XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Best song to test sound system...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by depeche
It will not play DVD-Audio discs. It will, however play DVDs. There is a difference. It will not play SACDs...
My unit can play DVD-Audio discs just fine, no issues with playback, other than speaker rattles above 40+ volume setting.

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Yes but I am getting the rattles from the driver and passenger door panels and from the headliner right where the sunroof starts. Its pretty annoying. I am going to take it to the dealer to see if they can at least get rid of the vibrations in the door panels. According to Jaguar and Topix there is some kind of vibration kit they can apply. The headliner may end up continuing to be an issue.
Unfortunately, I'm getting that speaker rattle in the passenger door now. I'll have to give that vibration kit a try next service in June. Thanks for the info.

- Mike D.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure they are DVD-A discs, and not DVDs with audio only? If so, I need to retry!

Old 05-22-2012, 07:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by depeche
Are you sure they are DVD-A discs, and not DVDs with audio only? If so, I need to retry!
Yep, the unit definitely plays DVD-Audio discs, I have a dozen favorites or so, give it another try. The unit has played all of them without issue other than the ocassional rattles above the 40 volume setting. Also plays my hybrid SACDs like you said, DTS audio CDs and DVDs, basically everything that I have thrown at it.

My only wish, other than getting those ocassional rattles fixed, would be to somehow get video-in-motion playback of DVDs.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The B&W kit is by far the best in-car hi-fi I've ever heard. I play exclusively ALAC (Apple Lossless) files through an iPod connected to the USB interface. If I want to listen to something on my iPhone but not on the iPod, I'll stream it over Bluetooth, but I find that the sound quality suffers.

As regards test songs, I usually go for tracks that stretch multiple areas of the tonal range simultaneously. Think "Fixed Income" by DJ Shadow (actually most DJ Shadow stuff), but my all-time favourite test track is Daft Punk's "Da Funk". I find that if a system can keep control of the drums and bass while replaying the horn & high-hat without undue harshness, then it's a sound system for me.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Well the B&W is done for 2013. They went with Meridian which is suppose to be a better sounding system. The power is lower but so is the THD which is most important. I am not really sure why they didnt get B&W to step their game up.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Some additional songs to test the sound system

Try Peace of Mind- Boston, School- Supertramp, Sirius- Allan Parsons Project, Surfing with the Alien- Joe Satriani

Old 08-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ExpatJag
Well the B&W is done for 2013. They went with Meridian which is suppose to be a better sounding system. The power is lower but so is the THD which is most important. I am not really sure why they didnt get B&W to step their game up.
I saw that. I tweeted B&W about it and didn't get a reply from them. I'm just glad mine has a B&W system. I'm a real B&W fanboy, as I have DM603 S2 speakers in the study, a Zeppelin iPod dock in the conservatory, and a 7.1 system in the living room using the PV-1 sub, 5 in-wall and 2 in-ceiling speakers.

My wife, when she saw the Bowers & Wilkins badge in the door, remarked upon it and asked whether we were going to buy a car for its stereo!

I can't honestly say that the stereo didn't play a significant part in my purchasing decision!

Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GilesGuthrie
I saw that. I tweeted B&W about it and didn't get a reply from them. I'm just glad mine has a B&W system. I'm a real B&W fanboy, as I have DM603 S2 speakers in the study, a Zeppelin iPod dock in the conservatory, and a 7.1 system in the living room using the PV-1 sub, 5 in-wall and 2 in-ceiling speakers.

My wife, when she saw the Bowers & Wilkins badge in the door, remarked upon it and asked whether we were going to buy a car for its stereo!

I can't honestly say that the stereo didn't play a significant part in my purchasing decision!
I have the DM303's in a 7.1 setup with a LCR3 as the center channel and back surrounds with the matching subwoofer. Like I said earlier my bigger problem seems to be with the car itself and not the actual sound system. Though I do believe they could have used a better door woofer. And the subs in the back deck could have been 10's and utilized more.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Since CD's are inherently flawed there's nothing you can play that will sound even remotely real.
A good piece of Chopin will sort out most vinyl based sound systems but, since CD/DVD are incapable of producing anything like the original sound there's not much point.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes - Roundabout. DTS Audio CD.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, etc.
Eric Kunzel, Cincinnati Symphony Orch
Telarc CD or SACD
(featuring REAL cannon fire!)

Sibelius: Symphony No. 2
Neeme Jarvi, Gothenburg Symphony