XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

Chasing a front end clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by agentorange
With the car turned off (i.e. no power steering) is the knock there if you rock the steering wheel? If so, you probably have a joint gone in the column. Happened to me on the 2012 I recently bought at under 40k miles.
i have this happening to my car. What part is the joint that is gone in the column ? Thanks

Old 07-19-2018, 05:33 AM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Loulizjag,
If you read through the thread, you’ll see that several of us have had experience of a ‘knock’ at the front.
A simple way to check is to raise the car on jacks so that the weight is off the front suspension arms and the wheels are hanging down. Leave it over night and then take it out for a test. If the ‘knock’ has gone but returns later in the day then the bushes to the anti roll bar have failed. This was a regular problem I had with my S-Type although my XJ has been fine so far. The weight of the car flattens the bushes into an oval shape. IMO The Jaguar material is not fit for purpose. My independent Jag service garage also increased the torque settings to the swing arms when they replaced the bushes and the clunk was no more.

The following 2 users liked this post by Langstraat:
ThatMan (10-02-2021), XJ8JR (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Langstraat
Loulizjag,
If you read through the thread, you’ll see that several of us have had experience of a ‘knock’ at the front.
A simple way to check is to raise the car on jacks so that the weight is off the front suspension arms and the wheels are hanging down. Leave it over night and then take it out for a test. If the ‘knock’ has gone but returns later in the day then the bushes to the anti roll bar have failed. This was a regular problem I had with my S-Type although my XJ has been fine so far. The weight of the car flattens the bushes into an oval shape. IMO The Jaguar material is not fit for purpose. My independent Jag service garage also increased the torque settings to the swing arms when they replaced the bushes and the clunk was no more.
I hadn't heard of that test before. Good to know.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually i have 2 clunkings, one when i move the steering left and right and one when i’m driving on bad roads, mzybe they are the same. With a freind we took out the tie rod and the cluncking was still here and was heared from the rack and pinion when mooving right and left. What do you think of that ? Thanks

Last edited by loulizjag; 07-19-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by loulizjag
actually i have 2 clunkings, one when i move the steering left and right and one when i’m driving on bad roads, mzybe they are the same. With a freind we took out the tie rod and the cluncking was still here and was heared from the rack and pinion when mooving right and left. What do you think of that ? Thanks
I tend to agree with you regarding the steering clunking sound. The suspension clunking is entirely different.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
I hadn't heard of that test before. Good to know.

I found that out the hard way. On each occasion that the dealership took the car in to find the fault, they raised it on the hoist, checked everything out with the wheels dangling down and because they couldn’t find anything wrong took the car out for a test drive. On each occasion that the weight had been lifted from the bushes the clunking stopped and they thought I was just another moaning nuisance. Within a day the clunking reappeared. The problem when checking out these faults is that the cars suspension needs to be checked when it’s under a load and not with the weight removed.
The bushes had become oval and only held the anti roll bar at the bottom leaving play in the top and both sides.
A poor choice of Bush material that a Jaguar would not admit too.

Last edited by Langstraat; 07-20-2018 at 06:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ThatMan (10-02-2021)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

That's really interesting because basically the same thing was happening to me the first time I had this dilemma. Everything I tried or replaced would cure the clunk for a day or two only. But I never put two and two together to figure out a good testing method.

