F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential upgrade from 2016 Miata Club to 2016 F-Type V6S

Old 03-10-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Potential upgrade from 2016 Miata Club to 2016 F-Type V6S

Hey everyone!

New member here and potentially about to purchase an F-Type as an upgrade over my 2016 Miata Club. So, a 2016 V6S has popped up on my radar and I am going to make my decision tomorrow whether or not I will be purchasing it. Wanted to know from you all a couple of things, but first some background info...

1. My 2016 Miata is still very new (around 12k miles) and I still very much enjoy it. It's the Club with the brembo/bbs package.
2. I work from home so I drive <4k miles a year.
3. The V6S is listed at $49k. It is CPO up until end of 2021 with <10k miles on it. It has several upgrade (steering wheel, panorama roof, etc.) and was listed at $78k. It had 1 previous owner which was the person who leased it before selling it back to Jaguar.
4. I would be trading in my Miata, but the trade-in value I got was pretty good only losing about 4.5k on my Miata from what I paid back in 2017.

I've gone in for a test drive on the V6S already. The sound, the drive, everything was perfect.
This will be my first Jaguar and after reading some of the stories, I'm a bit hesitant on reliability. The CPO gives me peace of mind as does the ability to extend it, but I'm scared it'll be in the shop a lot of the times...

What are your experiences?
Is this a good deal on the V6S?
Anyone go from a Miata or similar and have not regretted it?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2019, 02:23 PM

Forgot to mention that this V6S is a manual!

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

If you want it, you'd better move after checking it out. Manuals are discontinued for new models. I suspect they may become rare. Here is one that sold on BAT recently. It had been upgraded with ceramic brake/wheel package and some carbon fiber stuff. I thought it was a great deal. Search the forum. There are a lot of threads on reliability. Most of us forum regulars (I can't speak for everyone though), including me would buy ours all over again, but YMMV.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2016-jaguar-f-type-4/

If you are not familiar with BAT (Bring a Trailer), the bidders comments are the usually very informational.

You will want the Vision Pack option. Other manual V6S owners can weigh in. It may be one of the more coveted models due to Manual and with some weight savings and tuning mods, it will likely be the best handling of the models.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-10-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...bility-209814/

Here's one thread to get you started. There are others. Good luck and hope to see you in an F type soon!

Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM

Thank you for that info! Yes, the BAT comments were very informative. I don't think it came with the Vision Pack, I've attached the build/price sheet for this vehicle.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member

I believe the Vision pack adds adaptive headlights, front and rear parking sensors, blind spot warning, rear cross-traffic alert and closing vehicle sensing. In the coupe it is something you will likely want/need. I use all of the above regularly. The resident V6S owners will be along shortly to weigh-in on V6 features and give opinions. The CPO and low mileage is good. Have you checked auto buy sites like Cargurus.com or Autotraders to see how this compares price wise and if there are Manuals out there to be had?

Please ignore the stuff before the " I believe...." can't get rid of it.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM

Is the Vision Pack something I can ask to add?

Yep, I've checked Autotrader, CarGurus, Cars.com and the value on KBB. This seems to be a good to borderline great deal from what I'm seeing... It's very hard to find a low mileage CPO manual V6S, even nation wide.

Here is the autotrader link to the vehicle:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...eBackLink=true

Last edited by Hha89; 03-10-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

No, the rear backup camera is the one feature that really helps. I also use the blind spot detection a lot. Some more knowledgeable V6 owners hopefully will come along and chime in.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a rare Firesand one with lots of options, including vision pack:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=233308218

Old 03-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

That price sheet tells you little about what options the car does or does not have, for that info you need to go to the Topix web site and plug in the VIN.
Of the various driver aids mentioned by jaguny there is only one which I have found really useful, the reverse cross traffic alert, it has saved me a few times from embarrassment or even a minor bingle as the 3/4 rear vision in the coupe is non-existent. The reversing camera is handy but I find I don't really need it.
It is an S so it already has a handful of extras that the base doesn't have - 375 HP engine, LSD, switchable active exhaust, 19" wheels and "high performance" brakes (380 mm front instead of 355 mm). It also looks like the one you are looking at has the pano roof which most prefer. Other desirable things to check for are "performance" seats (as an upgrade to the standard "sports" seats), 14 way electric seat adjustment including memory, the 770 watt surround sound system and full extended leather interior trim, the Topix build sheet will show if it does or does not have these things.

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:09 PM

Yeah, now that I'm reading more and more about it, it seems like that's a really helpful addition. I was a bit concerned with visibility when test driving it, but only had it on the road for about 10-15 minutes (they were closing soon).

