F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential upgrade from 2016 Miata Club to 2016 F-Type V6S

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

You have learned fast. And what you say is in the pricing.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I would not buy unless your dealer is very close to home.

You cannot toss this car around like the Miata

Old 03-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Don1954
You cannot toss this car around like the Miata
Not when the Miata has a kerb weight of 2400 pounds !

Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE:

First of all, a BIG thank you to everyone for the feedback and advice, I really appreciate it. I've decided to decline on purchasing the V6S. I think I was trying to make it work, but in the end it did not tick off a lot of the things I really wanted, felt like I was settling because it's pretty hard to find a low mileage, M/T, F-Type that was CPO'd. This forum and you folks have been awesome and even though I may not own a Jaguar (yet), I think I'll be sticking around, hope you all don't mind

Old 03-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Here's a picture of Lance limbering up:
How'd you know? That's my warm-up routine for softball games.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:50 AM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Ha, this is bizarre: I just traded in my miata for a manual v6s.

However, unlike you, I had a long time to think about it (I got to drive a similar spec f type last August).

I loved the heck out of my miata. Fun on wheels. However, it had its limitations (power and comfort being the standouts, both addressed by the f type). I'm planning to pick up another down the road, when I have space for it and time to play with it.

I do miss the lightness, the "tossability", and the shifter (that sweet, sweet shifter).

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 03-13-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I kept my CaymanS because I love everything about the driving experience and like the look. I purchased the R because I love the look and like how it drives.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre

I do miss the lightness, the "tossability", and the shifter (that sweet, sweet shifter).
Forged wheels, 2pc rotors and a lithium battery will address 140 lbs of the weight issue and the short shifter will get you much closer to the Miata feel.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Forged wheels, 2pc rotors and a lithium battery will address 140 lbs of the weight issue and the short shifter will get you much closer to the Miata feel.
Don't forget about pulling out half of your spark plugs so it runs on few cylinders, otherwise you won't get that authentic Miata feel of flooring the accelerator and nothing happens.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean we are not ALL driving Manual Transmission Sports Cars?
I FULLY Enjoy Mine whenever I am behind the wheel.
"**** Hot", in looks and drive feel, pardon the Salty Text...
If you pull the trigger, (I personally have no regrets), I would suggest turning off the auto engine shut down when waiting at a light: for example if you shift into neutral and use the brake while you wait the light or whatever, the engine shuts down and restarts when you depress the clutch to shift into gear. Besides being annoying (in my humble opinion), But what kind of Manual Shift Driver would actually do that? I mean actually using the brakes while "standing".
I am sure you will "choose Wisely".

Old 10-29-2019, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FTYPEV6S
You mean we are not ALL driving Manual Transmission Sports Cars?
I FULLY Enjoy Mine whenever I am behind the wheel.
"**** Hot", in looks and drive feel, pardon the Salty Text...
If you pull the trigger, (I personally have no regrets), I would suggest turning off the auto engine shut down when waiting at a light: for example if you shift into neutral and use the brake while you wait the light or whatever, the engine shuts down and restarts when you depress the clutch to shift into gear. Besides being annoying (in my humble opinion), But what kind of Manual Shift Driver would actually do that? I mean actually using the brakes while "standing".
I am sure you will "choose Wisely".
Since the OP has not posted in the last seven months, I suspect he or she did not opt for an F type.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

My guess is "related thread" has struck again. It was a fiendish mind that devised that.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about lithium battery though?
Could you explain what's wrong with the OEM one, and what's the weight difference between it and yours?
And if possible anything to find the right one (model, link)

Thx

Old 10-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Not sure about lithium vs OEM differences.
I found a Duralast through my local AutoZone, meeting and actually exceeding the specs on the Original Equipment Factory Battery.
$194.00 Beating Dealership.

