XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Anyone's Roof still popping?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After 2 cars 1 original and the 2nd a replacement by jagNA and about 10 x to the dealer the noise is back I think it's un fixable , a 2012 model making the noise confirms it was never fixed from the factory .
They said it had a fix in the 2011 s , it's a shame !

Old 11-12-2014, 06:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, that's not too encouraging. :-( It's such a shame because I really like this car, but the roof spoils the entire experience. There IS nothing worse then taking someone out for lunch and their first impressions are, "wow, this is really nice" and then "what's that noise?".

Hopefully something magical will happen when my car goes in next week. Fingers crossed.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

This might sound dumb, but has anyone tried driving without the headliner? Is the noise in the roof structure or something to do with the headliner?

Old 11-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Hi All. No joy for me. :-( The dealer had the car in for another day to apply "the roof fix" from Jaguar. This is replacing the washers and spacers that separate the glass from the roof. (as I understand it). Anyway, no better for me. I'm not sure what's next. I have asked the GM of the dealer for an action plan. I'll keep you posted.

Rob

The following users liked this post:
splatter88 (11-25-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a bit worrying, mines got picked up yesterday to get this roof kit put on. I was told the same about replacing the washers to neoprene and replace the spacers that will make the glass "float". I guess by doing that the glass or mechanism will be less likely to rub against whatever it rubs against when the car flexes and therefore stoping the noise.

It's also in to get the rust sorted where the glass sits too. Cross the fingers I'll get it back for the weekend and all will be fine.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Hi All.

My XJ / SC is back in today ... until it is fixed... is the word. I took the Service Rep out for a ride to let him hear the roof noise, the wind noise (a new problem since the work began on the roof noise) and another rattle. I'll keep you posted.

Rob

Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi

Thanks for your posts.

If any of you require assistance with this concern please feel free to PM me your details and I will request that our relevant market Customer Relations department contact you to offer their assistance.

I will require the following details;

Your full name
Telephone number
Email address
Vehicle registration
Last 6 of VIN
Relevant repairing Jaguar retailer

Regards

Ryan
So, Ryan, Do all early XJs exhibit this phenomenon? I've owned a used 2011 XJL for one year, a total of 40,000 miles, and so far, so good.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:29 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi johndahlheimer

Thanks for your post.

Jaguar are not aware of a widespread issue with the XJ in relation to this concern. We are aware that there are an isolated number of vehicles that have been affected and are taking the appropriate action at retailer level to resolve each individual concern.

Should anyone be experiencing this concern, please PM me with your specific details and I will be happy to assist.

Regards

Ryan

Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan@Jaguar
Hi johndahlheimer

Thanks for your post.

Jaguar are not aware of a widespread issue with the XJ in relation to this concern. We are aware that there are an isolated number of vehicles that have been affected and are taking the appropriate action at retailer level to resolve each individual concern.

Should anyone be experiencing this concern, please PM me with your specific details and I will be happy to assist.

Regards

Ryan

Ryan, with all due respect, this is more than an issue that is occurring on an isolated number of vehicles. Jaguar has a TSB on this at the dealer level, the dealers I've spoken with in Southern California all are aware of this issue is and have confirmed there is a "sunroof fix" Jaguar has issued. There is what I call a "nuclear" option, where the entire sunroof is cut out and replaced.. which is what happened to my car. In the end, the issue was not resolved to my satisfaction and I moved on with my life (and away from Jaguar).

I will agree with you that this is problematic of "early" XJs (2011 and 2012s) - mine was a 2012 - but the fact that the issue persisted beyond the first model year of the car is, in my mind, ridiculous for a manufacturer of Jaguar's ilk.

My .02.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member

It's a shame because you can only get the 5.0 NA if you buy a 2011 or 2012...

Old 12-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
It's a shame because you can only get the 5.0 NA if you buy a 2011 or 2012...
In retrospect, perhaps I'm blessed by a bit of good fortune that I have not experienced any of the many problems attributed to the 2011 or 2012 Jaguar XJ models. On the other hand, however, I am also aware that the minority of people who have problems flock to the "offending" automobile forums representing the make/model giving them problems, in the hope of problem resolution, a natural reaction.

