XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Any one still having issues with the roof popping noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep let me learn how to do it.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:21 PM

I don't know how to post a pic. I pm'd you for an email address and I will send to you.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM

just imagine where all your pillar covers meet the dash and package tray, large gaps, seeing the ragged edges of the cloth inserts, stuff down in the dash,mis shapen and mis aligned with the windows. Like you might expect to find in a YUGO. Still love the car just pissed at the hack job.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the software update and roof fix done last week and everything is fine. I'm glad the noise is gone because it was somewhat embarrassing - it was pretty loud. The voice control is nice, and we finally have the ability to enter a nav destination while driving. Now if I can only figure out how the TMC works...

Old 12-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Roof Noise Question ONLY WHEN COLD? Confused

When you guys talk about "roof popping" noise, do you refere to a noise opening and closing the sunroof? Or just a log of creacking in the roof headliner.

Eventhough my dealer did the "sunroof bracket fix bulleting" I got a LOT of noise in the roof. But ONLY when it is cold. Here in Chicago the winter weahter started and the noise in the roof sounds like somethig will crak away any moment. Stops after the interior warms up. Probably just the roof liner. Anyone else has a similar issue?

I will bring back to dealer as I also noted one of the little lights in a door handle is not working (actually is is not even there).

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The roof popping noise most of us are referring to is a problem with the way the glass roof is attached to the car and the sound generally is toward the rear when you go over bumps in the road or make sharp turns up or down an incline--it does not have anything to do with the sun roof operation. It was very annoying, but my dealer finally got it fixed based on instructions and replacement parts from Jaguar. It does not make any noise now no matter what the road conditions or ambient temperature are--it is possible to fix this if your dealer knows what they are doing, but this is a big problem because some dealers just need to call it quits!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
The roof popping noise most of us are referring to is a problem with the way the glass roof is attached to the car and the sound generally is toward the rear when you go over bumps in the road or make sharp turns up or down an incline--it does not have anything to do with the sun roof operation. It was very annoying, but my dealer finally got it fixed based on instructions and replacement parts from Jaguar. It does not make any noise now no matter what the road conditions or ambient temperature are--it is possible to fix this if your dealer knows what they are doing, but this is a big problem because some dealers just need to call it quits!
I think the newness of the car and learning curve are issues at a lot of jag dealerships right now!

Old 12-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Default Update

All is fixed now. After the initial bracket TSB which was done before I took delivery, I was worried as I still had noise.
Mostly when cold and when car body is "bumped" or "twisted". The service techs needed some time to find it, but they took all the time needed and did a minor sunroof adjustment and some minor headliner adjustments.
I wasn't too confident at first.. but guess what. ALL noises are GONE. No matter if hot or cold weather. I hope that was it. All of you....a good tech can fix it it seems. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Darn, its back!
No, not anything in the headliner, not any squeaking, a popping (like a seem or rivet point) if car hits bump or ist twisted on curb.
Anybody any idea???
Been at the dealer. First they can't even hear the noise. Then they said they found something. The "sunroof pop fix" is done. I made sure there are no noises from the sunroof liner.

I love the car and don't want to get rid of it. I am a restless (and believe talented) tinkerer. I know the dealer mechanics won't take that time and dedication EXCEPT I raise a major stink. I want the noise gone. ANYBODY? Any Ideas.