Langstraat (07-20-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 07:42 AM
SWA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polyesterpig
Update : The XJ has 95K miles on it now. I had the plugs changed at an independent shop last month. I told him about the knock and informed him of EVERYTHING I had replaced at the dealership. He called me and said my front sway bar bushings were worn and were causing the clunk. I informed him I already had those replaced. He held to his diagnostic. Since his cost to change the plugs was half of the dealerships price, I gave him the go ahead on the sway bar bushings. I asked him if he would guarantee that this would solve the clunk/knock. He wouldn't, but he REALLY believed this was the issue. Well after 1000+ miles on the new bushings, the knock is finally gone! I didn't want to post right away, just in case the knock came back in a couple weeks. Drove the car from California to Las Vegas and back, and a few weeks going to work and back. NO KLUNK. Like a new car! The sway bar bushings were the first thing I replaced many miles ago? I chased that clunk with many dollars and time. Makes me wonder if they were actually changed at the dealership the first time? Well at least at 95K miles, all of my suspension is near new. Good for another 95K miles.
Hi, I'm new to the forum and am having the same problem with my 2011 Jaguar XJL Supercharged. I've been having the knocking noise since the car had around 35K miles.Im now at 51K. I drove with it and just tolerated it along with the speratic engine idling that comes and goes. Anyway that's a different topic. But the knocking has now officially drove me crazy. The car is too beautiful to have a noise like this. Sometimes it's outright embarrassing when you have people riding in the car. Anyway, I did the same as alot of you guys.. replaced just about everything but the swaybar bushings and links. You mentioned that the mechanic replaced the bushings with aftermarket one's. Do you recall the name of the brand? I really don't want to go with factory swaybar bushings if there's a suspected flaw. Any suggestions?
Oh on another note, I had a mechanic that was trying to locate the noise, he told me that when he removed the sway links on both sides and drove the car the knocking noise disappeared. He said he thought it was the links so he replaced them with one's he had in the shop but the noise came right back even with new links. IDK, why would the noise stop when he removed the links but come back even with new ones? Could this really be because of the sway bushings? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

This usually happens when the car has been off the ground. My front bushings have been replaced at 79k and that removed my clunk and am at 92.5k now, but I use OEM parts so cannot help you on aftermarket bushings.

SWA (12-21-2018)
Old 12-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

The sway bar end links are different than the sway bar bushings.
Both are wear item's and both can cause noise.

He did the correct test: Remove the sway bar ends links connection to the suspension. This is easy and is only 1 bolt on each side.
Then drive the car. If no noise then it's either the sway bar end links, sway bar bushings or both.
Since both items are pretty cheap I would just go ahead and replace both items.

SWA (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 06:43 PM
SWA
Thumbs up Problem solved... No more clunk

Man I tell you, this is why having a forum rocks... with all the wealth of experience and knowledge being passed along it makes dealing with car problems easier. I just wish I had joined earlier. I'm happy to report with a big a$$ smile on my face, that irritating knocking, clunk noise is GONE. After spending gobs of money on replacing both upper control arms, outer tie end rods, lower front and rear control arm bushings, alignments, who'd have ever thought that changing something like sway bar bushings would quiet this cat. OMG, man this has been a roller coaster ride... I've had 3 different mechanics look at my car and none of them have said it was the sway bar bushings. Don't get me wrong, the front and rear lower control arm bushings were a little jacked up and one of the upper control arm's bearings was busted, so I'm glad they're replaced, but even with changing those things the noise never disappeared. Did it quiet it a little, yes, but just a little, barely. But replacing the sway bar bushings did the trick. After thinking about what mechanic #3 did by removing the stabilizer bar link, which eliminated the noise, I decided to do a little mechanic investigation myself. With the car on the ground, I turned the wheels just enough so that I could reach under the car, grab and shake the crap out of the sway bar. It took a few times to make it move, but when it did, presto, it was the same sound I was hearing when I drove over road imperfections. That in itself convinced me to order a set of bushings. I will say finding aftermarket sway bar (stabilizer bar) bushings for the car was a chore. All I could find was Jaguar OEM, which obviously don't last long. I was finally able to locate which seems to be some bad a$$ bushings from Powerflex. It's their Front Anti Roll Bar Bushing - Part Number: PFF27-604-31.5x2. I had a local shop install them. The mechanic (number 4 now) admitted that he didn't think the factory one's looked like they were in bad shape when he first inspected them, and after looking at them myself and only looking at the outside of them like everybody else, they did look fine. But the inside was a different matter. You could see that they had expanded and were worn, so it's important to actually take them off to inspect and not just visually look at the outside like my mechanic #3 did.

So I, like others, recommend replacing them first and if your Sway Bar Links look jacked up, replace them too. I didn't because mine looked and sounded like they were in good condition. Overall I'm super happy and now my car sounds like it did when I first purchased it. The only thing I have to figure out is why my steering wheel vibrates a little at speeds over 55 mph. I'll deal with that in the near future... for now, I'm just enjoying the quiet ride, outside of my exhaust, which I love too.