This then tends to provide a rather distorted perspective of reality, since all the people who are perfectly happy with their vehicle, and have no reason to complain, don't seek out such Forums, nor provide a balanced point-of-view.

Being a mechanical engineer with nearly sixty years of practical experience, I appreciate the negative consequences of undue complexity and/or over-stressed components, i.e.: reducing engine active cylinders by 25% and attempting to make up the difference by adding supercharging, in order to meet the mindless dictates of government dimwits who pass well-meaning but essentially stupid legislation in order to satisfy their equally ignorant constituents.

So, my advise is to stay with the 2011/2012 natural aspirated AJ-V8 Gen III 5.0 Liter 358 HP @6,500 rpm, 380 lbs.-ft of torque @ 3,500 rpm; 32 valve engine with variable timing for all four camshafts, cam profile switching, variable geometry inlet manifold; 11.5 to 1 compression ratio; and direct gasoline injection to the center of the combustion chamber engine, a brilliant piece of robust engineering subsequent supercharged V-6 and V-8 versions of this engine compromise.

Last edited by johndahlheimer; 12-04-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member

I have had problems with all of my Jaguars (OK the '83 XJ6 gets a free pass!), so I'm inclined to think that if the XJs do have problems, I am likely to get it just because I have bad luck!!!

That, and I get really picky about noises and gremlins...

Old 12-05-2014, 06:56 AM
uh2
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
This might sound dumb, but has anyone tried driving without the headliner? Is the noise in the roof structure or something to do with the headliner?
My noise is coming from the headliner. It may be different than what others have. When I push up on the headliner it stops.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:37 AM

Hi All.

Just a quick update. My XJ SC '12 spent last week in the shop. I took the service rep out for a drive Monday morning and let him hear what I am hearing and see what types of surfaces make the noise occur. They thought they had fixed the problem and asked me to drive it over the weekend to see what I thought. I didn't even make it off of the lot before I heard the first rattle. I dropped it off again on Monday as they continue to try and fix this bloody problem. Very disappointing.

Rob

Rob

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi Rob

I have PM'd you regarding your concern.

Regards

Ryan

Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

My '12 XJL with 23K miles never had this popping issue - until yesterday. It has been sitting outside at an airport for 3 weeks in cool weather and when we got into it, we noticed the popping noise from the roof at every tight left turn. However, driving the car about 50 miles, the noise disappeared.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.drummond
Hi All. Just a quick update. My XJ SC '12 spent last week in the shop. I took the service rep out for a drive Monday morning and let him hear what I am hearing and see what types of surfaces make the noise occur. They thought they had fixed the problem and asked me to drive it over the weekend to see what I thought. I didn't even make it off of the lot before I heard the first rattle. I dropped it off again on Monday as they continue to try and fix this bloody problem. Very disappointing. Rob Rob
I'm in Germany with a U.S. spec car and mine has been in three times and is about to be there for the fourth time for this same issue. It's ridiculous that this hasn't been resolved yet. And what's worse is I have to not only take time off of work but I also have to continue to pay for a rental car for the same issue.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy fix? Doesn't seem so....

I've been searching for an XJL for some time now and can't figure out the dealership's response to "popping roofs". At two separate dealerships I have been told that the problem was "a very easy fix" involving the replacement of plastic pieces with rubber ones. What I don't understand is how can they articulate that it is such an easy fix when so many people on this forum appear to have made numerous visits for the correction with poor results.

Thoughts? That is the single largest concern I have with purchasing an XJ.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2013 XJ, SWB, AWD - roof popping...

Hello all: I purchased my 2013 XJ AWD approx. 3 weeks ago. The car is certified as well as under the original warranty. Unfortunately I am experiencing this rattle/popping roof problem as described by others. Quite surprised by it and other than that a very happy camper. Any Chicago members out there experienced this problem and if so, which dealer did you take it to? Did they resolve it? Thank you.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Yikes, I haven't heard of 2013s having the problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone's Roof still popping?