I believe the OEM simply suffered long term storage damage. My F Type V6 S, sat for about a year with below minimal runs, "My Bad" (did I just type that?)
The battery still works, and I am no longer getting any low battery start Vehicle warnings, as I am using a Tender after every use; but I am going to install the new battery myself.
My F TYPE is my Fantasy toy, used on the weekends primarily or special occasions or out to dinner, etc. So it sits always for about a week at a time now.

As soon as I can figure it out or get Forum advice as to getting the Battery hold down off... Frustrating. There are no YouTubes or other helps I can find.
The fender side screw is easy, but the other end is buried deep in styrofoam connected to ?, but I cannot figure out how to get that end freed.

Takeaway: GET AND ALWAYS USE A BATTERY TENDER!!!

I hope this was helpful.

Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Oooops!
Really good POINT!!!
That made me laugh!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nznoonee
What about lithium battery though?
Could you explain what's wrong with the OEM one, and what's the weight difference between it and yours?
And if possible anything to find the right one (model, link)

Thx
The OEM battery is about 60 lbs and the lithium battery is 40 lbs lighter and will last 5-7 times longer. Other than that, nothing’s wrong with the OEM battery. Since I bought my AntiGravity RS-30 lithium battery, several new models have been introduced, mire closely matching the dimensions of the OEM battery. You’ll need to do some research to choose the right one. With the new battery, my car has sat for weeks at a time, no tender, and started quite easily at temperatures down to 10°F. Once or twice, the battery control module has gone wonky due to an ODB access, and the battery has shut itself off. A simple push of the button on top of the battery has enabled me to start the car without jumpstarting it.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FTYPEV6S
Not sure about lithium vs OEM differences.
I found a Duralast through my local AutoZone, meeting and actually exceeding the specs on the Original Equipment Factory Battery.
$194.00 Beating Dealership.

I believe the OEM simply suffered long term storage damage. My F Type V6 S, sat for about a year with below minimal runs, "My Bad" (did I just type that?)
The battery still works, and I am no longer getting any low battery start Vehicle warnings, as I am using a Tender after every use; but I am going to install the new battery myself.
My F TYPE is my Fantasy toy, used on the weekends primarily or special occasions or out to dinner, etc. So it sits always for about a week at a time now.

As soon as I can figure it out or get Forum advice as to getting the Battery hold down off... Frustrating. There are no YouTubes or other helps I can find.
The fender side screw is easy, but the other end is buried deep in styrofoam connected to ?, but I cannot figure out how to get that end freed.

Takeaway: GET AND ALWAYS USE A BATTERY TENDER!!!

I hope this was helpful.
The styrofoam should lift out easily to gain access to the floor mounted bolt.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OEM battery is about 60 lbs and the lithium battery is 40 lbs lighter and will last 5-7 times longer. Other than that, nothing’s wrong with the OEM battery. Since I bought my AntiGravity RS-30 lithium battery, several new models have been introduced, mire closely matching the dimensions of the OEM battery. You’ll need to do some research to choose the right one. With the new battery, my car has sat for weeks at a time, no tender, and started quite easily at temperatures down to 10°F. Once or twice, the battery control module has gone wonky due to an ODB access, and the battery has shut itself off. A simple push of the button on top of the battery has enabled me to start the car without jumpstarting it.
Wow, thanks, never knew (shame) and even thought that there were lithium car batteries, having all those features like capacity indicators and stuff. But the price... Gonna need another year to get used to the idea.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

If I recall, Unhingd also carries a small battery to connect to the car to power the trunk release, so he can push the button on the battery. Other brands have Bluetooth capability.

My battery is 6+ years old, so a replacement isn’t too far off.

Old 10-31-2019, 07:12 AM

That is interesting. It was a shocker to discover how impenetrable the trunk was with a dead battery. The glove box doesn't even open, btw.
If I had locked the vehicle it would have been a nightmare.
Thanks for the reply and info.
Have a great day and weekend coming up.
Enjoy your Drives
FTYPEV6S

Quick Reply: Potential upgrade from 2016 Miata Club to 2016 F-Type V6S