Oh here's the info for the sway bar bushings just in case. You may have to copy & paste. Thank to those who replied and to those who have given their insights.

https://powerflexusa.com/jaguarstype...ing-1-1-2.aspx

DanJensen (11-02-2020)
Old 12-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member

So those are polyurethane bushings, right? Have you noticed any harshness in the ride quality or any squeaks?

Edit: I just noticed you're running on 22" wheels in Los Angeles! You are a brave man, sir!

Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 AM
SWA

Nah, itsi been quiet. Took a quick weekend trip to Palm Springs and had no issues with squeeks or noticible unbearable harhness. I'm used to the ride being a little harder because of the 22 inch wheels. I've only been here in LA less than 6 months by way of Texas, and had a little knowledge that the streets are like driving off-road. LOL I'm cool with it because when I purchased my car I opted for the lifetime warranty that covers any wheels and tires that I have. I'm pretty sure I'll be using it in the near future. So yes, I'm a brave man with a warranty. LOL

Old 10-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same clunk

Hi!! So I got a 2011 xj 5.0 s/c, just a month ago and it has this chunk noise I think similar to yours... did it stops or went more silent when you were braking?
Thanks a lot and greetibgs from Chile!
greatibgs
Update : The XJ has 95K miles on it now. I had the plugs changed at an independent shop last month. I told him about the knock and informed him of EVERYTHING I had replaced at the dealership. He called me and said my front sway bar bushings were worn and were causing the clunk. I informed him I already had those replaced. He held to his diagnostic. Since his cost to change the plugs was half of the dealerships price, I gave him the go ahead on the sway bar bushings. I asked him if he would guarantee that this would solve the clunk/knock. He wouldn't, but he REALLY believed this was the issue. Well after 1000+ miles on the new bushings, the knock is finally gone! I didn't want to post right away, just in case the knock came back in a couple weeks. Drove the car from California to Las Vegas and back, and a few weeks going to work and back. NO KLUNK. Like a new car! The sway bar bushings were the first thing I replaced many miles ago? I chased that clunk with many dollars and time. Makes me wonder if they were actually changed at the dealership the first time? Well at least at 95K miles, all of my suspension is near new. Good for another 95K miles.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 PM
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

It is important when replacing the sway bar bushings to make sure when they torque them down, the wheels are on the ground under load, not hanging in the air on the lift. You want the car and on a drive on lift, not a frame lift.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,236 Likes on 1,765 Posts

Yes Polyester is correct. We have had this reported several times.
The car weight must be on the suspension when tightening those sway bar mounts.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:08 AM
Received 490 Likes on 261 Posts

thanks for follow-up. makes future searching more successful!

Old 10-25-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a lot!
just receive the powerflex usa bushings... with all the problems here in Chile by now I have to wait to put them... I’ll be telling you if it works... thanks again!
It is important when replacing the sway bar bushings to make sure when they torque them down, the wheels are on the ground under load, not hanging in the air on the lift. You want the car and on a drive on lift, not a frame lift.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since I purchased this 2011 XJ Base N/A CPO car, there has been a slight clunk over small bumps in the road at low speed. Also, while driving slow, you rock the steering wheel left and right, you can hear the clunk. The clunk is slowly getting louder.

I took it in and had the following replaced.
*Front shocks
*Upper Shock mounts
*Sway bar Bushings
*Sway bar links
*front control links
*upper wishbones complete with bushings and ball joints
*1 engine mount (CPO warranty would only replace one) warranty expired 14 days ago.
*transmission mount
The only things left are the other engine mount, which I am going to do and the lower Ball joints. (but they are tight).

Now I am wondering if it is actually anything to do with the suspension, or is it something structural or steering or? Any suggestions where to look would be great.

Note, every time I take it in and they do an alignment. The clunk seems to go away for a little while, but it slowly returns. It seems after the car was lifted up in the air, it solves the clunk issue for a little while until it settles back down, then it returns. I was hoping they would find it under warranty, but that time is passed.
Did you figure out the issue?? I have the '11 XJL with the same exact problem..:-(.. I heard it could be the upper and lower shock mounts

Old 03-16-2020, 03:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the '11 XJL also non SC, did you get to the bottom of that clunk?? This damn clunk is driving me crazy. When I rock the steering wheel back and forth I can hear to :-(

Quick Reply: Chasing a front end clunk