I'll still keep reviewing the various threads and doing more research, but I really appreciate the feedback, especially all the info you've provided, jaguny. Thank you.

I think I'm leaning towards waiting a little bit longer until the right model with the right options pop up, but we'll see

Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM

Registered for Topix and here are the minor options list:
  • 19X8.5 FR/19X9.5 RR PROPELLER
  • 245/40 FRT/275/35 RR ZR19
  • ACTIVE SPORT EXHAUST
  • AMBIENT LIGHTING-CONFIGURABLE
  • AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR
  • AUTOMATIC HEADLAMP ON/OFF
  • BLUETOOTH CONNECTIVITY
  • BONNET LOUVRE SINGLE - GLS BLK
  • BRAKE CALIPERS-BLACK
  • BUMPER INSERT - SATIN BLACK
  • BUMPERS-PLASTIC-BLACK
  • CARPET-EBONY
  • CASTLE BROMWICH
  • CCR CENTRE CONSOLE
  • CCR COCKPIT
  • CCR DOOR CASING - CORE
  • CCR FRONT BUMPERS
  • CCR FRONT DAMPER
  • CCR HEADLINING
  • CCR REAR BUMPERS
  • CCR REAR DAMPER
  • CCR SEATS
  • CENTRE CONSOLE - BASE
  • CRUISE CONTROL
  • DEPLOYABLE SPOILER NAS COUPE
  • DR TRIM PNL-PVC
  • DRIVERS SEAT - SPORTS
  • ENGINE POWER SOURCE - 380/470
  • EXT TRIM SURROUNDS-CHROME
  • FLOOR MATS-PREMIUM
  • FOOT PEDAL - STANDARD
  • GEN 2.1 HEAD UNIT
  • GRILLE-BLK MESH/CHROME SRD
  • H.D. RADIO AND SDARS
  • HEADLINING - MORZINE
  • HIGH PERF BRAKE PROGRAMME
  • HTD/P-FOLD/MEM/APP.LIGHTS
  • INCONTROL APPS
  • INSTR CLUS SURR-SATIN CHROME
  • INT ENV COL - JET
  • INTERIOR GRAPHITE TRIM ACCENT
  • INTERIOR SWITCH BEZEL BLACK
  • INTERIOR SWITCH FINISH BLACK
  • IP FAC CNTRST-JET/JET
  • IP INSERT - DARK ALUM S BADGE
  • IP-PVC
  • JDO CONFIGUREABLE DYN MDE (DNU
  • JET HEADLINER
  • JET TUNNEL CONSOLE
  • KEYLESS ENTRY/START-PASSIVE
  • KIT TYRE REPAIR - HIGH LINE
  • LAMINATED WNDSCRN
  • MANUAL GEARSHIFT
  • MID SERIES ANALOG CLUSTER
  • NAS LITERATURE PACK
  • NAV DATA - N AMERICA/MEXICO
  • NAVIGATION CENTRE-COLOR NAS
  • NON LOCKABLE STOWAGE BIN
  • PASS PROGRAMABLE SEAT CONTROL
  • PASSENGER SEAT - SPORTS
  • POLARIS WHITE/FUJI WHITE
  • POWER 14-WAY DRIV SEAT ADJUST
  • POWER 14-WAY PASS SEAT ADJUST
  • PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM
  • PROGRAMMABLE DRIVER SEAT
  • PWR ADJ STNG COL W/MRY
  • RAIN SENSOR-FRONT W/WPR
  • REAR AXLE LIMITED SLIP DIFF
  • REAR BUMPER - GLOSS BLACK
  • ROOF - FIXED PANORAMIC
  • SEAT BELT - STANDARD NAS
  • SEATBELT - JET
  • SIDE DR TRDPLT-METAL
  • SIDE VENTS - BRIGHT
  • SOS/ASSISTANCE CALL
  • SPORTS EXHAUST TONE
  • STARTER SYSTEM - STOP/START
  • STNG WHL - S BRANDED
  • SULEV 30 - EMISSION NAS
  • SUNVISOR,SINGLE-DRV MIR INSERT
  • TAILGATE/BOOTLID -CONVENTIONAL
  • TCU MODULE - NAS
  • TPO CONSOLE MATERIAL
  • TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM
  • USA
  • VIN CODE C
  • XENON HEADLAMPS
  • LESS AIR DEFLECTOR
  • LESS AIR PURIFIER SENSOR
  • LESS AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST
  • LESS BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYS
  • LESS BREAKDOWN WARNING SIGN
  • LESS CAMERA
  • LESS CONSOLE CONTRAST STITCH
  • LESS CONTRAST STITCHING
  • LESS DOOR STITCH
  • LESS FIRST AID KIT
  • LESS FRONT PARKING AID
  • LESS GARAGE DOOR OPENER
  • LESS HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN
  • LESS HEATED STEERING WHEELS
  • LESS IP CONTRAST STITCH
  • LESS REVERSE PARKING AID
  • LESS ROLL BAR FINISH
  • LESS SIDE SILLS
  • LESS SPARE WHEEL
  • LESS SVP
  • LESS TEMP CONTROL DRIVER SEAT
  • LESS TEMP CONTROL PASSNGR SEAT
  • LESS TRIM SEAT INSERT
  • LESS TV RECEIVER

