XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

California Smog Check

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default California Smog Check

Hi. I need some help. I am trying to pass a smog check on my late husband's 2008 Jaguar XJ. He was sick and unable to drive for about 2 years, so the car was rarely driven. I can't sell the car without currently registration and I cannot register the car without a smog check.

The battery drained completely and not the smog check place is saying that I need to drive it enough to reset the sensors. So far, I have driven 500 miles and the one picture here still has no reset. I have seen numerous posts with instructions. It seems this is a common problem. However, some of these instructions are complicated and require a level of car knowledge I do not have. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to reset this particular sensor? I appreciate it. I really want to get rid of this car. It just causes painful feelings everytime I walk into the garage. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,231 Likes on 1,763 Posts

Your doing a good job and really it's not technical just a bit fiddly with how they want you to drive the car. I have had like others weeks of driving before the monitors all set. There is no short cut.

You said you followed some directions? There are several with long coast downs and then stationary for a set time and then turn the front wheels. I found I could not do any of that with traffic around?

In Texas you allowed 1 monitor to not be set during inspection. Do you need all of them set in Ca?
Do you have a check engine light on?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Received 2,578 Likes on 1,783 Posts

What DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are stored in the system? You can probably get them using the tester you show in the photo.

If not, go to an AutoZone, or other parts house, and they can tell you what pending or set codes are stored. A repair may be needed to get the monitors to reset for the smog test.

The following users liked this post:
Wende Frost (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Your doing a good job and really it's not technical just a bit fiddly with how they want you to drive the car. I have had like others weeks of driving before the monitors all set. There is no short cut.

You said you followed some directions? There are several with long coast downs and then stationary for a set time and then turn the front wheels. I found I could not do any of that with traffic around?

In Texas you allowed 1 monitor to not be set during inspection. Do you need all of them set in Ca?
I am guessing your in the DFW? When I moved up to this area from San Antonio in 2015 (after getting out of the Army) I was surprised to find out there was emission testing here. I live out in Hunt county now so there is no emissions testing out here!

Where do you currently get your car serviced at?? I had some work done at AutoScope and have been less then satisfied by the technicians there.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Best solution is to move out of CA with the rest of the smart people.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

No I am in the Houston area. I am DIY as much as I can but currently my XJR is still under CPO warranty so I let the dealer do any work. Funny thing is I have not had a single problem and have only gone to the dealer for an oil change because of the difficulty in getting the right oil!

But I am a bit spoiled because I can use the dealer that the legendary Brutal works at. Bill is so knowledgeable that it's a comfort just knowing I can take to someone like that!

Hopefully they will post back with some codes.
Have you followed the drive sequence?
See attached.

Attached Files

Last edited by clubairth1; 06-12-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:46 AM

There is no check engine light.

I think all of the monitors need to pass in California. I just know I keep going in and they keep telling me "it isn't ready."

Old 06-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1bad55chevy
I am guessing your in the DFW? When I moved up to this area from San Antonio in 2015 (after getting out of the Army) I was surprised to find out there was emission testing here. I live out in Hunt county now so there is no emissions testing out here!

Where do you currently get your car serviced at?? I had some work done at AutoScope and have been less then satisfied by the technicians there.
I am in the Los Angeles area. From what I am reading, many Jags have trouble passing in CA.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JagGate
Best solution is to move out of CA with the rest of the smart people.
I agree. I am ready to leave California. However, I would still need to sell this car before I left because I can't drive his car and my car when I finally get out of here.

JagGate (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM

No I am in the Houston area. I am DIY as much as I can but currently my XJR is still under CPO warranty so I let the dealer do any work. Funny thing is I have not had a single problem and have only gone to the dealer for an oil change because of the difficulty in getting the right oil!

But I am a bit spoiled because I can use the dealer that the legendary Brutal works at. Bill is so knowledgeable that it's a comfort just knowing I can take to someone like that!

Hopefully they will post back with some codes.
Have you followed the drive sequence?
See attached.

Honestly, I don't know what "drive sequence" and "codes" even mean. I am just trying to sell the car. Honestly, if I could abandon the car at this point I would. But unfortunately, I can't just drop it off at Goodwill. I need to find a way to sell it. It makes me cry every day so I am just trying to figure out how to get rid of the darn thing.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

How much is an emission waiver? Around here it is $450. Could you de-register it and just let it sit in a garage or something until it sells? I'd think that would sell fairly quickly once advertised. If not, ship it to your new location. It is around $1000 to ship to another state.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,421 Likes on 7,426 Posts

Wende, I don't know which repair shop you too it to, but here's two that I suggest.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/exotic-motorcars-jaguar-upland

Al & Lee's Auto Care Center

Exotic Motors Cars is an independent Jag repair shop and Al and Lee's I known for years, I highly rate them. Both places are in Upland.

Good luck

Wende Frost (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by JagGate
How much is an emission waiver? Around here it is $450. Could you de-register it and just let it sit in a garage or something until it sells? I'd think that would sell fairly quickly once advertised. If not, ship it to your new location. It is around $1000 to ship to another state.
I don't think you can get such a thing as a waiver. It needs to be fully registered to sell. It has been sitting in the garage for 2 years because my husband couldn't drive but refused to sell it;. Now I just want to sell it. I hate this car more than words can say. It is going to CarMax because I am not letting strangers come to my house and take my keys and drive the car away and hope they come back. And I don't know how to haggle. All I want is to get a few thousand so I can buy my kid a car in 2 years.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Wende, I don't know which repair shop you too it to, but here's two that I suggest.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/exotic-motorcars-jaguar-upland

Al & Lee's Auto Care Center

Exotic Motors Cars is an independent Jag repair shop and Al and Lee's I known for years, I highly rate them. Both places are in Upland.

Good luck
Thank you. I had no idea I would need to go to a Jag shop, so this help a lot. Thank you.

They just keep telling me to drive the unregistered car a bit longer, but 600 miles hasn't done the trick yet. So thank you for these recommendations. Maybe they can do something.

Jayt2 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Did you read what I posted?
Did you follow the driving instructions in the document?

You need the proper combination of driving conditions for the system to set the readiness monitors.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18,421 Likes on 7,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Wende Frost
Thank you. I had no idea I would need to go to a Jag shop, so this help a lot. Thank you.

They just keep telling me to drive the unregistered car a bit longer, but 600 miles hasn't done the trick yet. So thank you for these recommendations. Maybe they can do something.
To clarify, All and Lee's is not an indy Jag shop, just a very good auto repair shop.

Wende Frost (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 11:11 PM

Did you read what I posted?
Did you follow the driving instructions in the document?

You need the proper combination of driving conditions for the system to set the readiness monitors.
I honestly don't understand the directions in the document. I have run across these types of instructions, but I don't understand what they mean. It was what inspired my original post. Because I have seen the instructions, but I don't understand the terminology. But thank you for trying to help.