XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Brutal -Roof Popping Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by gostratusgray
Was your repair the k 117?
I had to check my records. I was mistaken--it has only been a little over 9 months since my last repair on 10/11/11, but no noise since then (almost 9,000 miles)--the work order says:

Performed repair as per TSB JTB00236.
Fit washers to roof and roof alignment.
1 C2D23230 Kit
101099 Campaign
Part # C2D16894

This is also when they fixed the ticking noise coming from the passenger side dash area--the work order says:

Performed repair as per SSM52597.
Cause: binding at hinges and body panels
Adjusted body panel under hood for noise.

Apparently, I have never had the K117 fix done.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a sub 2k vin 2011 vehicle. I had every issue posted in this forum plague me. I won't repost it all, but just search my userid, I am sure you can find them.

I am on my 2nd vehicle. GM at my dealership took care of me and got me in a second vehicle thankfully. It was fine at first. Now I am having 1/3rd of the same issues that I did with my first vehicle. There is a noise in the B-pillar on the passenger side that sounds like someone is sitting in there with a pencil tapping on the window - and it's loud. What's comical is I took it in 2 weeks ago and like usual, it stopped right as we pulled in. I couldn't replicate it, so I didn't leave it. As Brutal stated, it's not their job to try and track down a noise that they can't hear, so I said 'forget it' and didn't bother leaving it. However, second we got on the road, it came back and hasn't gone away.

You hit the nail on the head. With a car that's this expensive, you don't expect it to be noisy. I hate my car at this point. I feel like the experience of how 'awesome' it was faded when all the issues popped back up again. I'm not one to keep bitching about it to the dealer as it's not like they caused it. What's funny is sometimes I feel like they think I'm making it up to the point I offered to let them take my car home over the weekend so they could experience what I was having issues with.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

@HouseTexJag - I just saw your post about the ticking noise... I wonder if we are having the same issue. Mine however is in the B-pillar area, not the dash. I assume that all the TSBs were done and never thought to ask, but maybe that's my issue.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I had a sub 2k vin 2011 vehicle. I had every issue posted in this forum plague me. I won't repost it all, but just search my userid, I am sure you can find them.

I am on my 2nd vehicle. GM at my dealership took care of me and got me in a second vehicle thankfully. It was fine at first. Now I am having 1/3rd of the same issues that I did with my first vehicle. There is a noise in the B-pillar on the passenger side that sounds like someone is sitting in there with a pencil tapping on the window - and it's loud. What's comical is I took it in 2 weeks ago and like usual, it stopped right as we pulled in. I couldn't replicate it, so I didn't leave it. As Brutal stated, it's not their job to try and track down a noise that they can't hear, so I said 'forget it' and didn't bother leaving it. However, second we got on the road, it came back and hasn't gone away.

You hit the nail on the head. With a car that's this expensive, you don't expect it to be noisy. I hate my car at this point. I feel like the experience of how 'awesome' it was faded when all the issues popped back up again. I'm not one to keep bitching about it to the dealer as it's not like they caused it. What's funny is sometimes I feel like they think I'm making it up to the point I offered to let them take my car home over the weekend so they could experience what I was having issues with.
I feel the same way to the point I almost traded it in.
my dealer did the k117 the noise came back a week later brought it back they forgot to torque the screws to the right specs in back glass of the panoramic roof, in ever thought it could be the back glass.
have them check the back. good luck.

Last edited by aceeg; 07-15-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 PM

By the way I believe it's a design flaw.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
@HouseTexJag - I just saw your post about the ticking noise... I wonder if we are having the same issue. Mine however is in the B-pillar area, not the dash. I assume that all the TSBs were done and never thought to ask, but maybe that's my issue.
My noise was definitely coming from the dash area, not the B-pillar and the fix was under the hood adjacent to where the noise was coming from. I doubt this is your problem. Good luck.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM

Brutal,
With all the roof complaints why are cars leaving the factory in this condition?
Thanks for all your posts.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,467 Likes on 7,444 Posts

Wouldn't that question be better suited for Jaguar North America Corporate offices???

Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by aceeg
Brutal,
With all the roof complaints why are cars leaving the factory in this condition?
Thanks for all your posts.
Well, like you mentioned, and I believe it's true, it's a design flaw. The glass roof and its support tracks is just designed wrong. They probably were under the gun to launch this car, and didn't put the roof through all the testings they should have done. "Hey water doesn't come in, we're good to go!" - maybe that's what they did. It's just too bad, because this is such a beautiful car. I wonder how many customers world wide entered into pause mode on purchasing this car, just because of this issue alone. I still think that on this price range, it becomes difficult to accept such issues. Poor Jaguar, I like this company, but my goodness, get your act together...