Old 03-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I am only going to address one narrow question. Don't be scared. They are a little quirky, but they are reasonably, maybe more than reasonably reliable. At some point it will wear out, but that could well be a dozen years down the road. The posts above however address the real issue. Make sure it is equipped the way you want/need it to be. Its not going to change after you buy it. The "vision thing" is important. The Vert is particularly hard to see out of. One learns to be very careful and slow. But the ownership/driviing experience is very very good, especially if you like to talk to strangers in parking lots.

DPelletier (03-11-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Based on the build sheet that car has a couple of the desirable options but it is also missing a lot.
It has the 14 way power seats with memory, but they are only the sports seats not the performance seats.
It has the Meridian 770W surround sound system (I think!).
It does not have a reversing camera and it appears to not even have front or rear parking sensors.
It does not have the Vision Pack or reverse cross traffic alert.
It does not have a heated steering wheel.
It does not have a power tail gate.
It is almost a "stripper" S manual.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Hha89
Forgot to mention that this V6S is a manual!
Well, there are couple advantage of F-type over Miata. For one, other men will stop trying to hit on you.

F-type MT is a rare beast, and if you ask me purest F-type to be had. They also don't make them anymore, you can't order new one with a MT. However, V6S MT has two key weakness - clutch and differential. If clutch is original, it will explode within first 20K of driving, especially if you push it. If clutch is second generation, it will take out differential and synchronizes if you push the car as it is too harsh. It took a while for JLR to get it somewhat right (4th gen clutch seems to be it) and foolishly, they won't just replace your clutch preemptively, it has to fail first. All of these problems does not mean the car is awful, but it does mean you will have to sort it out before you can enjoy it to its fullest potential.

Last edited by SinF; 03-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:32 PM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Are you going to miss the top going down? I'm a little surprised you're considering the coupe with the Miata being a roadster, Not having the Vision Pack would be a non stater for me.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

The vision pack is definitely something you should consider holding out for. After 3.5 years with the car, I'm finally to a point where it's really not needed as the mirrors are now adjusted properly and I can, without thinking, twist and turn myself to get the right view angle for most situations. That won't be possible in a convertible with the roof up.

Also, coming from the Miata, you will eventually find the throw on the stick to be on a par with that of a pick-up truck. That can be easily resolved with a short-shifter from VelocityAP, if they are still carrying them. Otherwise you can source it out of the Netherlands.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:30 AM

I traded my 2017 Miata RF Club retractible fastback with the Brembo/BBS wheel combo, 6 speed manual for a 2016 F Type, automatic. I was really in a quandary for a while whether I wanted to do this. It was an unusual opportunity that probably wouldn't repeat again, so I went for it, traded for the 2016 F Type with 10k miles on it. I had the same attraction to the car as most buyers do and I've had the F Type now for 3 months. I love the car but truth be told, I miss the "connection" with the road and the feeling of tighter control driving that I had in the Miata. There is some truth to the Miata philosophy of driver-car being one.

Last edited by Mfiles; 03-11-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Based on the build sheet that car has a couple of the desirable options but it is also missing a lot.
It has the 14 way power seats with memory, but they are only the sports seats not the performance seats.
It has the Meridian 770W surround sound system (I think!).
It does not have a reversing camera and it appears to not even have front or rear parking sensors.
It does not have the Vision Pack or reverse cross traffic alert.
It does not have a heated steering wheel.
It does not have a power tail gate.
It is almost a "stripper" S manual.
770W surround is standard in the US for all 2016 variants so it will definitely have that.
Agreed that it's a stripper with almost no options - the unfortunate reality is that most manual examples are specced this way and it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy that no one buys them.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I can, without thinking, twist and turn myself to get the right view angle for most situations.
Here's a picture of Lance limbering up:

jaguny (03-11-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential upgrade from 2016 Miata Club to 2016 F-Type V6S