roof popping fix and software upgrades. I had not yet received a letter from Jaguar that my dealer says I should have received or will be receiving soon, but they agreed to look my car up in the system and get the ball rolling without the letter (mine was the first XJ they delivered the first week of June). Keeping my fingers crossed that I get the car back in a reasonable amount of time with the roof noise stopped, all of the technology features operational, and no extraneous marks or dings on the car!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gears
All cars with VIN ending 8100 or higher are called with a service bulleting. Requires replacing of a bracket somewhere in sunroof mechanism. INcludes lowering headliner. About a 2 hour job. Inventory cars not delivered to end customer will be done at time of purchase with latest software upgrades.
If you have and early vin, like v01000-v03000, expect to leave your car there for a day or so. Numerous things are done including a Power Steering hose, front waist door seals. Blind feet, brackets or castings depending on how the blinds are operating, rear visors and business tray latches(LWB) only, Sight shields and roof seals to fix the roof noise(Whatever), water shedder for the audio amp. Audio module with early vin and software update, the update alone takes about to two hours, assuming the software takes correctly. Less stuff is done with the newer vin numbers.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The dealer called me Friday and told me that my car was still not ready--I have a very early VIN. They've had it for 3 days now and expect to have it back to me on Monday--they say that they are having problems downloading the software because of a problem with their computer.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not too surprised. Didn't think it would be that much though. But am I glad to have a VIN in the 9000 range. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Default Popping

Took my XJL in last week for the full "enhancement programme," which included work on the popping and creaking in the roof. I picked the car up at night, and the popping is more frequent. I returned it a again, and the dealer said they will fix it and have had some vehicles that have required two visits to the dealer to get it right. Service has been very responsive, and I hope they come through on this one, as the popping is very annoying and is immediately commented on by passengers.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Mine is not popping but the pillars now do not meet up with the dash and the rear package tray, there are big cracks now instead of flush.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Default No more popping

Got mine back from the dealer after the second try. The popping noises are eliminated, and everything else looks in order. Enjoyed the drive into work today!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viperz06
Mine is not popping but the pillars now do not meet up with the dash and the rear package tray, there are big cracks now instead of flush.
IMHO, that means take it back and ask them to send the car to someone who knows what they are doing and who gives a damn about their work ! These cars are way too expensive to accept anything less.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Default A BIG shout out to Dan at Nalley Jaguar in Atlanta

What a great example of Jag service. First I did not buy my car from Nalley, I live in FL. I was having a problem with a fix on my new Jag at the dealer where I bought the car. Basically the work was pretty sloppy. I did not understand how the parts fit together and did not know how others were able to get the roof fix and have the pillar covers fit perfectly. Mine sure didn't

I explained my issue to Dan (I saw he was a poster here) He answered all my questions, asked me to send him pictures of my issues, which I did. He checked with their service guy who is very experienced in the roof repair gave me helpful input and even sent me pictures of the parts so I could understand how things fit together. He ended by offering to talk to me any time or even escalate the issue if I needed. All this from a guy who knows nothing about me other than I own a couple of XJLs.

That my friends is SERVICE!!!! Nalley Jag in Atlanta RULES, I only wished I lived there so I could buy and service all my Jags there. THANKS Dan Wicker!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks viper for your feedback , it's just nice to see anotler plug for Dan

Old 11-21-2010, 11:20 AM

can you post the pictures , so we can understand how they fixed it?

Quick Reply: Any one still having issues with the roof popping noise?