XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Buying a 2016 XJL

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update.

My car has been there for about 2 weeks and they have no idea what's wrong. They have changed the IMC (I think that's the name for the cpu/module) at least 3 times and it won't allow them to download navigation maps. They essentially tried replacing this 3 times and are waiting for experts in New Jersey to let them know what's wrong.

They said they're never seen something like this and have no idea how to fix it at the moment.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Artie, i helped a fellow member with a problem in his car where it would just turn off going down the road or it would fall into "failsafe mode" (limiting his speed to 30 mph, on a major highway, he was scared @#$%less). After happening a few times, he took his car in to his local dealership and they couldn't find anything wrong with his car. he was also experiencing some other what would appear to be random problems (the big one being the radio was not responding properly and would do funny things). If I remember things correctly, he ended up pulling the radio out of the dash and found that the CAN Bus connection was loose. After putting the CAN bus connector back on properly, the car has worked flawlessly for him. I think you might find this of interest. Sounding fairly similar to me.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Thermo, they found the problem. It was a faulty USB module.

They were able to do the update over the air. They've had my car for almost 3 weeks. I can't wait to get it back today.

I want to get your opinion on something. Let me know if I'm in the wrong here.

My InControll App has been freezing when I try to use Spotify. I showed them videos of it and I was told to uninstall and reinstall the apps which doesn't fix the problem.

The tech told me there's not much they can do since the InControl app is old and doesn't get updates anymore. He told me Android Auto could fix it, but I had to pay $500 for it. I told him that I shouldn't pay since it's under warranty and the app doesn't work as intended.

If it doesn't work as intended, they should make it work and if that requires the update to the latest version (android/apple auto) they should do it without charging me. Am I being unreasonable here? He told me they would have to talk with their manager to see what they can do. If the manager declines, I was planning to contact corporate.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:26 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Boswell19
MyXJ is 2015 x351 Portfolio . Also heard about sunroof noises. Mine occasionally gives a slight knock. Mostly fixed after smearing high temperature grease in the workings/rail, when open. It hardly bothers me now. Otherwise no other faults at all after 2 years ownership.
Hey Boswell, could you be more specific on this piece? My car also makes "noises" when the sunroof is closed, not sure if that's what you're referring to. If so, can you tell me which grease you bought and how was it applied? For me the noises sound like the car is shifting at the ceiling, like stressing a bit. It's weird, I can't really explain it.